Valor of the Guards Q&A

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the A6.12 reference, that is helpful. However, I'm not sure it resolves my original confusion, because A6.12 seems to me to be limiting specific LOS-draws to specific circumstances. So you can only draw LOS to a hexside if you can take a snap shot (or bypass or whatever, but the other situations aren't relevant here). In turn, you can only take a snap shot if you are "a unit wishing to make a Small-Arms/MG Defensive First Fire attack". Since reserves can't fire, it's not clear to me that they are allowed to string the non-standard LOS.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks for the A6.12 reference, that is helpful. However, I'm not sure it resolves my original confusion, because A6.12 seems to me to be limiting specific LOS-draws to specific circumstances. So you can only draw LOS to a hexside if you can take a snap shot (or bypass or whatever, but the other situations aren't relevant here). In turn, you can only take a snap shot if you are "a unit wishing to make a Small-Arms/MG Defensive First Fire attack". Since reserves can't fire, it's not clear to me that they are allowed to string the non-standard LOS.
You make an interesting point. It would be very odd, however, if a vehicle could move into LOS without activating the reserve because the vehicle was in bypass. I think that is what you would have to conclude if you read A6.12 as you suggest.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
You make an interesting point. It would be very odd, however, if a vehicle could move into LOS without activating the reserve because the vehicle was in bypass. I think that is what you would have to conclude if you read A6.12 as you suggest.

JR
Never confuse "making sense" with the contents of the ASLRB! :D

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. D2.37 says "Fire to/from a vehicle in Bypass alters the LOS rules somewhat because of the need to trace fire to/from the CAFP instead of the hex center."

Now, you could interpret this to mean that LOS is drawn to the CAFP only for fire attacks, meaning that reserves are not activated. However, I think that would leave us worse off than when we started, because wouldn't that also mean that vehicles in bypass are at the hex center for rout and concealment purposes? My inclination is to interpret D2.37 as starting from the point of fire attacks, then the passage (implicitly?) expands the situation to include all LOSs to/from the vehicle in bypass. If that's the case, then a reserve can (in fact must) use the CAFP instead of the hex center to check whether it can see the vehicle.

GamerGeek

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all,

Question regarding VOTG 2.613 RUSSIAN COUNTERATTACK DECLARATION. It states that you skip New CG Day & SAN Adjustment (12.614) which includes the section "Each side whose SAN is currently zero has it automatically raised to 2 (no CPP expenditure is necessary)." I think this is the only part in the refit phase where this happens. And if its skipped what are the ramifications for the Night Scenario?

Does the mean that if the German (or Russian for that matter) has their san reduced to below 2 in the daytime scenario, then that is the number used to generate the night SAN (ie 3 as it technically can drop to a SAN of 1 during the daytime scenario and the san of 1 +2 for night equals a final 3?).

Or do they have no SAN to add 2 too, thus they have no SAN at all for the Night scenario?

If the side with a low san spends CPP to raise their SAN is it raised from a 1 to a 2 (making the night SAN of 4), or from the 'default' of 2 to a 3, making the night SAN 5?

BB

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Question regarding VOTG 2.613 RUSSIAN COUNTERATTACK DECLARATION. It states that you skip New CG Day & SAN Adjustment (12.614) which includes the section "Each side whose SAN is currently zero has it automatically raised to 2 (no CPP expenditure is necessary)." I think this is the only part in the refit phase where this happens. And if its skipped what are the ramifications for the Night Scenario?

Does the mean that if the German (or Russian for that matter) has their san reduced to below 2 in the daytime scenario, then that is the number used to generate the night SAN (ie 3 as it technically can drop to a SAN of 1 during the daytime scenario and the san of 1 +2 for night equals a final 3?).

Or do they have no SAN to add 2 too, thus they have no SAN at all for the Night scenario?

If the side with a low san spends CPP to raise their SAN is it raised from a 1 to a 2 (making the night SAN of 4), or from the 'default' of 2 to a 3, making the night SAN 5?
I think that technically the SAN can never be reduced to zero. It is always reduced to one because all losses are one per A14.4. Apparently there is an assumption that when the SAN is removed, the value becomes zero. I would play it as if removing the SAN makes the SAN value zero instead of one. During the night scenario that side gets the night bonus to 2, then during the next day it is restored to two. Purchasing a SAN point gives that side a three at night, which would then be free "upgraded" to two the next day. This is just how I would play it. I think you will need to get some errata to get the "correct" way to play.

JR

GamerGeek

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks JR,

Thank your right on the never reduced to zero, A14.4 states pretty clearly that a SAN reduced from 2 is indeed a SAN of 1. My sense would be to play it as a SAN of 1 for the night scenario (raised to 3 due to night), with the possibility of a san purchase raising it to 4.

Would love any further thoughts from others. But errata or a Perry sez (or Tom sez) would certainly help clarify.

BB

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR,

Thank your right on the never reduced to zero, A14.4 states pretty clearly that a SAN reduced from 2 is indeed a SAN of 1. My sense would be to play it as a SAN of 1 for the night scenario (raised to 3 due to night), with the possibility of a san purchase raising it to 4.
This is how I would play it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you play the SAN as one, the SAN will never be returned to two "for free" unless you change that rule too. But since the rule seems broken, it's up to you to fix it.

JR

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the domain of SAN numbers, 0 := 1 := -1756. And just to save you some typing, I realize there is no ASL rule for that, but some things are common sense.

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Russian Night Cloaking set up (Concealment vs Non-Concealment)

Can Russian cloaked units set up in Non-Concealment terrain during Night (as ATTACKER)?

