Thank you for Hatten, MMP.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please keep in mind, this is only my opinion:

Thank you MMP and Andy Rogers for Hatten in Flames.

I seriously hope that this is a sign of things to come.

A campaign, with minimal extra rules, minimal new terrain, great looking scenarios and WITHOUT 1000 new un-necessary counters or new squad types all at a very nice price. I can open the box, pick out a scenario, read a single page of relevant rules and start playing with the equipment I have.

Thank you again Andy and MMP. This is the kind of new module product that THIS ASL player likes to see.

Oh, and the winter map looks friggin' awesome.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd love to see good, solid, bold innovation that comes in the form of 1000 new "un-necessary" counters or new squad types. Enough of the status quo. Need a few more pages of rules - no problems. Power to whoever who can go out on a limb and push the envelope further.

Go ahead, bring your labor of love.

BRING IT!!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A campaign, with minimal extra rules, minimal new terrain, great looking scenarios and WITHOUT 1000 new un-necessary counters or new squad types all at a very nice price. I can open the box, pick out a scenario, read a single page of relevant rules and start playing with the equipment I have.

Thank you again Andy and MMP. This is the kind of new module product that THIS ASL player likes to see.

Oh, and the winter map looks friggin' awesome.
Ditto.
We need that type of easily accessible HASL modules too.
And I think that Hatten doesn't have night CG days, which fits my expectations too.

Of course, more complex HASL with many counters and additional rules have their full place within the ASL world - and there already are plenty of them.
Red Barricades is around the corner and I am looking for it too.

So variety is welcome, including HASL which mainly rely on the core rules.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ditto.
We need that type of easily accessible HASL modules too.
And I think that Hatten doesn't have night CG days, which fits my expectations too.
I agree with most of the posters - simple is great, we want to play HASLs for the terrain and the unit purchases, not to learn a ton of new and awkward rules.

BTW: I find the HS-infantry OVR the worst idea in the entire Korea rules. This should have been made up when the Japanese rules were written, not now as an afterthought for the Chinese only.

However, I really think that anyone who loves ASL enough to play large HASLs should also put in the effort to learn the Night rules and play them. It is fun and REALLY not that hard to get the basics right. In addition, night combat was very, very common on all fronts in WWII so you are a history denier if you don't want to make that effort. Which is bad. Not Good.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I reckon that I should give night rules another try.
My reluctance is not rational.
However, being called a "history denier" is not the most nice thing that I have heard over here.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I reckon that I should give night rules another try.
My reluctance is not rational.
However, being called a "history denier" is not the most nice thing that I have heard over here.
If that dramatic accusation pushes you over the edge and into Night scenarios, it was worth it. Just like Trump calling Kim Jong Un "Rocket Man" and bringing peace and denuclearisation to the entire Korean peninsula as a result. But I digress.

I have no problem with someone who does not care to play scenarios featuring Caves or Seaborne Landings or Air Drops or Searchlights or Mules......but man you should really play Night. Just like the Japanese, it is just a new and brilliant feature of the same fantastic game !

Look at the first three Night CG dates of Pegasus Bridge....it is really not near the same without it. What about Red Barricades without a Russian Night counterattack!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddy and I did look over Hatten and perhaps after our RB CG, we might give it a try. My only compliant thus far is that it probably could have been a Journal addition since it is not a large robust CG. Still, I do appreciate MMP's efforts in this direction of the hobby.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I have no problem with someone who does not care to play scenarios featuring Caves or Seaborne Landings or Air Drops or Searchlights or Mules......but man you should really play Night.
So it's only denial of history if you stray away from your definition of history. Got it ;) To continue with your tongue-in-cheek analogy, these things you dismiss are all Fake News :p -- jim

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, I really think that anyone who loves ASL enough to play large HASLs should also put in the effort to learn the Night rules and play them. It is fun and REALLY not that hard to get the basics right. In addition, night combat was very, very common on all fronts in WWII so you are a history denier if you don't want to make that effort. Which is bad. Not Good.
I absolutely agree regarding the night rules. My only problem with night rules is finding a FTF opponent who wants to play them, as they really aren't suitable for solo play (believe me, I've tried).
Omitting night battles from campaigns where they were historically present makes about as much sense as omitting air support from a Kursk HASL.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So it's only denial of history if you stray away from your definition of history. Got it ;) To continue with your tongue-in-cheek analogy, these things you dismiss are all Fake News :p -- jim
Some Japanese guys in their 90s are still defending some caves on deserted Pacific islands, because they could not find an opponent interested in those rules.

Or they lost their HIP Cave sheet.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The topic here is that some players like Hatten HASL for its simplicity.
It is not about judging players who are shy playing Night rules.
I will try Night again - especially with the prospect of playing Red Factories.
But not because someone tries to bully me into playing this part of the rules.

If you don't like Hatten, because its simplicity is a "statu quo", don't play it.
If you don't like it because it lacks Night CG Days, don't play it.
But please have minimal tolerance for players who are looking forward to playing it.
Or at least respect the designer's work - which includes his choices to include minimal supplementary rules.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I will try Night again - especially with the prospect of playing Red Factories.
But not because someone tries to bully me into playing this part of the rules.
Bullying:
"using superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants."

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also appreciate minimal number of extra counters as storage space is becoming an issue. Not the worst problem to deal with, but I can count the times I have used the "Lehr" counters on two fingers and I think the actual shape of those fingers would be circular.

I want the scenarios, maps and rules from a CG.

Of course, if there is a good reason for the counters, throw them in! Seems a half sheet of info counters and maybe a few specialty units should suffice at this point in the game's development.

Last edited: