LMG distribution.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do you generally distribute LMGs when you have multiple squad types with the same Morale Level? (Do you give LMG to 6-2-8 or 4-5-8)?

I prefer to give the LMG to the guys with the shorter range so they have some extra firepower at longer ranges.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For me, firepower matters at least as much as morale, particularly if I'm playing as the Germans. I would much rather give a 3 FP LMG to a 5 FP squad so that I can get a nice round 8 FP all in one package (I'm not a fan of the IIFT).

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Generally SW to better morale. German 548 + LMG is generally a good choice, for 'official' ASL.

I sometimes like to give the 628 guys longer range items so they can interdict over greater distances, but again, the better 'match' would probably be a 527 + ATR type thing where you maximize the FP column in addition to giving your interdiction 'arm' a little bit more reach.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Generally SW to better morale. German 548 + LMG is generally a good choice, for 'official' ASL.

I sometimes like to give the 628 guys longer range items so they can interdict over greater distances, but again, the better 'match' would probably be a 527 + ATR type thing where you maximize the FP column in addition to giving your interdiction 'arm' a little bit more reach.
Interesting to note a 7FP FG with an ATR added for a total of 8FP will only leave 2FP resid in the DFPh.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Between 458 and 628 , for me it depends on the scenario situation. Defending, attacking, need of firelane in comparison to the type of squad wanted in the position, etc.

I tend to give the LMG to 628 over 458 if the 628 are my assault troops or if I want a stubborn defender (especially in a stone building).

Same for the choice between 548 and 468.

Lots of other factors though. Such as what other weapons need to be in the hands of elite troops etc.

Seth

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting to note a 7FP FG with an ATR added for a total of 8FP will only leave 2FP resid in the DFPh.
Any rules quote on that for us mere mortals? I am still recovering from the wounds of our last match and can't read the rulebook with all this dried blood in my eyes.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would tend to give the lmg to the 4-5-8 that way less eggs in one basket. Also the 4-5-8/lmg might take a high position and use its range while the 6-2-8 (goon) hides and waits to ambush somebody or engage at close range.

Last edited:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I give the LMG to the 6-2-8 in an urban setting. Otherwise, i more likely would give it to the 4-5-8.
My answer would be similar. It’s *very* situation dependent. Usually higher morale, but for an ocerwatch stack, may use 7ML guys to put 8 up front, etc.

Somewhat related: I’ll almost always pair up an 8-1 with the 8ML front line and leave the 9-1 with the 7ML overwatch. LLMCs have a bad habit of making small problems into big ones.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. if you are not IIFT -bound , then aim for the FP columns. Why have a MG that never fires because it won't count anyway?

2. 467+3-8 LMG shoot at 6 FP, a 548+same 3-8 LMG shoots at 8 FP. 8ML troops will shoot it more often, as they will break less. on the AFPh- the same FP is 4 FP and 6 FP. Finally, the 548 gets its interdiction range doubled.

3. If using the IIFT- aim for max usage. As Spence said in another thread, "if you lost and all your MGs are still good order - you did not use them enough".

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First come, first serve. The first unit in line gets the LMG.

JR
one man (Bill) takes the bolt action POS, one man (Bob) gets a cadillac, full auto LMG.... Don't be a Bill, be a Bob!

"Psst... hey, 5 bucks if you switch places in line with me, dude!"

"Toss in your beer bottle ration, it's a deal."

(Thinking to himself) .... "Sucka".

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My answer would be similar. It’s *very* situation dependent. Usually higher morale, but for an ocerwatch stack, may use 7ML guys to put 8 up front, etc.

Somewhat related: I’ll almost always pair up an 8-1 with the 8ML front line and leave the 9-1 with the 7ML overwatch. LLMCs have a bad habit of making small problems into big ones.
I agree, I find that an 8-1 with a 548/lmg gets far more opportunities for effective shots than the 9-2 with the 467/hmg does back in the kill stack FG in the backfield level 2 bldg.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
How do you generally distribute LMGs when you have multiple squad types with the same Morale Level? (Do you give LMG to 6-2-8 or 4-5-8)?
I faced a similar conundrum earlier when outfitting the Hungarian (vs. Romanian) OOB in a scenario. Four 4-4-7 & thirteen 3-4-7, who to give the MMG/LMGs to? Facing Romanian armor, the 3-4-7s have to take a 1PAATC to CC them, whereas the 4-4-7s have to take a normal PAATC. With no CVP quota looming, the Roms would almost certainly VBM-freeze the MGs having FLs down the main roads. Using the IFT, I saw the marked difference between 3+2 (4) versus 4+2 (6), and 3+4 (6) versus 4+4 (8), but did not want my MG FLs so easily frozen. I decided to give the 3-4-7s the MGs, with a 4-4-7 ADJ to each in another building hex, hopefully anticipating the VBM with some Streetfighting CCRF. If the 4-4-7s had manned the MGs and been successfully frozen, I wasn't keen on attempting 1PAATCs with 3-4-7s, nor being reliant on their 3 (2) IFT FP to police the immediate area from oncoming infantry. The 4-4-7s stood a better chance of getting a good PAATC result, and if not, being able to lay down 4FP (8PB) at anyone trying to rush the frozen MGs. Also, if the 4-4-7s manned the MGs and successfully CCRF'd the AFV, they would be marked FF, lessening their ability to protect the MG nest.

Actually one of the tougher OOB choices I've made recently...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
If attacking, I usually give LMGs to my best squads, so they have the best punch during AFPh - and I use my best leaders to lead them.
I give the MMG/HMG to HS - not the best ones - to offer covering fire or to place FL vs. an enemy counterattack. I have mediocre leaders stacked with them to prevent cowering. I can place a replacement HS adjacent.

On the defense, I give LMG to the squads with the longest range.
MMG/HMG as on the attack.

But it depends which nationality I am playing and what other factors are involved.

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Between 458 and 628 , for me it depends on the scenario situation. Defending, attacking, need of firelane in comparison to the type of squad wanted in the position, etc.

I tend to give the LMG to 628 over 458 if the 628 are my assault troops or if I want a stubborn defender (especially in a stone building).

Same for the choice between 548 and 468.

Lots of other factors though. Such as what other weapons need to be in the hands of elite troops etc.

Seth
I am planning to take the Russians in "At the Narrow Passage". The terrain is urban so I'm not too concerned about the range factor. We will be using the IIFT for this scenario. I'm leaning towards giving the LMG to the 4-5-8s in this case. Interesting to see all the different responses. If I had the Germans I would give the LMG to the 5-4-8s.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
In general it depends. I do not believe it exists a standard "best" procedure in the battle manual of the perfect ASLer. But I have found that I tend to give LMGs to units that should NOT see any CC situation, at least when this is predictable. A MMC + SW in CC is in all cases a waste of efficience.

Well, this is perhaps the only basic suggestion always true: when in doubt place the LMG where the owner will fire and stay away from CC longer.

Note that this is a major change of the SL rules, when LMGs were used in CC adding FP to squads.