Data on how awful two-tone counters are and how to phase them out

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK. I have a hard time imagining what historical scenario could be represented which actually takes advantage of the features of TTC, unless it's more Hungarian action. Maybe a GMD vs Reds campaign? That would certainly be cool! If they aren't your projects, hopefully the powers that be will chime in and explain. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait, but you can understand why I don't find it a compelling counterargument, I hope.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe if you thought about it less it wouldn’t bother you so much. I bet you don’t like two toned bowling shoes either, point taken.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the look of the two toned counters. Your argument certainly has some merit. Clearly, there is no attempt being made to economize counters. Therefore, nothing is going to change...
Steve

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm generally OK with them if they're properly in register. Of course that applies to SCCs as well.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting thesis, but I am shocked and appalled by the blatant, almost newbie-ish, failure to take advantage of an AO (Acronym Opportunity). You used "two-tone" no less than 35 times and not a single "TT". You passed up the opportunity for TTC (Two-Tone Counter) 13 times, and TTN (Two-Tone Nationality) six times.

Who am I, Iron Man? I'm supposed to have the stamina to read all those letters? I'm a Merican, dammit! GWTP!
To be fair, TT would be an abbreviation, not an acronym. Signed, Captain Pete Antic (in a white wine sauce)

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some folks have entirely too much time on their hands......

May God give us MORE of "too much time on our hands". Otherwise, would we have enough time for a hobby?

I would also observe that the time stamp for this post (very questionable I know) indicates that it does not qualify as an April Fools thing......

OTOH, there is more than a little merit to Tuomo's castigation of the OP regarding the abysmal utilization of acronym opportunities.

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Some folks have entirely too much time on their hands......

I would also observe that the time stamp for this post (very questionable I know) indicates that it does not qualify as an April Fools thing......

OTOH, there is more than a little merit to Tuomo's castigation of the OP regarding the abysmal utilization of acronym opportunities.
AOs surely ?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK. I have a hard time imagining what historical scenario could be represented which actually takes advantage of the features of TTC, unless it's more Hungarian action. Maybe a GMD vs Reds campaign? That would certainly be cool! If they aren't your projects, hopefully the powers that be will chime in and explain. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait, but you can understand why I don't find it a compelling counterargument, I hope.
There are more than Hungarian/GMD TTC in the official mix grasshoppa. ;)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
8) Are there other two-tone counters I don't know about that I can dunk on?
Broken Ground counters:
Polish
Free French
Romanian
Partisan - W.Eur.
Partisan - E.Eur.
Partisan - Balkans
Filippino Guerrillas (coming soon)

GMD in one colour! Blue: darker than French, as per GMD flag

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Broken Ground counters:
Polish
Free French
Romanian
Partisan - W.Eur.
Partisan - E.Eur.
Partisan - Balkans
Filippino Guerrillas (coming soon)

GMD in one colour! Blue: darker than French, as per GMD flag
Bounding Fire Production has two tone color counters
Polish from Poland in Flames

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am actually experimenting with the development of mutli-tone color counters (MTCCs). I am also experimenting with dotted counters (MTCDCs) you hold up to your eyes and as you slowly move it away it the image is revealed (but only if you concentrate...but not too hard). Sort of like a Seraut. This will be part of my "Fog of War" collection. Is it SPW251 or a Panther? Just concentrate...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Maybe we could develop iridescent counters, ones that are different colors at different angles. One could even imagine having two different images on the one side of an iridescent counter, say both broken and good order. Rather than flip over the counter when the unit breaks, you would just look at it at a different angle.

There's even something philosophical about that. The duality. Two aspects of the same. And yet different.

I don't think we can get rid of two tone counters. Whether you like them or hate them, they are Art. They tell us something about ourselves, whether we find facing our truth pleasant or not.

JR

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
@hongkongwargamer if you or anybody else gets a chance, I am happy to add the Blood & Jungle results to my table. All we need is number of scenarios that use any TTCs, and then which of those scenarios are in each of the classes. I think I give enough info in the OP to replicate my methods, although I'm happy to take a look at scenarios if it's unclear. As I mention in my OP, I don't think that there are any scenarios in my collection that feature the Red Chinese, which is why I don't give G18.4 much weight. But as more data comes in, I'm happy to revisit the question. (Although I should also note that MMP is busy printing "SD attempt" counters, so it's not as though space on the sprues is at a premium. We couldn't just print off a set of Russian Brown Chinese SW if we wanted to take the GMD monotone. It seems kinda weird to say "we absolutely must print out every iteration of DFF counters as well Russian leader counters with Korean names" but reject out of hand the idea that a Rising Sun reprint might give the Reds their own SW).
I am sure anything is possible.

However:
  • I don't want to have an identical set of Chinese SW counters in Russian counters, especially when the Russians don't use them.
  • When it's a GMD vs Red Chinese game and a SW gets captured by the other side, I don't want the SW to stick out in the stack nor do I want to have do dig out the corresponding SW in the other color. (There's no captured use issues.)
  • Worse than paying for a "sD attempt counter" (what's wrong with that?) here and there, I don't want to have pay extra for an identical set of SW counters nor it's shipping weight).
I have absolutely ZERO issues with TTC. There are many "fights" in the world and perhaps even a few in ASL, but TTC is not the one that perks my interest nor strikes me as economically effective.

Get 'Blood & Jungle", that's a no-brainer.