Operation : Schmidt

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At least you have a respectful conversation about the subject. Most of the other people in this forum are just CH haters and spew nothing but hate. Thanks for not being that way.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I'm glad he puts out new versions of things. I can get updated packs that I didn't have before
The problem is the “new versions” are just the same old retreads of version 1, 2, and 3 (for 80% of his stuff). Each time the price increase and it is renamed, repackaged, and reversioned.

I can list several:
  • Action at Carentan (I and II) rehashed twice (2004 and 2013)
  • Berlin I has been rehashed 5 times (Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich, or Berlin Final Days or Berlin: Final Victory (all three the same) and the wonderful news is that it has been rehashed not twice, not three times and not even four but yes count them FIVE times! (2006, 2007, 200, 2011 and 2014))!
  • Berlin II has been rehashed twice (Tyrant’s Lair: The Battle of Berlin: April 1945 or if you like Berlin: Führer’s End (2010 and 2014))
  • Gates of Hell twice (2010 and 2014).
  • Tigers to the Front!, Panther Line, Suwejo Heights (same map, same everything three times with three different names!), has been rehashed, redone the same and repriced four times (2004, 2006, 20012 and 2015)
  • Facing the Blitz, (Sturmgruppe Beton is the same rehash) has been redone 3 times (2003, 2011, and 2016).
  • Kharkov and Backhand Blow '43 (same thing) three times (2012 and 2015 and 2015, lol)
  • Hill of Blood twice (2012 and 2013)
  • A Few Rare Men twice (2012 and 2013)
  • Nordic Twilight three times (2011, 2014 and 2016)
  • BoB Normandy, DZ Normandy, Band of Deluxe Brothers (all three the same), 3 editiions or rehashes (2011, 2014 and 2016)
  • Bataan twice (2011 and 2016)
  • Peleliu twice (2011 and 2013)
  • Hürtgen Surprise/Brécourt Manor + Strass (same thing) redone twic (2008 and 2013)
  • Witches Cauldron: The Oosterbeek Perimeter-Arnhem 1944, and Brave But Doomed or Tiger Route (all three are the same) three times the charm, lol (2007, 2012, and 2016)
My favorite (yeah I got suckered in to this one as well for $299, I got the 2nd edition and blew a fuse when the 3rd came out, screw CH)

First Wave at Omaha East/West and monster five times/a 2nd and 3rd edition versions for ya (2013 and 2014 and 2009, 2012 and 2014).

Here is the insanity of Omaha:

Omaha East / Omaha East Monster Edition
Alternative Titles/Edition History:
1st Edition, 2013; 2nd Edition (Omaha East Monster Edition), 2014

Publisher/Date:
Critical Hit (1st Edition, 2013; 2nd Edition, 2014)

Contents:
1st Edition: 3 24" x 36" historical maps, 12 pages rules, 16 scenarios, 14 play aids/set-up sheets, 1,578 die-cut counters
2nd Edition (Omaha East Monster Edition): 28 12" x 18" heavy paper/light cardstock glossy map panels, 12 pages rules, 16 scenarios, 13 play aids/set-up sheets

First Wave at Omaha / Omaha West / Omaha West Monster Edition
1st Edition (First Wave at Omaha), 2009; 2nd Edition (Omaha West, aka Omaha West Final Countdown Edition), 2012; 3rd Edition (Omaha West Monster Edition)

Publisher/Date:
Critical Hit (1st Edition, 2009; 2nd Edition, 2012; 3rd Edition, 2014)

Contents:
1st Edition: 3 24" x 36" historical maps, 16 scenarios, 12 page rulebook, 14 play aid cards, 3 Destroyer cards, 1150 die-cut counters
2nd Edition (Omaha West): 3 24" x 36" historical maps, 16 scenarios, 15 play aid/Destroyer cards, 12-page rulebook, 2 duplicate sets of 640 die-cut counters (1,280 counters total)
3rd Edition (Omaha West Monster Edition): 27 12" x 18" heavy paper/light cardstock glossy map panels, 12 pages of rules, 14 play aid cards, 3 Destroyer cards, 16 scenarios

Sadly I own a lot of the first or second editions but did not learn my lesson till the third edition came out and I finally said to heck with all this nonsense.

So yes I can grip and point out the stupidity of it all.

Oh and the list goes on and on and on and on....

