Errata'd Counters

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you do with original core module counters that have been errata-ed? Put them in an ASL bone yard?

Example. In AoO there is a sheet with British, Finnish, Russian, American and German 5/8" errata counters.

Just wondering

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
What do you do with original core module counters that have been errata-ed? Put them in an ASL bone yard?

Example. In AoO there is a sheet with British, Finnish, Russian, American and German 5/8" errata counters.

Just wondering
I have them all pushed into an old dice tower. :) -- jim

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just wondering
Into the jar with the purple Germans

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Just wondering
Not al of those are errata counters, IIRC.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not al[l] of those are errata counters, IIRC.
You are correct. A listing of some of the errata may be found here. You'll need to scroll down to the section on "Counters." The specific section you're looking for is the one for Beyond Valor 2nd Edition. That ought to tell you at least in part which counters are errata. If you have a 3rd Ed copy of Beyond Valor, the counters may appear identical to the ones you already have.

Counters in Armies of Oblivion that I am reasonably sure are NOT errata include:
Sturmtiger (Originally published in Operation Veritable)
SdKfz 10/5 (Originally published in Valor of the Guards)
Stuart III (a)
Sherman III (a)
M3A1 SC (a)
Valentine V (b)

And as for the original question-- what do I do with out of date counters? I store them in little ziploc bags, sorted by original source. You know... in case I need them one day.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It depends upon how much was got wrong in the originals. The Jagdtigers with the wrong size graphic I keep because it's just a great hulking lump that there is no way I will misremember it. A wrong name usually won't as it usually has no effect on gameplay though Pz35(t) vs Pz35t does, it's one I will remember. Bad RoF's, Turret type, B# do as I am likely to forget. When AH tanked, I managed to get extra cores, some from retail closing down sales and ended up with decent numbers of vehicles and guns, but far too many squads. I still have some of those surplus in a box and the errata counters go there.

Overall I'm reluctant to retire counters.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Grind and add to vape.

I have an oversized Plano with replaced and retired counters. There are quite a few counter types I’ve taken out excessive ones, or front/back combos I don’t like or whatever. So it’s not only errata that comes out of my set.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. They do make for a unique wall tile pattern in the game cave, around the table of cardboard combat. Combine them with other wargame retired counters as well if you are a multifunctional (more than ASL) wargamer.

2. Have them coated in a hard nylon plastic coating after dampening slightly, and shaped into a toothbrush and a comb. Then you can brush your teeth and your hair with ASL, and become the world's first "True ASL FAN-atic".

3. Recycle them and have them returned as rolls of toilet paper. You'll be the first on your block to be able to brag, "Yeah, well I'm so hardcore, i wipe my butt with ASL!".

4. Add in liberal doses to your morning smoothie in the blender. Increases your fiber intake and your ASL time as well.

:D

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They go to the Isle of Misfit Counters. One day, Santa Perry will visit them and take them all to Ohio State fans, who are too stoopid to know the difference.

(Go Blue :) )

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Note that there are Dead Sea Scroll fragments which prove that the "wrong" counters were founded on original data which was valued at the same level of authority as the "correct" ones by the possible small Essene community of Qumran.
So keeping and using the "wrong" counters could be the "correct" way to go.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Note that there are Dead Sea Scroll fragments which prove that the "wrong" counters were founded on original data which was valued at the same level of authority as the "correct" ones by the possible small Essene community of Qumran.
So keeping and using the "wrong" counters could be the "correct" way to go.
Physics is getting used to the crazy concept of reverse causality. Not mainstream yet, but a consequence of the Einstein 4D (3 space & 1 time) 'Block Universe' that at the macro level any object's entire history appears as a line through a fixed 4D block, like a hair caught in resin. We are used to the idea that A causes B which in turn causes C. However if C is in the future then B must happen now and A must have happened in the past. The idea is that the future has equal status with the past with regard to determining the present, whatever what we call the 'present' really is. In a sense the convergence of signals both from the past and future determine the present.

