Daisy chain counter: is there such a thing?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
B28.531 refers to daisy chain counters. Is there such a counter? The picture next to B28.531 shows an ordinary A-T Mine, suggesting that there is no special counter for daisy chains. I can't recall having seen a special counter for them.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
B28.531 refers to daisy chain counters. Is there such a counter? The picture next to B28.531 shows an ordinary A-T Mine, suggesting that there is no special counter for daisy chains. I can't recall having seen a special counter for them.

JR
Daisy Chain is destroyed as soon as it used, so why would you need a counter for it?

Per B28.531 "A SSR may allow....a Daisy Chain....Such placement is noted on paper...A Daisy Chain...can attack only once; thereafter it ceases to exist."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Daisy Chain is destroyed as soon as it used, so why would you need a counter for it?

Per B28.531 "A SSR may allow....a Daisy Chain....Such placement is noted on paper...A Daisy Chain...can attack only once; thereafter it ceases to exist."
Yes, but B28.531 talks about the unit possesses "that Daisy Chain counter", and any "Daisy Chain counter which has not yet attacked can be Recovered like any other SW." The rule refers to a counter, which as far as I know is a ½-inch or 5⁄8-inch piece of cardboard, and in no way reflects any real-life entity. As far as I understand, the rule is referring to a game piece. So my question, does such a counter exist?

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I've never seen a daisy chain counter, but the rules also refer to them specifically as "Daisy Chain A-T mines." The few times I have used them in a scenario, I've had the units portage around an AT mine counter. Seems reasonable as a daisy chain is considered another way to deploy your OoB mines.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never seen a daisy chain counter, but the rules also refer to them specifically as "Daisy Chain A-T mines." The few times I have used them in a scenario, I've had the units portage around an AT mine counter. Seems reasonable as a daisy chain is considered another way to deploy your OoB mines.
All very well reasoned. Alas you fell for jrv's ploy. This was just another in his "missing counter" series but he decided to obfuscate this with a fancy new title. So you have had your due notice. We expect better of you in his next attempt at the same subterfuge.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
All very well reasoned. Alas you fell for jrv's ploy. This was just another in his "missing counter" series but he decided to obfuscate this with a fancy new title. So you have had your due notice. We expect better of you in his next attempt at the same subterfuge.
Actually I was reading rules, and I realized I didn't remember seeing such a counter. Every so often I find a counter I have forgotten, so it's possible this was one.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
How humiliating! But thanks for letting me know.

...Now back to clipping my "To Kill Attempt Pending" counters.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A Daisy Chain counter would be an AT mine counter of the appropriate strength possessed by a unit
The problem here is that if the Daisy chain is dropped and unpossessed, it is indistinguishable from a revealed A-T mine.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I was reading rules, and I realized I didn't remember seeing such a counter. Every so often I find a counter I have forgotten, so it's possible this was one.

JR
Of course...you read the rules LOOKING for the missing counter. It is a sport for you...and we enjoy, or some of us do, your series on this theme. I was just trying to clue in the hapless to your new marketing scheme.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Of course...you read the rules LOOKING for the missing counter. It is a sport for you...and we enjoy, or some of us do, your series on this theme. I was just trying to clue in the hapless to your new marketing scheme.
I was reading the rules trying to find non-unit targets for ordnance, so I could compose a question about firing ordnance at such. See http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/there-has-got-to-be-a-morning-after-a-better-way-roadblocks-and-afv.151336/#post-1969312 ff. I was fairly sure that Daisy Chains were treated as SW, but I had to make sure. One has to be thorough.

JR

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The problem here is that if the Daisy chain is dropped and unpossessed, it is indistinguishable from a revealed A-T mine.
Well, of course you need to mark it with a "this is not an A-T minefield" counter.

Alternately you can mark your revealed A-T minefield counters with a "revealed A-T minefield" marker.

Either way your problem is solved. It's completely unreasonable to expect that players can just remember whether they placed an A-T minefield in a hex during setup, let alone assume that they are capable of looking up their scenario setup notes!

More seriously: I'd bet 20 cents that the B28 rules were written in the very early days of the rulebook composition, on the assumption that there would, indeed, be Daisy Chain counters in the countermix ... but saner heads prevailed, no such counters were created, and nobody thought to revise the text of the rule. (IMO quite a lot of Chapter B falls into the category of "nobody thought to revise the text of the rule".)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sacrifice one or two of your AT markers and use a sharpie to add a "D" or "DC"?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never. I'd sooner give up my right arm.

JR
C'mon, you don't have any worn, 1st or 2nd edition counters you've retired? I also hope you are left handed ...

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And now I've got to go and draw up some daisy-chain counters to print up ...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Either way your problem is solved. It's completely unreasonable to expect that players can just remember whether they placed an A-T minefield in a hex during setup, let alone assume that they are capable of looking up their scenario setup notes!
You make me wonder if the real issue of this thread could be that we are an ageing community and that memory is failing us more and more.
That and the fact that ASL limits side recording quite a lot, so we don't like to note things not to forget on a piece of paper.
I use an AT mine counter to depict a daisy chain : when carried by a unit, there is no possible confusion. After it is placed, I remember that it is a Daisy Chain.
Especially as Daisy Chains are quite rarely available in a scenario.
Now, if some day a special Daisy Chain counter was printed, I would use it. But I don't have it on the top of my priority list.