So what scenarios have you played Recently?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am glad that you enjoyed it ! Did you play it as part of the minicampaign ?
Lionel
No. I’m glad you guys explored this battle though. It is little known in the states. I have seen references to it in biographies of Patton, but never any ASL scenarios. Thank you.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished a VASL session of J174 HEART OF ATHENA, a true thinking man's scenario. Bruno chose Wire, ?, and FBL with his fortification points. My British attack stayed pretty close to the victory hex rows. The tramcars were mostly shot up while moving before they could do any real damage. By turn five, we had each won two turns. On the final Partisan turn, Bruno need to take back two hexes. He managed to CC both, but failed to eliminate the defenders. Fun, original scenario; the British player needs to keep careful track of the sewer movement possibilities.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
In the last few weeks I finished three of the new DASL board scenarios from Winter Offensive:

1) Phoenix Rising [WO26] I was overwhelmed by the Chinese hoards. I should have set up all units on the mountain. Turning point was a four roll streak of defensive fire 11's.
2) Checking Out [WO27] My SS troops were kicking butt until I lost consecutively three critical CC's where I had an advantage.
3) The Replacements [WO25] This time I stopped the Italian hoards which got to the front of the two victory buildings but "Katy, barred the door!"

My take on the WO DASL stuff, great! Heavy casualties, lots of CC action, non-claustrophobic playing area and seemingly balanced (IMHO).

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the last few weeks I finished three of the new DASL board scenarios from Winter Offensive:

1) Phoenix Rising [WO26] I was overwhelmed by the Chinese hoards. I should have set up all units on the mountain. Turning point was a four roll streak of defensive fire 11's.
(IMHO).
My Japs were about to get crushed by the Chinese when we ran out of time....I lost my 9-1 and HMG on turn one to a OBA critical hit!

Rob

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bad Onnen BFP OS-4 Our first venture into the Objective Schmidt villages. The maps are beautiful. But about the scenario. Two very worn down infantry formations trying to take, or hold onto part of Schmidt. (And the Germans took a trip to the Machinegun Emporium before the battle...)
Germans were able to crumble my defence at the north end quickly. But, they were unable to exploit it. They gained a toehold around N39, but could not expand it. I was able to re-take some buildings too. The American' have to hold a long line, as they do not know where the attack will come. A German platoon attacked in the east, but was torn up by my lone 60mm MTR.
The Germans took 7 buildings, needed 15.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First Bayonet Charge ASL 212 Nice little hill fight. French V. North Koreans. French attacked from the south end. The first 2 level 3 hexes fell without much trouble. They I ran into the 82mm MTR, and the main NK defiance. After taking it on the chin for a couple of turns, The French took the rest of the hill. This saw my first infantry over run, ever. A wounded NK 7-0 almost won the scenario by himself when the first squad to approach him didn't pass his NTC.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
First Bayonet Charge ASL 212 Nice little hill fight. French V. North Koreans. French attacked from the south end. The first 2 level 3 hexes fell without much trouble. They I ran into the 82mm MTR, and the main NK defiance. After taking it on the chin for a couple of turns, The French took the rest of the hill. This saw my first infantry over run, ever. A wounded NK 7-0 almost won the scenario by himself when the first squad to approach him didn't pass his NTC.
I think this is a good, short tournament scenario. However, most games probably play out the same way given the restrictive nature of the board making it an unlikely candidate for replay value.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Played The Hohenstaufen Hootenanny [SP266] yesterday and lost as the Germans. It looked like it was going to be tough on the Russians but after playing, I think they have an advantage. Their small OB consists of elite guards holding stone buildings that have to be cleared to deny Russian VP's. My SS and their four elephants could not do the job nor could I exit my elephants for points three falling to a well placed AT Gun that had rate and APCR. I was afraid to stop my elephants to fire and that was a mistake. They should move on the board, stop in good positions and lay fire into the Russian infantry. Key to the Russian defensive are the two L2 hill hexes that dominate most approaches to the village and themselves. They also are worth points for the Russians and the mortar and HMG set up there messed up my infantry. Their other anti-elephant assets are two T-34 85's. Given the setup and approach variations for the Germans, this scenario has good replay value.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO28 Deans Defiance as the Russians against Randy's Americans. First thing I have to say is really read that VC, it can really fool you if you do not pay alot of attention to it. Basically the Russians have to exit 60VP's, for every building the Americans still hold, the VP's is increased by 2 IE if the Americans still hold 4 buildings for example, the Russians will need to exit 68VP's. So losing any T-34's will probably doom the Russian attack. In our game, we played 5 turns, but with the loss of two t-34's and a good chunk of infantry, I did not have the forces to exit off map. I think with this scenario, the Russians will need to keep their T-34's out of harms way and just let the infantry try and clear out the buildings. Not an easy task due to a 10-3 directing fire from the large factory building (though my sniper did wing him but did not kill him). I'd say it is very pro American due to the high VP requirment for the Russians to exit. I think the designer perhaps should have gone the other way with the VC, for every building captured by the Russians reduces the VC requirment by 2, this way you can actually get the T-34's into battle. Ok scenario but probably needed a bit more TLC in the playtest and design stages.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
solitaire the tank ambush part of HUMAN BULLETS. Rough rough rough on the North Koreans......

