'Likes' have now been replaced by 'Reactions'

GameSquad

Site Support
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With the upcoming update to v2.1, the likes system will be replaced by a more powerful system called 'Reactions.'

Expect to see the reactions system within the next 1-2 weeks.

GameSquad

Site Support
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The old likes system has been retired. In its place the forums now have a more powerful system where users can react to posts with a number of different emotions. Some of these have a positive connotation, some negative, and some neutral.

• Like: +1
  • Love: +2
  • HaHa: Neutral
  • Wow: Neutral
  • Sad: Neutral
  • Dislike: -1
  • Angry: -2

You'll notice that the primary statistic listed on member list items, member tooltips and member statistics is no longer just a simple "like count" but instead we're now tracking an overall "Reaction score".

This metric is the total number of positive reactions minus the total number of negative reactions.

Reactions are sent through push notifications (if not opted-out).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Question : so if I posted saying that I just rolled 6 boxcars in a row ... and a couple of friends reacted very sympathetically with “Dislike” or “Angry” (as per the practice in Facebook), I will get scored AGAINST me?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
So if I posted saying that I just rolled 6 boxcars in a row ... and a couple of friends reacted very sympathetically with “Dislike” or “Angry” (as per the practice in Facebook), I will get scored AGAINST me?
In short, yes. If a member likes your posts, you points. If a member dislikes your posts, you lose points.

That's pretty standard on most discussion forums these days. Facebook is a different animal.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Question : so if I posted saying that I just rolled 6 boxcars in a row ... and a couple of friends reacted very sympathetically with “Dislike” or “Angry” (as per the practice in Facebook), I will get scored AGAINST me?
A better sympathetic pick would be 'Sad' (the frown face) instead of 'Dislike' or 'Angry'.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
A better sympathetic pick would be 'Sad' (the frown face) instead of 'Dislike' or 'Angry'.
Agreed.

The people most likely to be “reacting” to posts are established members, anyway. So once people are familiar with the system it ought to be fairly self-explanatory.

It also bears mentioning that members can always go back and edit a reaction if need be.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I like the (very) old “Like” and “Dislike”, instead of this “I wanna be Facebook HIP but not quite” kinda middle age dad psych whereabouts.

Having said that, I do appreciate the updates and the beautiful maintenance of the best global forum for ASL.

Rgds Jack

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I like the (very) old “Like” and “Dislike”, instead of this “I wanna be Facebook HIP but not quite” kinda middle age dad psych whereabouts.
There was no 'dislike' with the old system. You could 'like' and that was it.

But it's not like any of us had a choice, as the reaction system is now a standard feature of the forum software used on GameSquad.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There was no 'dislike' with the old system. You could 'like' and that was it.

But it's not like any of us had a choice, as the reaction system is now a standard feature of the forum software used on GameSquad.
All good either way. But the first time I interacted with Witchbottles was when I gave his post about a new issue of PointBlank a “Dislike” or “Unlike”. Kevin Kenneally popped up and explained to everyone that it was probably an honest mistake. (It was).

That was before this last system of “like”-only.

:LOL:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It will interesting to see if the Politics forum will be shaped by this.
No doubt. Though it may take a while for people to actually realize the system is there and to understand what it can do, once the dislikes start flying it's going to be WW3 in there. ????⛔

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Actually HaHa gives a +1. The others seem to be correct. That is as it should be, a HaHa implies you both like it and think it is funny.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JMO - seems like a needless "improvement" on a simple, basic system. I may change my mind in time, but for now.....eh.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
JMO - seems like a needless "improvement" on a simple, basic system. I may change my mind in time, but for now.....eh.
My initial reaction was "Well ... OK". I have since come to appreciate the greater subtlety. I have given out a Sad (0) or two to reflect mild disapproval, a "Behave!" but not quite a "Bad dog!" swipe. Occasionally a particularly well made point rises above the normal Like (1) to get a Love (2), saving a needless extra praising "This!" or similar reply. Overall a very compact method of giving the reader some extra expressive leeway.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice changes!

Was not able have these choices in liking witchbottles three lovelies, but ok!