AAR - The Commissar's Folly - BFP-147

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I took some time off from sending off emails asking for help on behalf of the Nigerian oil minister's wife to play a game with Walt Kenney. This was at a local game store, where the Geek shall inherit the Earth. Most games being played used cards that had nothing at all to do with Offboard Artillery. Weird.

Walt had picked the scenario, and wanted to be the Russians. Russians are attacking a Polish village, with a 76 infantry gun for support. The Poles get 2 HMGs and 2 MMGs. VC are for the Russians to control 2 out of a possible 3 victory buildings. Plus for the Poles - only 5 turns, so there isn't much time. Minus for the Poles - the Russians start pretty much across the street.

Walt offered to take my surrender before the game started, and promised a big picnic in the woods for all of my officers.

I only had 1 squad up front, with a couple dummy stacks. I didn't want to give the INF gun any shots from a hex it could set up in.

First two turns, Russian Prep did nothing. Charging Russians got some guys into or across the street, but I broke a lot of them. They were able to rout back to the Commissar, who did an awesome job rallying.

Walt kept making Star Wars references, which made me think that either he thought we were playing a different game, or that his doctor should re-evaluate his med levels.

Two "1" snipers broke, then reduced my right flank squad. My squad in the center broke.

Russian Turn 3, the INF gun is finally pushed to where it could see something. Four of my positions break. A Russian squad went Berserk in the rally phase, and charged my MMG house on the left. They died in the street in proper Sam Peckinpah style, but it allowed a squad and 7-1 to get into CC with me. My squad gets reduced in CC.

Pole Turn 3, the Commissar rallies another conscript. I think that this was his 7th rally in a row. But he finally decided to unholster his pistol, and reduced the other conscript squad.

My sniper woke up and nailed the Commissar right in the head.

Actually, snipers can represent other events, like a stray artillery shell, someone dropping a grenade, or, as seems likely in this case, fragging of an officer by his own troops. "He shot Ivan and Dmitri!!! Let's get him!!!"

I lose the MMG HS in Melee, and Walt has his first victory building. I am down to a HS in another victory building.

R4, and there are lots of Russians in the center of town. Walt takes one hex of a victory building. My 9-1/Hero/ HMG stack is still holding out in the building on the right.

My Turn 4, and my broken guys have all rallied. Walt has left the one victory building open, and I am able to run a 7-0 and squad around and get back in through the back door.

I move more guys into the contested victory building, and get a HS upstairs.

R5, Walt's Prep breaks most of my troops in the contested building. He gets a squad back into the victory building with my 7-0 and squad. We have three CCs. I lose a HS, but my upstairs HS gets Ambush, and runs back down the stairs.

My Turn 5, and I move some guys over to advance into the Melee. A crew and my Hero make it, but my 9-1 and squad are brutally gunned down by snake eyes. His INF gun FINALLY gets a hit, on a broken HS, and rolls a PTC.

CC, I win the Melee on my left, so I control that victory building. The Melee in the center building continues, and I still have the HS in good order downstairs, so I control that also. Game over, and Polish Win! Let's celebrate with a picnic!!!

This was a fun, tight game, and I think it is a lot closer than ROAR would indicate. A couple good CC rolls would have given Walt the victory.

This was the first time that I have played Walt. He was fun to play against, and I wish him the best of luck in his upcoming espionage trial.

Pic of the game at the end. Half the remaining Russians were broken.

Actually, this IS the droid I was looking for...