Hatten in Flames - Terrain / EC Questions...

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just got my copy of Hatten in Flames and it looks super awesome! First thing I have bought in quite a while as I have not been playing much for some time. But I hope to get in a playing of HF3 with a buddy in a couple weeks and I am looking forward to that.

Couple questions to clarify that I am reading things right...

1) SSRs say EC are wet with ground snow, but I don't see anywhere whether it says roads are plowed or not... I would guess if it's not specified that means they are NOT plowed, but wanted to see what the consensus there is. Plowed or no?

2) With SSR2.3 that "all multi-hex buildings have a ground level only", it looks like there are only 5 (?) places on the map where you can be higher than level 0 - The church in N7 is specifically called out in SSR2.4 as being 2 levels and steeple (L0, L1, L2). Then you have the school in I12,the Synagogue in T7 and the train station in AA13 that have stairwell symbols. Those I am assuming are 1 1/2 level obstacle and have a level 0 and level 1, is that correct? And finally, what's the story on the Temple Neuf in M12? It's marked with a steeple symbol, but not quite the same one as the church in N7, so... Not sure on that one. Any help there?

I think that's it for the moment. Only other thing I found slightly amusing is that it's called "Hatten in Flames" and yet by SSR Kindling is NA...! I feel cheated! LOL!

SgtStahler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I think I answered my own question on #1... E3.733 explicitly states "roads are plowed only by SSR" and since I don't see anywhere that is mentioned in the SSRs, it looks like my assumption of roads NOT plowed sounds right.

Still curious about the other though.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My take on your Q#2 was that the buildings are still 1.5 High (if otherwise normally so) for LOS purposes but contain only a grpond level for use [EXC: Those designated otherwise by SSR]. I believe the same to be true for the other buildings marked with a steeple location and that access to these upper levels is simply NA for whatever reason.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
2) With SSR2.3 that "all multi-hex buildings have a ground level only", it looks like there are only 5 (?) places on the map where you can be higher than level 0
All the EmRR hexes are also higher than Level 0 - they are at Level 1/2.

Then you have the school in I12,the Synagogue in T7 and the train station in AA13 that have stairwell symbols. Those I am assuming are 1 1/2 level obstacle and have a level 0 and level 1, is that correct?
Correct - per B31.3:
"A building with a large white center dot (EX: 45E8) is a 1½-level LOS obstacle with both a ground- and first-level Location and an inherent stairwell. ..."

And finally, what's the story on the Temple Neuf in M12? It's marked with a steeple symbol, but not quite the same one as the church in N7, so... Not sure on that one. Any help there?
It has a ground level Location and a Steeple Location at Level 1.
B31.2:
"A building hex with a black center dot in a white cross (EX: 46AA7) denotes a church with a Steeple Location in that hex—i.e., an additional building Location, with an inherent stairwell leading to it from ground level, above what would otherwise be the highest building Location of that hex...."

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My take on your Q#2 was that the buildings are still 1.5 High (if otherwise normally so) for LOS purposes but contain only a grpond level for use [EXC: Those designated otherwise by SSR]. I believe the same to be true for the other buildings marked with a steeple location and that access to these upper levels is simply NA for whatever reason.
I have played several scenarios and a CG from Hatten and assumed that all the multi-hex buildings were still 1.5 high (obstacles). But after reading your statement I got to thinking (over thinking?)...

B23.22..."All buildings of this type have an inherent stairwell present in each hex to allow movement between levels."

Technically, the multi-hex buildings on the Hatten map do not meet the requirements of B23.22. HF2.3 really should have included a statement that they are still considered 1.5 level obstacles...if that was their intention...which it probably was.

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
I have played several scenarios and a CG from Hatten and assumed that all the multi-hex buildings were still 1.5 high (obstacles). But after reading your statement I got to thinking (over thinking?)...

B23.22..."All buildings of this type have an inherent stairwell present in each hex to allow movement between levels."

Technically, the multi-hex buildings on the Hatten map do not meet the requirements of B23.22. HF2.3 really should have included a statement that they are still considered 1.5 level obstacles...if that was their intention...which it probably was.

Fair question. The height of the buildings in Hatten without a first level location is Level 1. Andy Rogers (Hatten designer)

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
2.4 ÉGLISE SAINT-MICHEL: The building in hex N7 is Église Saint-Michel. This church is a Single-Hex Two-Story House (B31.3) that also contains a Steeple Location (B31.2) in the hex—i.e., an additional, Level 2 Location.

so you have level 0 - normal stacking Level 1 normal stacking - level 2 steeple stacking reminds me of church tongue

nathan brown

Infrequent Flyer
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So this wasn't a village full of really tall Germans (Alsations?) Andy!

I'd always played Ground Level only with plateau (roof) at lvl1 but it was interesting to see different opinions