As no point in time should be special with regards to the laws of nature, no more than any particular location, a point in the past should be affected by the the present or near future. So a strong enough causality signal from an incorrect counter could have an effect on a past vehicle. So Jagdtigers in 1945 may 'flutter' between big and small vehicles until all incorrect counters based on them are destroyed. By 'flutter' I mean they are/were in a state of Quantum Superposition, being both in an extra big and normal small state at the same time.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Physics is getting used to the crazy concept of reverse causality. Not mainstream yet, but a consequence of the Einstein 4D (3 space & 1 time) 'Block Universe' that at the macro level any object's entire history appears as a line through a fixed 4D block, like a hair caught in resin. We are used to the idea that A causes B which in turn causes C. However if C is in the future then B must happen now and A must have happened in the past. The idea is that the future has equal status with the past with regard to determining the present, whatever what we call the 'present' really is. In a sense the convergence of signals both from the past and future determine the present.

As no point in time should be special with regards to the laws of nature, no more than any particular location, a point in the past should be affected by the the present or near future. So a strong enough causality signal from an incorrect counter could have an effect on a past vehicle. So Jagdtigers in 1945 may 'flutter' between big and small vehicles until all incorrect counters based on them are destroyed. By 'flutter' I mean they are/were in a state of Quantum Superposition, being both in an extra big and normal small state at the same time.
o_O

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Before anyone says "Nonsense", remember that reality just IS. We humans evolved to deal with opportunities and threats on a scale somewhere between the size of the Universe and the Planck. We were not required to understand the quantum nature of reality to survive. If the observed phenomenon of an electron that passes through the classic two slit experiment and behaves as if it simultaneously passes through both slits seems nonsense, then the problem is not with the electron, it is with what we call 'sense'.

That concludes this month's science and philosophy lecture. I hope you have enjoyed having your minds expanded and/or blown. :nod:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
We should roll CS, TK and TH DR in that sequence.
Not quite. The rolling of a CS in the future means that you must roll a TK now and have just rolled a TH. Now you could declare a CS roll without any TH and TK or even without ASL, but it would not really be a CS roll, you are just playing with your dice, however pleasurable it might be.

The whole question of our perception of time's arrow seems to boil down to thermodynamics and statistics. Entropy is the measure of the disorder in a system or looking at in another way it takes more information to pin down the components of a system. Take a gas in a container. You unplug it and allow the gas particles to escape into a bigger box. They randomly move about, but there are now more locations/states they can occupy. They will have no real preference for one location over the next but due to simply having more locations than before means they will smear out over all the now available locations. IE the gas hisses out of it's original container. Because they can be anywhere inside the larger box we say the entropy of the system has increased. Our memories build up by processing chemicals from outside us, thus increasing order internally, IE decreasing our brain's entropy, but the chemical reactions of our bodies increases the entropy of the planet/universe overall.

The base concept is that past, present and future are quite solidly linked. Think of it this way. You walk outside and see sharp shards of glass on the pavement. You can be pretty certain that someone dropped a piece of glass there. Whether that was accidental or deliberate is another matter. Now someone may have brought a bag of glass shards and deliberately placed them there, but that person must have smashed something glass at some time.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
"What if D-O-G really spelled Cat" Dudley Booger Dawson
This post reminded me of one of my favorite jokes:

Q: Did you hear the one about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac?
A: He stayed up all night wondering whether or not there really was a doG. :)

In response to your OP, all my errata'd counters are put in with the rest. Like Paul, I have played the game long enough that I know the correct designations on the most used vehicles, and don't need visually reminded that the T34-M41 with the thick, enclosing square is inaccurate, and the thinner, enclosing square is accurate. Sure, some of the lesser known vehicle errata might catch me in this way, but whoopty-do. If there was an AFV with printed H6, but it was supposed to be H8, I would just retroactively figure that that particular unit didn't get the extra rounds when the Ammo Carrier came by. If, like myself, you do a quick speed-read of the Vehicle Note for each vehicle being used in a particular scenario (with the counters in front of you), you will likely catch 95% of counter errata anyways. Besides, those 'unwanted' counters have also proven useful when playing XL scenarios requiring 10 or 15 of a particular AFV model.

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I am pretty sure this explains why I roll box cars soon after I roll snakes. The future box cars influences the snakes being rolled and then appeared in order to nullify them.