Our year in ASL

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No idea of the number of games I played....

Got some big CG/scenarios in with Ian Steve and Gareth ovr VASL and started a new guy locally.

Missed my March competition but got to First Fire in November.

A good year but my play has definitely got a lot worse.

In 2019 I'm looking to play some Korea and Poland in Flames. Maybe finish punching the Broken Ground counters....maybe

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I only managed to get 9 scenarios finished this year, although work, moving across the country, and then more work got heavily in the way. Important things learned:

1. Night rules - and I can't say enough how much I love the night rules. If you haven't played ASL by night, it's a totally different, totally amazing experience.
2. The amoeba. Maybe it's the scenario choices, but I was absolutely devastated by a couple of really well-executed amoeba attacks. I'd dearly love to learn how to defend against this, especially when you don't have the option of laying fire lanes every which way. I'd also love to learn how to pull it off on the attack!
3. I need to work more on "grokking" scenarios. Finishing up the PTO phase of my mentored learning, I played ASL 66, The Bushmasters, back to back, and lost both. Mostly because I was playing against a really good opponent, but also because I never really "got" what I was supposed to be doing, especially while attacking. In any scenario, how does the scenario designer expect you to use the tools given to achieve the VC?
4. I need to play the attacker more, and get better at it, especially in terms of concentration of FP at decisive points.
5. I need to play the American side more, and learn combined arms in the attack and defence.

I could go on. It's not all doom and gloom, however - I did win 5 of the 9 I played. And my numbers should increase quite a bit - I am already playing my first 2 PBEM scenarios, and am half thru my first CG in a long, long time.

Looking forward to more ASL goodness in 2019!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only managed to get 9 scenarios finished this year, although work, moving across the country, and then more work got heavily in the way. Important things learned:

1. Night rules - and I can't say enough how much I love the night rules. If you haven't played ASL by night, it's a totally different, totally amazing experience.
2. The amoeba. Maybe it's the scenario choices, but I was absolutely devastated by a couple of really well-executed amoeba attacks. I'd dearly love to learn how to defend against this, especially when you don't have the option of laying fire lanes every which way. I'd also love to learn how to pull it off on the attack!
3. I need to work more on "grokking" scenarios. Finishing up the PTO phase of my mentored learning, I played ASL 66, The Bushmasters, back to back, and lost both. Mostly because I was playing against a really good opponent, but also because I never really "got" what I was supposed to be doing, especially while attacking. In any scenario, how does the scenario designer expect you to use the tools given to achieve the VC?
4. I need to play the attacker more, and get better at it, especially in terms of concentration of FP at decisive points.
5. I need to play the American side more, and learn combined arms in the attack and defence.

I could go on. It's not all doom and gloom, however - I did win 5 of the 9 I played. And my numbers should increase quite a bit - I am already playing my first 2 PBEM scenarios, and am half thru my first CG in a long, long time.

Looking forward to more ASL goodness in 2019!
in regards to learning to use the amoeba or its related Half-squad blitz tactic (or how to defend against it), try working with nationalities or units that rely on them for effectiveness in ASL, ie Italians, Hungarians, Chinese, US Marines in a seaborne assault, paratroops, Russian conscript waves, etc. Lots to choose from in ASL in that regard. I do agree, determining where and when it will work within a given scenario is still a matter of grokking by experience. :) We'll probably see you next December as a past master of the amoeba and HS blitz technique :D.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I went 12 wins, 12 losses, 2 draws, so basically a balanced year. However, play testing was down to only 3 games. I am carrying over a playtest that is in progress and hopefully will improve on this for 2019.

Adding to the games was the beginning of the Hatten CG - completing the first scenario.

I faced 10 opponents this year with 2 new ones for me. One of the two was getting to face Paul Sidhu and finding out why he is a much better player than me. That one did not go well.

During the year I also played 9 different nationalities, so at least there was a air amount of variety.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
As an accountant in retirement the last thing I want to do is to keep meticulous records but I am sure I got in over 100 games this year at the following venues in additon to local NC play: Winter Offensive, Ritter Krieg's "Where the Iron Crosses grow, Texas ASL Team Tournament, Gettysburg ASL get together, Spreading Blaze, ASLOK and Grenadier. I played a few games at the Bitter Ender but as the TD I could not get my usual six or seven games in there but that was fine.

Many thanks go out to my opponents and TD's for the fun I had at these events, win or lose. My new year's resolution will be at least get back into the GROFAZ running by making it past its start on Thursday without a loss (a tall order these days).

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
My year in ASL has been amazing, but not in the trends of previous postings. After been decided to recover my collection of ASL (being my game since I played SL in 1978), I collected all that I lost and began to collect TPP worthly and new products attractive to my playing tastes. And, after an immersion into the rules (thanks to ASLRB pocket, what a great idea!), finally I had my first FtF scenario in many years: Retaking Vierville, which I lost (but in the last phase of the last turn, which means I hadn't lost completely my ASL instinct), and then, immediately, I said: "What if we grow up?" I missed the nuances of "full" ASL. So my opponent and I began to play (in progress) "Subterranean Quarry", using the version of AoO (and thank you very much for the play aid, Grumble Jones, or Scott Mullins, or however do you want to call yourself). We're in a progran of (re)immersion in ASL playing, so it Will be two more Scenarios of infantry only, three of infantry/arty, and three with AFVs, and then we Will enter in PTO. After that, we hope to play what scenario pleases us, and that includes DtF, FrF, LFT and some favourites from MMP and SP. Great year, I say, and greater years to come.
And I would like to say that GS has been a stimulating factor in this retaking of ASL. 99.9% of you people are very good comrades, kind informative and friendful.
Happy new year everyone, and best regards.

