Latest 3-Player Scenarios?

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have there been any new, true three-player scenarios released since the two in Journal 11? J164 Aiding the Local Constabulary and J171 Whom Gods Destroy?

Thanks!

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have there been any new, true three-player scenarios released since the two in Journal 11? J164 Aiding the Local Constabulary and J171 Whom Gods Destroy?

Thanks!
RPT110 "Theirs Not To Reason Why" is specifically designed to be played as 2-player or as 3-player, with VC/SSR specifically for a 3 players. Not sure it came after, but was pretty close to the J11 release.
-Full disclosure, I was the designer.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RPT110 "Theirs Not To Reason Why" is specifically designed to be played as 2-player or as 3-player, with VC/SSR specifically for a 3 players. Not sure it came after, but was pretty close to the J11 release.
-Full disclosure, I was the designer.
Thanks for the heads up! I was not aware of this scenario!

Bill

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might also try "Four Days to Naples" by witchbottles. Scenario card is on ASL Scenario Archive. While not a true 3-player scenario, he suggested that two players could each play the Americans and British separately vs Germans

hoxson1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"At the Narrow Passage" in Festung Budapest is a true-3 player.

"In the Mouth of Madness" (Ft127) set in Siberia and has Bolshevik partisans, Mensheviks and Social Revolutionaries and a Red Army Garrison fighting each other. It uses Partisan, French and Italian OoBs.

FT202 "Burmese Bandits" from Le Franc Tireurs Deluxe Pack 1

ESG126 "War of the Gargantuans" from ESG's Dezign Pak 10

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I quite like the way that three scenarios like "The Dogs of War", "At the Narrow Passage" and "Whom Gods Destroy" all offer genuine three-player interaction while all feeling completely different in the way that they play out.

"In the Mouth of Madness" is a fine scenario, but it's essentially a clone of "The Dogs of War". I'm not saying that's a bad thing ("Dogs" is, after all, just flat-out excellent), just that it didn't feel as "unique" to me as those other three.

I wonder if that's as far as "unique" three-player expressions can go, or are there still more permutations to be discovered by designers?

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I had the pleasure of playing Bill and John McDiarmid in "For whom Gods Destroy) as a playofff for 3rd,4th,5th at ASLOK in 2016.

Bill crushed my partisans and then offered parley to mean John finished 5th, was not the most honourable moment is ASL history, and I
did split the Cash for 4th with John.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I quite like the way that three scenarios like "The Dogs of War", "At the Narrow Passage" and "Whom Gods Destroy" all offer genuine three-player interaction while all feeling completely different in the way that they play out.

"In the Mouth of Madness" is a fine scenario, but it's essentially a clone of "The Dogs of War". I'm not saying that's a bad thing ("Dogs" is, after all, just flat-out excellent), just that it didn't feel as "unique" to me as those other three.

I wonder if that's as far as "unique" three-player expressions can go, or are there still more permutations to be discovered by designers?
Bruce, I agree with your observation about the first three scenarios, enjoying each for its unique play experience.

I also think the same applies to J164 Aiding the Local Constabulary, as it offers a unique set of challenges for each player that feels different than any of the other three-player scenarios. The need for cooperation to secure the railway station while positioning oneself for the end-game play in the village area is well crafted.

Bill

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the pleasure of playing Bill and John McDiarmid in "For whom Gods Destroy) as a playofff for 3rd,4th,5th at ASLOK in 2016.

Bill crushed my partisans and then offered parley to mean John finished 5th, was not the most honourable moment is ASL history, and I
Something about "all's fair" comes to mind, but then again my remembrance of who offered parley seems a little different. :)

In the end, it was nice to make a tournament first (as far as I am aware) by playing a three-player scenario where the outcome actually meant something. :)

Good times, regardless.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

If this is ever used in a tourney again, the winner gets their place (in this case 3rd) and the two other "losers" dice off for the remaining two places. There should be no "playing" for second. With this in place, all should be trying to win until the last DR. JMHO...
Steve

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So if one player is trailing badly, he should offer himself to the highest bidder, knowing that regardless of who wins he will get whatever reward is offered and still has a 50/50 chance of taking second. Next to success, nothing is sweeter than being rewarded for total failure. And perhaps not next to.

JR

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I also think the same applies to J164 Aiding the Local Constabulary, as it offers a unique set of challenges for each player that feels different than any of the other three-player scenarios. The need for cooperation to secure the railway station while positioning oneself for the end-game play in the village area is well crafted.
Not yet had the pleasure, unfortunately.