Repair the Oregon Laminations corner cutter

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, my deluxe corner cutter just broke, with lots more corners to cut still. I gather this is a common occurrence, but what I didn't know was how straightforward it is to repair. This hero has put up a guide on how:

I followed his instructions; it took maybe 30 minutes of work spread over three days, and I am not mechanically inclined at all, so you can definitely do it too. Easiest $100/hr I've ever made!

I don't think I did a very good job of it (drilling the guide hole for the screw is tricky, as he mentions in the video, and it took me two tries and my second wasn't too much better than the first), but it seems like there is some room for error, because my cutter is back in business now, and functioning as good as new. Will it last? I don't know, but I've clipped a couple of hundred counters without it breaking again, so that's progress.

Worth looking at the video just for instructions on how to disassemble and clean it; that's made a huge difference for me as well. I also sprayed a little silicone lubricant on the baseplate of the cutter, which has made the counters slide into the maw of the clippers much more nicely.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Still, though, if the thing breaks, they should give you a replacement.

The device breaks often enough, that the fault can be clearly identified to lay on the part of the producer.

von Marwitz

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anybody have any experience with the non-deluxe corner cutter? It appears to be made entirely out of metal, and is therefore presumably more durable. I was considering getting one of those if my repair failed.

I also looked into various table-mounted corner cutters, but didn't find any with a small enough radius.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Does anybody have any experience with the non-deluxe corner cutter? It appears to be made entirely out of metal, and is therefore presumably more durable. I was considering getting one of those if my repair failed.

I also looked into various table-mounted corner cutters, but didn't find any with a small enough radius.
Search for reviews of the non-deluxe variants on youtube.

I seem to recall that the drawback of the non-deluxe variant is that you need to hold the counter in place more pecisely than with the deluxe variant. The deluxe variant is pretty much fool-proof in this regard, the other one not so. But I might be mistaken.

von Marwitz

Lizardking

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llCanada

Ah! The great Or-Lam cutter debate.
I have the standard 'bullet-proof and armored' Std cutter at 2.5 mm and did all SL, COI, CoD and GI counters, then did all my BV and Yanks (FKaC once the pre-order limit hits and ships). Still going great and I don't quite look like Popeye yet. The trick...hold the Standard cutter upside down, place the counter so you see the backside, look at the counter corner, squeeze and let-off just enough to rotate the counter. 4-corners, give the Or-Lam a flip into the cookie sheet (to collect the corners for future art projects) Repeat.

I did dis-assemble my cutter and ground off one coil from the spring, seems to reduce the need for the 'Kung-Fu' grip.

As always, YMMV.

First Post!

Rick Galli

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I repaired my 2mm Deluxe model I followed the same instructional video posted above, but I used a pin vise to drill a pilot hole first, which made aligning and drilling the full-size screw hole a snap.