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me, 2018 was rediscovering ASL. And a big shout-out to Jeff Buser, who played 12 live-VASL games with me between May and December …. all the while tolerating my many gaffes and rules-misunderstandings.

My ASL re-education involved some brutal ugly games, but also mixed with a couple where I did ‘OK’. Overall, 2018 gave me many more “2” than “12” ASL moments.

Looking forward to 2019!

JohnM

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
For 2018, I completed 24 games, a bit fewer than the past few years. More than half were via VASL. Most scenarios were fun - no real stinkers - and a few stood out to me as very enjoyable (in no particular order):

FT213 Up the Liri Valley
FT219 Koniev's Finest
FrF20 Adolf's Amateurs
FrF74 Out of Their Element
FrF89 Red Tears Shed on Grey
HF4 Liehr Launches First

I enjoyed attending Spreading Blaze in Atlanta, but wasn't able to make the trek to Bitter Ender. Maybe this coming year...
Happy gaming to everyone!

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played around 40 games this year, including 24 tournament plays (21 V, 1D, 2L). The overwhelming majority of scenarios played has been satisfactory or better, probably due to the influx of quality products in 2018 in particular DTF and Hatten. Best experience with new scenario has been OS-7 Devil's Sunday, although it could not be concluded, with DTF-4 Death to Fascism a close second. Most intense game was HF-6 Jackpot Jones at ASLOK with Brian W.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
I only managed to play 11 games in 2018. Some were pretty terrible due to unskilled setups and/or horrible luck, which made me feel a bit depressed about the whole enterprise. But I finished 2018 on a high note as I finally contacted a local opponent, who is knowledgeable with ASL, so that I will hopefully do more ftf playing, plus I accumulated enough wife points/cash/time to travel to WO19 in a couple of weeks. I definitely enjoy ftf more than looking at the bright screen,

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm wrapping-up my second year of ASL. Though the win/loss record is nothing to boast of (I'm currently riding and epic losing streak), it was a great year of ASL; really, the first where I am starting to have some glimpses of how the game is actually played (seeing tactics more and focusing on struggling with the rules less). Highlights of the year include Derek Ritter's "Where the Iron Crosses Grow" get together (I met a great group of guys and had a blast, even though I was clearly the worst player there) and the usual monthly meeting of the Fredericksburg Fire Eaters. I've gotten to play numerous games against our own Justiciar, and can't thank him enough for all the energy that he's spent trying to help me become a better ASL player (though my current poor level of play is in no way a reflection on the teacher, but of the quality fo the student). In summary this past year has culminated in several ASL friendships, and that's the best part of the whole game (though ASL is also the world's best game). Finally, I'll be taking in my first Winter Offensive in a couple of weeks, and look forward to the experience!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

This was my lowest ASL output year since I started playing. My FtF opponent and I have been delving into other games for a couple years now. I think our only real ASL Action was a Squad Bleeder scenario. My regular lice VASL opponent and I also started playing other stuff (MBT), and we have barely played ASL in the past 8 months or so (we did have a PBEM game going). My PBEM games are also way down.

Burnie (regular VASL opponent) and I did our annual spring visit of ASL (along with booze and food) and got in 5-6 games. ASLOK also upped my total of games played getting in 9 or 10 scenarios there.

So, I am guessing I got in around 20 scenarios this year. Pretty low for me.

I was suffering from a little burn out (not to mention playing like crap) and it was getting to me.

Doug (regular live opponent) and I are to start the Hatten CG this month. We shall see if that re-kindles my obsession.

Still, in the end, spent a lot of time with good people and that is what its all about.

Peace

Roger

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

This was my lowest ASL output year since I started playing. My FtF opponent and I have been delving into other games for a couple years now. I think our only real ASL Action was a Squad Bleeder scenario. My regular lice VASL opponent and I also started playing other stuff (MBT), and we have barely played ASL in the past 8 months or so (we did have a PBEM game going). My PBEM games are also way down.

Burnie (regular VASL opponent) and I did our annual spring visit of ASL (along with booze and food) and got in 5-6 games. ASLOK also upped my total of games played getting in 9 or 10 scenarios there.

So, I am guessing I got in around 20 scenarios this year. Pretty low for me.

I was suffering from a little burn out (not to mention playing like crap) and it was getting to me.

Doug (regular live opponent) and I are to start the Hatten CG this month. We shall see if that re-kindles my obsession.

Still, in the end, spent a lot of time with good people and that is what its all about.

Peace

Roger
The only burnout I would expect from you would be shovelling snow!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you don’t play, you sort. If you don’t sort, you buy. If you don’t buy, you proof!
On other thing you should do if you don't play...is set up defenses. This is sort of like playing chess in your head, as you will also be moving attacking pieces against your set up. Do the for a variety of scenario types, eg city fight, meeting engagement, and so on to help you garner idea about how defenses change etc.