Darrell Wright

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
:oops:Very sad. Darrell was always willing to playtest the dreaded night scenarios with me. I wonder if he was just 'too nice" to win much. Or maybe literally enjoyed the game more than he cared about winning.
my guess is the latter........ he care more about having fun and the game itself over winning

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
O God, who by the glorious resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ destroyed death, and brought life and immortality to light: Grant that your servant Darrell, being raised with him, may know the strength of his presence, and rejoice in his eternal glory; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
amen

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very sad to hear.
Like many in our community know the face if not the name.
Remember Darrell from Summer Wars days, but only had a chance to chat with him at last Winter Offensive - good guy.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Darrell a few times at ASLOk... he was one of the band. A nice guy and good player.

Saddened by his departure--- its too soon. Hoping he's getting a chance to sit around the bar in Valhalla and hear directly the stories of our heroes.

Good-bye brother.

JT

Last edited:

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like to think Fish has someone else to kick around. -- jim
St. Pete: "Oh... you play ASL do you?"
Darrell: "Ugh... yeah... not the question I expected at these gates..."
St. Pete: "We have another player here... let me introduce you to Mr. Fish."
Darrell: "Fish!"
St. Pete: "One thing... he's also the TD... good luck."
Fish: ":cool:"

JT

rrossi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
O God, who by the glorious resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ destroyed death, and brought life and immortality to light: Grant that your servant Darrell, being raised with him, may know the strength of his presence, and rejoice in his eternal glory; who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Amen

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So sad to hear of this. I never played Darrell, but knew of him and saw him as ASLOK. It's always sobering when we lose one from this unique and special group of guys. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMG_1385.JPG

I posted this picture over on Facebook the other day after I heard the extremely sad news about Darrell's passing, but I thought I would re-post it here for non-FB users. This photo was taken a few weeks back on the last day of the Bitter Ender tournament down in Raleigh, NC. This merry band of non-contenders includes from left-to-right, Phil Palmer, Darrell, Gary Bartlett, my son Chris, and Jeremy Maciejewski. I'd like to say that Darrell was a part of making gaming history that day by playing the first ever simultaneous double-board, 6-player game of Terraforming Mars!

I had the distinct pleasure of knowing Darrell for slightly over twenty-years. Always engaging to talk with, Darrell always had an interesting story to tell about one of his recent awesome excursions to some interesting place that made you wish you were travelling with him. I had the pleasure of playing Darrell a number of times over the years at various tournaments, always a gentleman, always polite, always competitive, never a negative word to be said about anyone or anything.

I like to think of the ASL community as a brotherhood of individuals with a passion for both gaming and history. A group that is as much interested in playing the game as it cares about the welfare of the game and those who revel in playing it. To that end, we all lost a brother this past week. Too soon gone. I will miss him.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great pic, Bill; great sentiment and great memories of a great guy.

I continue to fail at putting together some words about how I feel, but I stand by Bill’s.

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great pic, Bill; great sentiment and great memories of a great guy.

I continue to fail at putting together some words about how I feel, but I stand by Bill’s.
I’m with you, Perry...I just haven’t figured out the right words to say about this loss. So, I’m going to say this...I regret not ever playing Darrell. Regret a lot. We just never “intersected” at the tournaments, and it was always “next time.”

No more “next times.” Very sad. Rest In Peace, Darrell. Set something up. Hopefully, I can play you when I catch up.

Sean

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
A goodly number of the NC ASL community gathered yesterday to say farewell to our compatriot, Darrell Wright, who recently passed away. We got to meet Darrell's family and got to know a lot more about him. His passion for ASL was duly noted by the reverend who conducted the memorial. A number of items from Darrell's home were on display. One of which was his ASLOK badge which really brought it home to us gamers.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I’m with you, Perry...I just haven’t figured out the right words to say about this loss. So, I’m going to say this...I regret not ever playing Darrell. Regret a lot. We just never “intersected” at the tournaments, and it was always “next time.”

No more “next times.” Very sad. Rest In Peace, Darrell. Set something up. Hopefully, I can play you when I catch up.

Sean
Thanks Sean for finding those words for me.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Let us all raise a toast for absent friends. This is is what binds us. This is what makes this hobby great. Not about winning, but about having fun with friends. Looking forward to seeing many of my ASL friends at the next ASL gathering. My next gathering will be at ASLOK. Join me in a toast at the ASLOK bar--sixth floor for Darrell. I had spent most of my time with Darrell here, as opposed to looking across the boards. This is where we spent most of our time. I will miss his wondrous stories.