Best Counter Clipper

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I much prefer the smaller metal version from Oregon, I have a 2 and a 3, but use the 2 for all things ASL. I had a big one but didn't like it at all. Much slower and unwieldy.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have the big one, and it is a bit heavy - if I do a long clipping session, my arm will get tired since I cannot really let the clipper lay on some surface (plus I need to turn it to the side from time to time to get rid of the clippings). I'm still very happy with it though, it does a very good job. I didn't know they had a smaller (and hopefully lighter) version; the one I have cost me enough (with S&H to Europe costing roughly as much as the item) that I'm not ready to buy another just for the sake of comparison.

But then, the heavier tool discouraging long clipping sessions isn't necessarily a bad things; it's a boring task, so I'd rather not spend a whole afternoon at it. For most mortals (those who think a full ASL OB is a lot of counters, not just a small part of their collection) it should be acceptable.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
No offense to your brother or your powers of observation, but I've never once in my life seen counters clipped with toenail clippers that I didn't think to myself "Wow, those don't look good at all. It looks like they were done with toenail clippers." So I guess that's why you spend good money on something or you do it and it looks like you used a 25 cent item (as if toenail clippers actually cost 25 cents) to do it. Why spend $100 plus on the newest module and then clip them half assed with toenail clippers?
I have the big one, and it is a bit heavy - if I do a long clipping session, my arm will get tired since I cannot really let the clipper lay on some surface (plus I need to turn it to the side from time to time to get rid of the clippings). I'm still very happy with it though, it does a very good job. I didn't know they had a smaller (and hopefully lighter) version; the one I have cost me enough (with S&H to Europe costing roughly as much as the item) that I'm not ready to buy another just for the sake of comparison.

But then, the heavier tool discouraging long clipping sessions isn't necessarily a bad things; it's a boring task, so I'd rather not spend a whole afternoon at it. For most mortals (those who think a full ASL OB is a lot of counters, not just a small part of their collection) it should be acceptable.

I have the deluxe ones in 2 &3mm and find no problem clippping for several hours at a time, I was doing catch up so taking a couple of hundred counters out clip them and put them back in I suppose gives me a short break between sessions but find them easy to use.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recommended you clip them like Paul Sidhu did, LOL. Cracks me up.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No offense to your brother or your powers of observation, but I've never once in my life seen counters clipped with toenail clippers that I didn't think to myself "Wow, those don't look good at all. It looks like they were done with toenail clippers." So I guess that's why you spend good money on something or you do it and it looks like you used a 25 cent item (as if toenail clippers actually cost 25 cents) to do it. Why spend $100 plus on the newest module and then clip them half assed with toenail clippers?
Thank you.
Your words moved me to finally place an order for the 2.5 mm deluxe clipper from Oregon Laminations.
Great comment!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but they clip better upside down.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Clubby, I tried the upside down method, and I agree they look better (Beauty in the eye of the beholder). I am very pleased with the 2.5 cutter.
Mr. Gulliver, I wish you had posted that about a week and a half ago. ;)

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mr. Gulliver, I wish you had posted that about a week and a half ago. ;)
Haha! Yeah, I am usually the one that gets the 'on sale' e-mail about 15 minutes after i click the place order button.

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Going to revive this thread to ask if people can comment on the differences between the two version of Oregon Laminations' 2mm counter clipper.

The regular:

And the deluxe:

Is the deluxe really worth the extra money? If so, why?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The non deluxe destroyed my counters.
No risk of maiming counters with the Deluxe version.

ASL Maineiac

Reaction score
Did it destroy your counters just because you hadn't properly centered the counter before clipping? Or is there another fault with the regular pair?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I must be clumsy, but it is easy not to position the counter properly with the non deluxe version.
With deluxe, you cannot do it wrong.
Which saves a lot of time, btw.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most people do recommend the Deluxe version