LCP and BFP just put out updates of some of the packs they did but I didn't see any of this crap from you about them.
That is because BFP and LCP are in the top 3 of Third Party Publishers and they don't create retreads an nasumin and when they do a release you know it's got play tested and errata fixed, same with MMP, but not so if CH. Not even close.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The problem is the “new versions” are just the same old retreads of version 1, 2, and 3 (for 80% of his stuff). Each time the price increase and it is renamed, repackaged, and reversioned.

I can list several:
  • Action at Carentan (I and II) rehashed twice (2004 and 2013)
  • Berlin I has been rehashed 5 times (Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich, or Berlin Final Days or Berlin: Final Victory (all three the same) and the wonderful news is that it has been rehashed not twice, not three times and not even four but yes count them FIVE times! (2006, 2007, 200, 2011 and 2014))!
  • Berlin II has been rehashed twice (Tyrant’s Lair: The Battle of Berlin: April 1945 or if you like Berlin: Führer’s End (2010 and 2014))
  • Gates of Hell twice (2010 and 2014).
  • Tigers to the Front!, Panther Line, Suwejo Heights (same map, same everything three times with three different names!), has been rehashed, redone the same and repriced four times (2004, 2006, 20012 and 2015)
  • Facing the Blitz, (Sturmgruppe Beton is the same rehash) has been redone 3 times (2003, 2011, and 2016).
  • Kharkov and Backhand Blow '43 (same thing) three times (2012 and 2015 and 2015, lol)
  • Hill of Blood twice (2012 and 2013)
  • A Few Rare Men twice (2012 and 2013)
  • Nordic Twilight three times (2011, 2014 and 2016)
  • BoB Normandy, DZ Normandy, Band of Deluxe Brothers (all three the same), 3 editiions or rehashes (2011, 2014 and 2016)
  • Bataan twice (2011 and 2016)
  • Peleliu twice (2011 and 2013)
  • Hürtgen Surprise/Brécourt Manor + Strass (same thing) redone twic (2008 and 2013)
  • Witches Cauldron: The Oosterbeek Perimeter-Arnhem 1944, and Brave But Doomed or Tiger Route (all three are the same) three times the charm, lol (2007, 2012, and 2016)
My favorite (yeah I got suckered in to this one as well for $299, I got the 2nd edition and blew a fuse when the 3rd came out, screw CH)

First Wave at Omaha East/West and monster five times/a 2nd and 3rd edition versions for ya (2013 and 2014 and 2009, 2012 and 2014).

Here is the insanity of Omaha:

Omaha East / Omaha East Monster Edition
1st Edition, 2013; 2nd Edition (Omaha East Monster Edition), 2014

Publisher/Date:
Critical Hit (1st Edition, 2013; 2nd Edition, 2014)

Contents:
1st Edition: 3 24" x 36" historical maps, 12 pages rules, 16 scenarios, 14 play aids/set-up sheets, 1,578 die-cut counters
2nd Edition (Omaha East Monster Edition): 28 12" x 18" heavy paper/light cardstock glossy map panels, 12 pages rules, 16 scenarios, 13 play aids/set-up sheets

First Wave at Omaha / Omaha West / Omaha West Monster Edition
1st Edition (First Wave at Omaha), 2009; 2nd Edition (Omaha West, aka Omaha West Final Countdown Edition), 2012; 3rd Edition (Omaha West Monster Edition)

Publisher/Date:
Critical Hit (1st Edition, 2009; 2nd Edition, 2012; 3rd Edition, 2014)

Contents:
1st Edition: 3 24" x 36" historical maps, 16 scenarios, 12 page rulebook, 14 play aid cards, 3 Destroyer cards, 1150 die-cut counters
2nd Edition (Omaha West): 3 24" x 36" historical maps, 16 scenarios, 15 play aid/Destroyer cards, 12-page rulebook, 2 duplicate sets of 640 die-cut counters (1,280 counters total)
3rd Edition (Omaha West Monster Edition): 27 12" x 18" heavy paper/light cardstock glossy map panels, 12 pages of rules, 14 play aid cards, 3 Destroyer cards, 16 scenarios

Sadly I own a lot of the first or second editions but did not learn my lesson till the third edition came out and I finally said to heck with all this nonsense.

So yes I can grip and point out the stupidity of it all.

Oh and the list goes on and on and on and on....