This question just popped up in my head during my German set up for night. Actually a whole series of questions popped up despite playing several Night scenarios in the past but most have been answered from previous Q&A or rereading the rules.

The reason for the question which may be absurd stems from the fact that the Russians (as ATTACKER at night) can not setup ?/HIP at night in non-concealment terrain. Rule E1.4 states that cloaking is a form of concealment and all rules pertaining to concealment apply to cloaking (except for rules specified in the chapter E night rules). Now I don't know if I should take it this rule to apply to cloaked units restricting their setup on map (which is different from chapter E rules where the ATTACKER comes from offboard) where ?/HIP is not allowed in non-concealment terrain by the ATTACKER (per previous post 856). I might be biased being the German side at this particular time.

In the past, I hadn't thought about it and I also didn't realise the ATTACKER could not set up HIP/? in non-concealment terrain until recently. Looking for guidance, thoughts, or opinions.

Darren

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A Trench may be placed in a paved-road hex that also contains shellholes. Is that also true for a railroads hex containing shellholes?
I guess it is.
Thanks.

Last edited:

aloha_brian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question:

NKVD Strongpoint: Can an MMC move to/from F35/G36 across an open ground hexside to the same building which is an NKVD strongpoint; or does CG11.1 c ("No Russian Personnel unit may voluntarily exit a NKVD Fanatic Strongpoint during the current CG scenario.") prevent them from crossing the open ground hexside to the other building hex?

Brian Wiersma

Answer:

I would say it is legal, as it is not entering a non-NKVD SP Location.

Tom

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Are the ob given fortified locations in CG 4 to be used in creating the indicated fanatic strong points or are the fanatic strong points considered already fortified.

I ask because there are 12 fortified locations given but 13 fanatic locations.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Are the ob given fortified locations in CG 4 to be used in creating the indicated fanatic strong points or are the fanatic strong points considered already fortified.

I ask because there are 12 fortified locations given but 13 fanatic locations.
Per CG11.1 a), "Certain buildings on the VotG map may be activated as Fanatic Strongpoints during a CG; precisely which building(s) may be activated are designated by CG SSR" (my emphasis; here "may" is used in the sense that it is an option that might or might not be taken). CGIV-1 is the required SSR that designates the buildings eligible to be activated as Fanatic Strongpoints. It does not activate them, it does not require that you set up so that you can activate them, and even if you set up one or more so that the building is eligible to be activated it does not require that you activate that building, either on the first CG date or later. It presents you with an option. I don't see any rule that suggests that if you want to activate them you get free fortified buildings. The twelve OB-given fortified buildings might be used to allow activation of one or more of the fanatic strongpoints (but as you say, not all three), or they might not be used in any of those buildings, or in some but not others. The designated buildings might all be activated, none activated or some activated and some not.

JR

Last edited:

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Hand-to-Hand in VotG (sorry if it was discussed in this thread already):
"VotG10. HAND-TO-HAND CC: Hand-to-Hand CC (J2.31) may be declared by both sides. Additionally, the DEFENDER may declare Hand-to-Hand CC provided all ATTACKER units were Ambushed or are Withdrawing/pinned. Hand-to-Hand CC by/vs PRC/vehicle(s)/pillbox-occupant(s) is NA."

I do not understand why both the first and the second sentence are included. If the first sentence means that either DEFENDER or ATTACKER may declare HtH at the beginning of CC, why is the second necessary? Even though the ATTACKER opts not to declare attacks in CC in order to keep Concealment or Withdraw, the first sentence would still enable the DEFENDER to declare attacks and therefore declare HtH irrespective of Ambush. Or am I interpreting something incorrectly?

(RF reformulates the first sentence as "Hand-to-Hand CC (J2.31) is allowed in all RF scenarios.")

Thanks!

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hand-to-Hand in VotG (sorry if it was discussed in this thread already):
"VotG10. HAND-TO-HAND CC: Hand-to-Hand CC (J2.31) may be declared by both sides. Additionally, the DEFENDER may declare Hand-to-Hand CC provided all ATTACKER units were Ambushed or are Withdrawing/pinned. Hand-to-Hand CC by/vs PRC/vehicle(s)/pillbox-occupant(s) is NA."

I do not understand why both the first and the second sentence are included. If the first sentence means that either DEFENDER or ATTACKER may declare HtH at the beginning of CC, why is the second necessary? Even though the ATTACKER opts not to declare attacks in CC in order to keep Concealment or Withdraw, the first sentence would still enable the DEFENDER to declare attacks and therefore declare HtH irrespective of Ambush. Or am I interpreting something incorrectly?

(RF reformulates the first sentence as "Hand-to-Hand CC (J2.31) is allowed in all RF scenarios.")

Thanks!
The first sentence confirms that both the Germans and Russians (i.e., Defender or Attacker) may declare H-t-H CC. (In some scenarios only one side may declare H-t-H CC, which is often the case with Japanese vs non-Gurkha forces.)

The second allows the DEFENDER (A.13), "the player whose Player Turn is not presently being played" to declare H-t-H CC provided "all ATTACKER units were Ambushed or are Withdrawing/pinned," which is an exception to J2.31.

Last edited:

MichalS

Reaction score
First name
Michal
Country
llSlovakia
Thank you! Now I understand, I didn't realise that "sides" refers to scenario Defender/Attacker as opposed to the roles dictated by the acting player's turn.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you! Now I understand, I didn't realise that "sides" refers to scenario Defender/Attacker as opposed to the roles dictated by the acting player's turn.
Nie je začo. ;)

A young Slovak couple lives next to us. Maybe they will open their bottle of Double Cross when they finally run out of their seemingly endless supply of slivovica.