Malayan Campaign Scenario Recommendations

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope that I might bother for scenario recommendations. In particular, I would like to find balanced (non-night) scenarios from the Malayan Campaign, from Dec 1941 - Jan 1942. If the scenario involved Japanese bicycles, that would be icing on the cake. If I were a bit more savvy about the various ASL websites, I could probably figure this out without troubling people (so, apologies). Still, I would welcome any recommendations.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Children of the Kunai PBP3 is one of the best scenarios out there full stop....don't dare leave it out.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Children of the Kunai PBP3 is one of the best scenarios out there full stop....don't dare leave it out.
Oh, but I don't own the Paddington Bears pack (and it's unlikely that I'll find a copy of the one). sigh...

Edit: Ah, found it in Critical Hit #3. Great!

Last edited:

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This scenario pack might be of interest:

It contains HASL map based scenarios and ones from geomorphic boards. Loads of fun to be had and I believe bicycles make an appearance but I'll have to check.

Action Pack #9: To the Bridge would also be worth considering.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Umm ... the St Louis Club's Burma package is an excellent ASL product, but Malaya and Burma are different countries. The OP request was for Malayan Campaign scenarios, not any old PTO offerings.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This scenario pack might be of interest:

It contains HASL map based scenarios and ones from geomorphic boards. Loads of fun to be had and I believe bicycles make an appearance but I'll have to check.

Action Pack #9: To the Bridge would also be worth considering.
I do own the St Louis offering, but would like to explore Yamashita's Malayan campaign. I used to be a competitive cyclist, so the fact that the Japanese forces relied heavily on bicycles during the campaign is an interesting twist that makes it quite interesting to me.

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty darn cool!
I hope this is what you were looking for. We had a good time with it. Singapore By Moonlight is no easy scenario, but how often does one get the opportunity to conduct a night amphibious assault with the Japanese? I think that it’s the only night scenario by I may be mistaken. I can’t remember if any involve bicycles.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope this is what you were looking for. We had a good time with it.
This is the mother lode, so it's perfect! Until recently, I was completely ignorant of any PTO history outside that of the USMC. As I've been reading a bit on the Malayan campaign, I find it quite interesting - I want to better understand how the Brits managed to lose so quickly to such a numerically inferior enemy.
Some of the scenarios have some pretty obscure sources (as I'm a relatively new ASL player), but I will track down those that I can.
It's a darn shame, though, that none involve bicycles. :)
Singapore By Moonlight is no easy scenario, but how often does one get the opportunity to conduct a night amphibious assault with the Japanese?
I'm definitely not yet quite ready for that beast (I'm just now getting around to learning night rules). I will put this one on my "grail list" (right beside "Bloody Red Beach"). Maybe by the time that I'm ready to try it I will find a copy (Rout Report is way before my time in ASL).

Again, thank you for pointing out the list.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Until recently, I was completely ignorant of any PTO history outside that of the USMC. As I've been reading a bit on the Malayan campaign, I find it quite interesting - I want to better understand how the Brits managed to lose so quickly to such a numerically inferior enemy.
Wait until you read up on Burma, there's 3 & 1/2 years of Brit, Chinese, American action in the that campaign; similar start, the Brits were rolled back & bundled west fairly rapidly.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wait until you read up on Burma, there's 3 & 1/2 years of Brit, Chinese, American action in the that campaign; similar start, the Brits were rolled back & bundled west fairly rapidly.
The book that I'm reading now (Yenne's The Imperial Japanese Army: The Invincible Years 1941–42) is just getting to the Burma campaign. I'm looking froward to getting an introduction.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a 15 scenario linked campaign covering the Japanese invasion of Malaya that we played last year.

Hey, Tom! I just cracked the code that it was you whom I met at Ritter's - you are a beast player, sir! I enjoyed the bit of chatting that we were able to do. Certainly a pleasure to meet you.

I've managed to find some of the old CH Rout Paks and Paddington Bear packs now, so will be setting up "The Glory Road" for some solitaire play (the guys at club are generally not PTO devotees).

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, Tom! I just cracked the code that it was you whom I met at Ritter's - you are a beast player, sir! I enjoyed the bit of chatting that we were able to do. Certainly a pleasure to meet you.

I've managed to find some of the old CH Rout Paks and Paddington Bear packs now, so will be setting up "The Glory Road" for some solitaire play (the guys at club are generally not PTO devotees).
Dave, I could probably provide the scenarios that you don’t have. Get with me at the Bitter Ender.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave, I could probably provide the scenarios that you don’t have. Get with me at the Bitter Ender.
Tom, thank you but not necessary - I've got enough Malayan scenarios to keep me going for a long time. I just wanted to say "Hello" now that we've had a chance to meet.

Because I'm an ASL noob (and one with a a jarhead thick skull), it's not easy to match players I've met with their Gamesquad names. I was just finally happy to noodle through who you are. Hope to see you next year at Derek's place.