That is because BFP and LCP are in the top 3 of Third Party Publishers and they don't create retreads an nasumin and when they do a release you know it's got play tested and errata fixed, same with MMP, but not so if CH. Not even close.
Thank you Don for elaborating and going into detail on the point of republications by CH.

I believe that the list of examples you have given, which is by far not complete as you have mentioned, will allow customers and/or potential customers to compare this republication / reprint policy by CH with that of BFP, LC or MMP and thus help them to form their own informed judgement.

von Marwitz

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Not to be a bitch, and trying not to get my own opinion into the mix, can we move along from the CH bashing in Bounding Fire's folder? If you want to keep at it, take it to the main forum where everyone can join in or to the CH forum where it is appropriate to talk about CH products. Thanks. I hate it when you guys make me act like a mod. -- jim

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sooooo, are you enjoying the Schmidt scenarios?

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to be a bitch, and trying not to get my own opinion into the mix, can we move along from the CH bashing in Bounding Fire's folder? If you want to keep at it, take it to the main forum where everyone can join in or to the CH forum where it is appropriate to talk about CH products. Thanks. I hate it when you guys make me act like a mod. -- jim
You are right - thank you.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sooooo, are you enjoying the Schmidt scenarios?
Yes, I am.
The immersion factor is incredible. I prefer HASL (anything but CH, that is - I play, I don't buy just to collect and look!), because for me, only HASL gives me the immersion-jolt-rush... and "Objective: Schmidt" REALLY gives me that immersion-jolt-rush. The scenarios really bring to life everything I have ever read about the fighting in and around the Hurtgen Forest.
I really love "Objective: Schmidt".
The counter art is really great also.
I have played six of the scenarios (no CG playings yet!), and, I really enjoyed just how smoothly and gracefully the playings went.
ASL has been described as "two guys against the ASL rulebook".
Regretfully, I never learned to play an instrument
Every BFP scenario I have ever played (especially the scenarios I have played from "Objective: Schmidt") gave me the feeling of being a highly-skilled musician (not a highly-skilled ASL player, LOL at myself!), playing a beautiful duet with another highly-skilled musician - in short, a series of most wonderful and sublime ASL gaming experiences.
Thank you Chas - thank you, and your crew at BFP.
Now, please - prettyplease - can we have "Corregidor" now?

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate that.
Started Schmidt after Hell on Wheels back in the late 90s. Still remember working on the map in my kitchen near Fort Hood. Visited the battlefield numerous times, went to the German 89th ID reunions, etc, etc., etc.
Was actually worried I had possibly "over engineered" some of the stuff.
It is great to hear that you are enjoying it.

CtR will be out very soon...patience:)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have played some of the CG's from Berlin I, II, Easter at Tobruk, Gembloux, Stone and Scotland the Brave, plus 'some' scenarios from AK, and various other places (CH hit has hundreds of scenarios, a lot of duplicates and renames, but over the years sometimes some work).

In my opinion, in the old days CH was best at making HASL type of modules (the scenarios were questionable, if they were even play tested), and the campaigns were fun, although the PL rules had to be "agreed upon" by both players and 'sussed' out in rule meanings, with interpretations from RB and other MMP HASL rules stuff...

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played some of the CG's from Berlin I, II, Easter at Tobruk, Gembloux, Stone and Scotland the Brave, plus 'some' scenarios from AK, and various other places (CH hit has hundreds of scenarios, a lot of duplicates and renames, but over the years sometimes some work).

In my opinion, in the old days CH was best at making HASL type of modules (the scenarios were questionable, if they were even play tested), and the campaigns were fun, although the PL rules had to be "agreed upon" by both players and 'sussed' out in rule meanings, with interpretations from RB and other MMP HASL rules stuff...
This, plus CH produced some scenario packs that had some gems in as well. CH did not produce nothing but junk no matter what is said to the opposite.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Again my biggest axe to grind with CH is the constant re-hash of stuff. Take the AK stuff for example, I purchased all 10 of the AK packs, then CH goes and does DW, and then they go and do DF, and then DMUDF (Deluxe Monster DF), each time they jack up the price, and re-hash it, sometimes same scenarios with same names, sometimes new names, sometimes with missing text, same name or different name, and so on.

See my post on Berlin, DD, and all the US Bulge and Para ones...

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/operation-schmidt.126261/post-1954349