A24 Cruiser Mk VII Cavalier .. is this tank represented in Chapter H?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
British vehicle note 10 speaks of the Cavalier's failure: I would presume that it never went further than prototype stage.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ah cool .. thanks very much. This reconfirms my belief that by and large, any hardware that matters is in Chapter H.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
KE guys did produce a rare British vehicles pack - but I presume that it still featured designs which actually did see combat.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Wikipedia mentions that a dozen were given to the Free French.

View attachment 7764
If it was considered a failure even by the British (and that does mean something with their tank designs...) maybe you should add an asteriks to the red MP with some extra unpleasentness to be expected on Start Roll of 11 or something - Stall, burning engine, whatever.

von Marwitz

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
If it was considered a failure even by the British (and that does mean something with their tank designs...) maybe you should add an asteriks to the red MP with some extra unpleasentness to be expected on Start Roll of 11 or something - Stall, burning engine, whatever.

von Marwitz
It was not good, but did not achieve Covenanter, never mind TOG or Valiant status.

Think of it as a three quarter way house between Crusader and Cromwell. The A24, A27L and A27M started as the Cromwell I, II and III were later named Cavalier, Centaur and Cromwell. The Cavalier used the Crusader's Wilson transmission and braking from the Crusader and an upgraded version of the Crusader's Liberty engine (a design going back to WW1). The Centaur and Cromwell used a Merrit-Brown transmission based on that used in the Churchill, the Centaur using the Cavalier's Liberty while the Cromwell used a de-rated Merlin named the Meteor. A Centaur could be upgraded to Cromwell with an engine change and theoretically visa versa but not the Cavalier.

I would judge the Cavalier to be not much worse than the Crusader and fairly close to the Centaur in reliability. True that development work and mechanical fixes would have concentrated on the Centaur and Cromwell in preference, but they would have got many fixes and patches as so much was in common between the three. So I judge Red MP to be enough. In their mainly training role there was time to iron out the worst faults, they are not in the same league as Kursk era Panthers. In practice they could have been better than Crusaders as they did not have to cope with the dust levels of the DTO.

So overall bad, but not that bad.

Last edited:

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

von Marwitz
Hey....Fireflys, Churchill AVREs, Crocodiles, Centurions...

You must be talking about Italian or ja apanese tanks...

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was not good, but did not achieve Covenanter, never mind TOG or Valiant status.

Think of it as a three quarter way house between Crusader and Cromwell. The A24, A27L and A27M started as the Cromwell I, II and III were later named Cavalier, Centaur and Cromwell. The Cavalier used the Crusader's Wilson transmission and braking from the Crusader and an upgraded version of the Crusader's Liberty engine (a design going back to WW1). The Centaur and Cromwell used a Merrit-Brown transmission based on that used in the Churchill, the Centaur using the Cavalier's Liberty while the Cromwell used a de-rated Merlin named the Meteor. A Centaur could be upgraded to Cromwell with an engine change and theoretically visa versa but not the Cavalier.

I would judge the Cavalier to be not much worse than the Crusader and fairly close to the Centaur in reliability. True that development work and mechanical fixes would have concentrated on the Centaur and Cromwell in preference, but they would have got many fixes and patches as so much was in common between the three. So I judge Red MP to be enough. In their mainly training role there was time to iron out the worst faults, they are not in the same league as Kursk era Panthers. In practice they could have been better than Crusaders as they did not have to cope with the dust levels of the DTO.

So overall bad, but not that bad.
I wonder exactly, at times, how BAD an AFV must truly BE, to rate "Valiant" status.... The only tank design ever invented that gets regularly used to have students crawl through it just to note all the deficiencies and design mistakes.

At least the Covenanter got used for training.

:)