Solitaire Campaign Games

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tooz, for casemates look for the old On All Fronts magazine issue that had the Eban Emael module in it and use those rules for bunkers/casemates. Dont know which issue it was in but have seen it at my buddy's house so it does exist.

Peebs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whenever SASL has the unit doing something strange, I have the unit roll against their morale and if they pass, then they do what was originally planned or what the common sense solution should be.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Whenever SASL has the unit doing something strange, I have the unit roll against their morale and if they pass, then they do what was originally planned or what the common sense solution should be.
I like that. SASL does say right at the beginning that you should use judgment but that’s a nice approach that makes it feel a bit more “rulesy.”

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I miss the cover shot of The Ramones eponymously titled debut album! Hopefully it wasn't put into a Rocket To Russia; that would only be the Road To Ruin.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I played two SASL missions once. I played the first one and enjoyed it. But I then played one where I was on the defense and the BOT seemed to just keep on pooping units at me and I kept gunning them down and more came, lots, but I kept gunning them down. it was a cardboard shooting gallery and didn't seem real nor exciting at all. Maybe this was an anomaly but I came with a bad feeling about SASL because of it.
I think that OtO has a SASL CG where you are the Russians so will attack in all scenarios.

Peace

Roger

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So Fred; what are you going to settle for? RBCGIII with doubled OOB?.....if you are your own boss then the possibilities are endless.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OtO has two SASL Missions, One I designed; it's a cavalry engagement and Off the top of my head, If I remember correctly, its call 'Take the Crossroads'. That should give you an idea of what is involved. I haven't played it in years. It's great SASL and something that everyone should try at least once, in that its a real dice fest, in that cavalry charge over near open ground. Think MG's vs charging horses But it don't always go the way of the MG'er. In other words...it's slaughter one way or the other.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So Fred; what are you going to settle for? RBCGIII with doubled OOB?.....if you are your own boss then the possibilities are endless.
When I get to doing solo campaign it will likely be the Decision at Elst one with normal OB. But nice try though. :)

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OtO has two SASL Missions, One I designed; it's a cavalry engagement and Off the top of my head, If I remember correctly, its call 'Take the Crossroads'. That should give you an idea of what is involved. I haven't played it in years. It's great SASL and something that everyone should try at least once, in that its a real dice fest, in that cavalry charge over near open ground. Think MG's vs charging horses But it don't always go the way of the MG'er. In other words...it's slaughter one way or the other.
Where can one find these missions? Did they come with the pack?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The way I play solo games is to pit my omniscience vs itself. So that if as the defender I know that I am planning to bring on units in a certain area when playing the attacker, then I will specifically defend that area. That will force me as the attacker to look elsewhere to attack. The defender will only have a limited number of resources to cover the avenues of attack. As the defender I analyse all my favourite plans to attack and take measures to thwart them. Once the defence has been set up - as the attacker I am left with a limited choice of where to attack. All the best routes have been covered and so I need to devise a plan to attack despite have blocked all my preferences.
It makes for a very balanced and tense game. The attacker now has real obstacles to his plans because as the defender I foresaw all the best plans. There is NO PRETENDING that I do not know in my solo games. I pitch my all knowingness against itself - the result is a very fine balance.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The only measures I take to mitigate my all knowingness is to disallow searching and recon by fire. That way HIP counters remain hidden and cannot be found except by entering the hex. Dummy counters can also be included by disallowing movement in their hex except in the advance phase. Thus dummies can be used to slow down enemy movement. That act as potential units which can only be removed by advancing into their hex. It gives dummy counters some potency.