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played WO 25 The Replacements an Italian vs Russian on deluxe maps. I was the Defending Russians with an upfront defense but with a few squads in the rear with the gear. I had placed my 45L ATG in the building on the Board l hill map which is adjacent to the only road and access to the rest of the area to ambush the Italian Armor. The Italians do have the option to smash through the woods, which my opponent did attempt with only one tank out of three getting bogged he sent to try and flank around my boys. His other three tanks went after my board l building defense, I had both my ATG and on the 1st level I had my HMG, 9-1 and leader. My opponent used the Italian armor to bypass sleaze freeze me with one tank getting blown up by my ATG, He sent another tank to bypass sleaze freeze me, so I intensed fired my gun and missed, to keep my upper level guys from firing out (I had already killed two squads) he sent another tank in to sleaze freeze me and went CE, I fire my HMG and got a k/ on his CE crew which recalled him, he then sent his last of his 6 tanks in to once more bypass sleaze freeze me and once more I scored a 2MC on the exposed crew, which they failed and being 1 man turrets Auto recalled them. By turn my HMG position was wiped out but I did take down three tanks, so all in all, the Italians had 2 tanks left out of the original 6 (one mired). After that little skirmish, my Opponent had to really move forward, and I really had no AT capability left to really stop his last two tanks, granted I had MOL's, but against motion tanks can be ineffective usually.

The game did go down to the last turn as my two VC buildings got sleaze freezed by his last two tanks, (MOL's failed, streetfighting failed), and thus his infantry was able to move up and paste my defenders on the last turn. Interesting note, one VC building has upper level, so to keep the Russians from doing the old break and rout upstairs bit, my opponent went CE with his bypassing tank, thus if I broke, I would have to rout out. Nice scenario, if more then three or four Italian tanks survive to game end, this can really make holding to the VC buildings really hard for the Russians.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Interesting note, one VC building has upper level, so to keep the Russians from doing the old break and rout upstairs bit, my opponent went CE with his bypassing tank, thus if I broke, I would have to rout out.
I'm not sure I understand the significance of going CE. Upstairs would be ADJACENT whether the tank was CE or not, so any unit routing upstairs (there are only ground and first levels in that building) would be eliminated for failure to rout.

JR

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm not sure I understand the significance of going CE. Upstairs would be ADJACENT whether the tank was CE or not, so any unit routing upstairs (there are only ground and first levels in that building) would be eliminated for failure to rout.

JR
Scott has carefully confused the TPBF rules fire restriction rules with the Rout Phase/ADJACENT rules.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We're In the last turn of Mattias Ronnblom's No Glory in War FrF78... a brilliant little scenario that I got in my Albany 2015 tournment pack but hadn't gotten to play. It's small and short as tournament scenarios tend to be, but it's really tricky. It's essentially a meeting engagement with a small russian force of infantry and radioless tin cans fighting for control of a pair of crossroads against a smaller force of german infantry and slightly better tin cans. But the staggered entry of the Russians, and the Victory conditions which call for the Germans to completely control just one of the crossroads to win make for a really interesting strategic challenge. We're in the final turn and my Germans have to find a way to drive out a few desperate Russians (including a brave and foolish Kosomolets driver) who've made a last gasp lunge at the southern crossroads... it was looking entirely grim for the Germans until in the previous DFph I hit paydirt rolling a 3 on a 16 up 7(!) shot followed by big numbers on all MC checks -- broke his commissar and both accompanying squads holed up in the crucial stone house hard by the crossroads. We're playing PBEM so I didn't get to see the agony in my opponent's face... but it's still fun.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
We played three turns of J60 Bad Luck. My Panther got lucky early on and killed two Shermans, but then I got reckless, and now the Panther sits pretty exposed in the front row with an American Squad with a bazooka in its rear. And one of my HS that has captured an American squad is in danger of being overrun. Exciting game so far.