nouge

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rani
Country
llAustralia
I registered just now, and it took me about 10 minutes to do because the captcha images were all complete gibberish; the one I eventually got through on was about a 50/50 guess at best.

I'd suggest changing to a different captcha verification provider, if that's possible – otherwise you're really keeping new people out of the place.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
good God man, I did mean to raise this when I registered. Registering here was the Bataan Death march of forum registrations. Those of us you see that have registered here are likely the stongest and fittest and most insane to have not given up and laid down and died and just lurk the forum .

Those Captcha selections were frickin insane. Like Mike it took numerous reloads to get anything that was halfway readable and even then more than a few missed ones just to register here. It only took me about 2 hours unlike Mike to get through it, but I brought out the secret weapon and snorted a line and downed a bottle of jack and once I did, it strangely became slightly more readable.

nouge

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Rani
Country
llAustralia
Good call Sparky - makes sense that an altered state would help with the captcha out of time and space... I hostestly felt like I was being trolled by some kind of bizarre bureaucratic parody.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It’s horrible. It’s beyond horrible, it’s straight up bizzare. I helped a French speaker register.

The audio option to captcha is even worse. It sounds like a Klingon with a flu and on drugs after being beaten for five days with a two by four.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*spits beer on monitor*

sounds like a Klingon with a flu and on drugs after being beaten for five days with a two by four.
thank you Jack for reminding me the only thing worse than bad Hamada flashbacks are .. umm.. flashbacks of the ex-wife. I don't suppose you were one of the lucky ones who got her phone number from a urinal stall did you. At least you didn't marry her, or hopefully didn't get her on the rebound from me.

Yeah the only thing worse than a crazy sex crazed redhead with a voice like that, is a crazy sex crazed reheaded ex-Morman, but oh no. Don't stop there. The only thing worse than a crazy sex crazed reheaded ex-morman is one with a deadly aim with pots and pans when pissed... and oh.. I did I mention she was French.

Thank Jack, after a rough day at work today, I needed that haha

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I know, I hate it too. But the mods were getting absolutely killed by the spammers, so something had to be done.

Let me see if there is a better option.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
oh I think there are better options Doc... castration or forceable sex changes might be more pleasurable than fighting forum Captcha. Especially that particular strain you have here. I'm sure there are better ones, like the pick the street signs that is a very common Captcha theme. That one you had here was brutal...

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was the captcha disabled? I was able to finally get back in and didn't see it pop up this last time I tried.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
^ what we were talking about is a particularly nasty, and Booze and Blow inducing, strain of Captcha one has to deal with when first registering for the site.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I registered just now, and it took me about 10 minutes to do because the captcha images were all complete gibberish; the one I eventually got through on was about a 50/50 guess at best.

I'd suggest changing to a different captcha verification provider, if that's possible – otherwise you're really keeping new people out of the place.
My son gave up after 12 tries...I tried to help him with no luck at all. Cannot hear the audio, cannot read the visual.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
12 tries? Aren't the youth supposed to revel in their passion and stamina. God knows I wish I still had those, though I get no complaints from the better half. I think I exceeded 12 tries in the first 6 minutes of the hour or so it took to get through the Captcha gatekeeper and register here.

Just kept hitting reload till I got one that I think I could read and actually get right. As I said earlier, the little fresh blood you all see on this forum are those supremely motivated, or stupid, or insane enough to have outlasted Captcha in its worst and most virulent strain.

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree, I was trying to get in from a cellphone -- I didn't even bother after 2 and the inaudible audio.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well Cassie (littledoot) just negotiated her way through it and had to refresh 6 times before finding one she could make sense of. She was doing it on an iPad.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
^ and ^^. Are you saying that you all are getting Captcha even after having registered? Thankfully haven't seen Captcha here since I registered. Then again I am one of the few people likely alive today that does not own a smart device. Still surviving with a old dumb flip phone. It makes calls, receives texts. Survives being dropped from a 100 ft tower or thrown in anger thanks to ones idiots bosses. All one needs haha

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just logging in from a new device. After, I hurled mine in a river :) No actually, mine just got lost when I accidentally flipped my canoe in the river.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hahaha.. mine has survived those. I've dropped even thrown a times mine into the amber currents of a whiskey river a few times.. but always been able to find it afterward.

The only thing I've subjected mine to that it hasn't survived was throwing it across a warehouse and chasing it down and running it flat with a portable man lift. Had that happen when told I had to come that night at midnight to work an allnight. Oh I did, sans the phone but it felt so good....and was worth the finger wag I got from the owner