Hatten CG German AFV Setup

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
German retained AFV's are restricted to setting up 6+ hexes from any German Front Line Location. Controlled map edge hexes are part of the German perimeter loop and therefore German Front Line Locations. This appears to prevent German AFV's from setting up within 6 hexes of any board edge in addition to the true "front line". I doubt if that was the intention. Am I missing something, or is errata needed here?

Andrew Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Andy
Country
llAustralia
German retained AFV's are restricted to setting up 6+ hexes from any German Front Line Location. Controlled map edge hexes are part of the German perimeter loop and therefore German Front Line Locations. This appears to prevent German AFV's from setting up within 6 hexes of any board edge in addition to the true "front line". I doubt if that was the intention. Am I missing something, or is errata needed here?
Jeff .... good question .... this was not the intent in the design of Hatten; nor was Hatten playtested during design with this in mind. In terms of the rules, the strict reading would support you observation.

In terms of how the phrase "Front Line location" is used in the rules, it supports the 'intent' in a contextual sense. That is, in the rules, a "Front Line Location" appears to refer to a perimeter location adjacent to an enemy perimeter location OR a no-man's land location. Further, the definition of a 'Board-edge' strategic location has its own rule.

Andy