A word on files in the 'Resource' area

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It appears that a lot of people have taken the time to visit the resource area and download the files which other members have kindly made available there. But despite all the download activity, almost no one has taken the time to leave a rating.

Was it worth the time to download or was it a waste of time? It literally takes one click to leave a rating, so that's not much to ask in return for getting a free file. Rating the resource not only helps the author know whether it needs to be improved, but also lets other gamers know which resources are worth downloading and which ones to avoid.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
On a related note, how would you feel about an automated system which would allow members to be able to sell their own content in the resource area?

This would be different than the emporium, which is a classified ad system for selling an individual item. What we're talking about here is giving members the ability to sell, say, maps, play guides, scenarios, or even entire games in file format. This could be image files, Pdf files, or a zip file containing an assortment of files of different types.

How it would work is you simply upload the files, set a price, fill in a few things like your PayPal info, and then every time someone downloads your resource you get paid.

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested. But there could be issues if folks dont own the intellectual property rights of posted items?

On a related note, how would you feel about an automated system which would allow members to be able to sell their own content in the resource area?

This would be different than the emporium, which is a classified ad system for selling an individual item. What we're talking about here is giving members the ability to sell, say, maps, play guides, scenarios, or even entire games in file format. This could be image files, Pdf files, or a zip file containing an assortment of files of different types.

How it would work is you simply upload the files, set a price, fill in a few things like your PayPal info, and then every time someone downloads your resource you get paid.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I would be interested. But there could be issues if folks dont own the intellectual property rights of posted items?
Yes, in order to post paid resources, members would have to agree to Terms of Use where the poster explicitly agrees to only post items which he/she fully owns, and furthermore takes full responsibility for all content posted for sale. Violations of that policy would result in a permanent ban from the site and the removal of all the offender's resources.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Speak softly and carry a big stick - nice!

I think it would be great for the “little guy” to get out labors of love to the community

Yes, in order to post paid resources, members would have to agree to Terms of Use where the poster explicitly agrees to only post items which he/she fully owns, and furthermore takes full responsibility for all content posted for sale. Violations of that policy would result in a permanent ban from the site and the removal of all the offender's resources.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

Mixed thoughts about this.

On one hand, it seems a good idea.

On the other hand, I would be reluctant to monetarize everything.

Sure, creating maps, scenarios, player-guides, etc. is a lot of work and could in many cases justify paying for such things. But on the other hand, money would destroy some things in the hobby.

I can't judge for other games in this forum, but at least this is how I feel about ASL.

von Marwitz

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mixed thoughts about this.

On one hand, it seems a good idea.

On the other hand, I would be reluctant to monetarize everything.

Sure, creating maps, scenarios, player-guides, etc. is a lot of work and could in many cases justify paying for such things. But on the other hand, money would destroy some things in the hobby.

I can't judge for other games in this forum, but at least this is how I feel about ASL.
I get what you are saying...however, the decision to monetize would be voluntary as would the decision to buy. It wouldn't take long for the chaff to settle out.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes, absolutely. I'm guessing the majority of the resources would remain free. But some premium content might be posted which would go for a small fee. It would be up to the member whether it would be free or paid.

That's the way it is on the official XenForo site. Most of the content is free, but you have to pay for the good stuff.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Agree 100% with von Marwitz here. Monetizing contributed stuff, in my experience, is usually a bad idea. Microtransactions are evil, and encourage bad designs that will be sold for cheap ("I don't have much to lose").

But, I'd love to be proved wrong in the context of the ASL community.