CORREGIDOR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far, I am enjoying this product.

This past weekend, on Saturday, I played CtR-4 Return to the Rock as the Americans...the landings did not go too bad for the Americans, although scattered, and they took some intital kicks in the teeth from the Japanese. Once the Americans had moved to cover and recovered sufficient support weapons, and some amazing luck (I had a squad go berserk and charge into a hex with a 2-2-8, MMG, 4-4-7, 10-1...survived all fire and then killed everyone in CC and survived), they were able to overwhelm the Japanese by turn 6.

The problem was...I had missed several key changes to the paradrop rules and ended up misplaying a number of things. This is what happens when I rush to play a new product. Yo soy menso. :(

On Sunday, I started to play CGI and replayed CtR-4 as the first scenario of the campaign, agan as the Americans. This time, I had read enough to realize my errors and corrected them for the second playing. This time, the Americans took much more punishment getting on the ground...first wave completely eliminated, second wave significantly mangled, third wave relatively intact...all support weapons wildly scattered. It is not over for the Americans yet, but they are definitely behind the curve...but I will fight on and win (I know that you are reading this, Dave!).

Semper Fi!
Scott

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far, I am enjoying this product.

This past weekend, on Saturday, I played CtR-4 Return to the Rock as the Americans...the landings did not go too bad for the Americans, although scattered, and they took some intital kicks in the teeth from the Japanese. Once the Americans had moved to cover and recovered sufficient support weapons, and some amazing luck (I had a squad go berserk and charge into a hex with a 2-2-8, MMG, 4-4-7, 10-1...survived all fire and then killed everyone in CC and survived), they were able to overwhelm the Japanese by turn 6.

The problem was...I had missed several key changes to the paradrop rules and ended up misplaying a number of things. This is what happens when I rush to play a new product. Yo soy menso. :(

On Sunday, I started to play CGI and replayed CtR-4 as the first scenario of the campaign, agan as the Americans. This time, I had read enough to realize my errors and corrected them for the second playing. This time, the Americans took much more punishment getting on the ground...first wave completely eliminated, second wave significantly mangled, third wave relatively intact...all support weapons wildly scattered. It is not over for the Americans yet, but they are definitely behind the curve...but I will fight on and win (I know that you are reading this, Dave!).

Semper Fi!e
Scott
Dave who? :)
I find it odd that some folks so far are suffering such heavy losses in their initial landings. I played this one as the Americans at least a dozen times and never lost more than 4 -5 squads by end of turn 3. When we playtested I found some folks were forgetting that MG's lose their ROF when engaging aerial targets, and that the aerial range is doubled. I am sure these were not an issue in your games. What do you suppose the cause was? I found that by trying to land as far away from the Japanese as I could and then move in to clear them limited my losses by increasing the aerial range so that I was only facing 1 -2 attacks for the most part (Hazardous Movement penalty or was simply beyond any possible defensive shots). Biggest issue for the GI's is the potential landing injuries IMO. Support weapon recovery? We don't need no stinking support weapons. Those are for sissies. I think about half of them get either lost or recovered by the Japanese anyway in this one. Interested to see how your second game goes. Thanks for the AAR. - Sarge

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
So far, I only had a chance to have a fleeting look at this nice product as it arrived only this morning.

One thing I am "missing", though, is what was found in most of the latest larger BFP publications: A magazine to go with them that included some exceptionally well made articles (Bogage, Guns, ...)

von Marwitz

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So far, I only had a chance to have a fleeting look at this nice product as it arrived only this morning.

One thing I am "missing", though, is what was found in most of the latest larger BFP publications: A magazine to go with them that included some exceptionally well made articles (Bogage, Guns, ...)

von Marwitz
Because "Coors" did not feature any one major terrain type or weapon, we did not include that sort of article with the game. Instead, a fairly large article on Corregidor will be the centerpiece for the upcoming "Recon by Fire 5" magazine due out later this year. It will feature some background information, a brief history of the battle, design decisions, basic strategies that worked in playtesting for the CG's, and other notes of interest. It will actually be a compilation of several smaller articles that were written a few years ago for Coors, plus some added features. Until then, enjoy the game!

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because "Coors" did not feature any one major terrain type or weapon, we did not include that sort of article with the game. Instead, a fairly large article on Corregidor will be the centerpiece for the upcoming "Recon by Fire 5" magazine due out later this year. It will feature some background information, a brief history of the battle, design decisions, basic strategies that worked in playtesting for the CG's, and other notes of interest. It will actually be a compilation of several smaller articles that were written a few years ago for Coors, plus some added features. Until then, enjoy the game!
DASL Corregidor scenario in RbF5?
I had to ask!

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DASL Corregidor scenario in RbF5?
I had to ask!
None that I designed or am aware of right now. Tough to make a DASL scenario for Coors since the few Deluxe boards have nothing that could represent the terrain on Corregidor. Not to say no one could not design one, it would involve a LOT of SBR's altering terrain....try to keep away from doing that as much as possible.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corregidor! Indeed...
I got mine, opened it up and, as always, was immediately impressed with the thoughfulness of the play aids provided by BFP
and the counters...
those wonderful counters...
especially the lovely 4-4-8s.
Thank you, BFP crew!
And, of course, I set up "Return to the Rock" - I just cannot resist some U.S. paratrooper vs the Emperor's finest action!!!

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corregidor! Indeed...
I got mine, opened it up and, as always, was immediately impressed with the thoughfulness of the play aids provided by BFP
and the counters...
those wonderful counters...
especially the lovely 4-4-8s.
Thank you, BFP crew!
And, of course, I set up "Return to the Rock" - I just cannot resist some U.S. paratrooper vs the Emperor's finest action!!!
Mind the variances of the paradrop rules that we've outlined. Dropping at low altitude in heavy winds on top of bombed out, jagged, pointy terrain was not fun for these brave men.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It seems to be that along the folds the maps are rather suspecible to damage and the color coming off.
Has anyone else made that observation?

von Marwitz

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We can replace them if necessary. If you can send some snapshots to support@boundingfire.com, that would also be helpful in discussing with our printer.
Rick

Your offer is very generous but while the ink is cracked at the folds it is not bad enough to need a replacement. It is most noticeable when folded but it looks as though the ink will come away from the paper with use but as I have not yet played on the map this may not happen. I would not have mentioned it had Von Marwitz not done so. If it get substantially worse I will let you know.
Thanks for your and the BFP team's efforts in supporting our hobby.
Gavin

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Rick

Your offer is very generous but while the ink is cracked at the folds it is not bad enough to need a replacement. It is most noticeable when folded but it looks as though the ink will come away from the paper with use but as I have not yet played on the map this may not happen. I would not have mentioned it had Von Marwitz not done so. If it get substantially worse I will let you know.
Thanks for your and the BFP team's efforts in supporting our hobby.
Gavin
Same here. More intended to make you as publishers aware.

von Marwitz

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same here. More intended to make you as publishers aware.

von Marwitz
Appreciate it guys. We took definite critique from Schmidt and tried a different set of print criteria for Corrs with our printer. Call it trial and error, but if there are additional/other things we need to try in order the make the next product even better, we're all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.