I think someone ought to design some monster ASLSK scenarios.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Late to the party here:

1) I think Campaign Games such as Elst add in a LOT of overhead compared to simply having a larger/more complex "monster" scenario for SK.

2) I disagree with those that aver that SK is or should be a stepping stone, at least from my experience getting back into it over the last 14 months or so. I have seen and heard many state that SK provided plenty to sate their desire for tactical WWII gaming.

3) My daughter and I attended 2 FASL tournaments (Atlanta and ASLOK) in 2017. She got in 4 different SK scenarios and I got in 1 with FASL players who were good with stepping down to the SK rules. With the incredibly useful FASL-SK index that is out there it was pretty simple for this to occur. I note that her being an extremely cute, fun AND SK-knowledgeable 12yo girl DEFINITELY helped get grognards to line up to play with her!! :-D

4) I am going to do my best to get someone (maybe Andrew Maly?) to join me in a playing of SK A that Xenovin posted here. I am starting a discourse with him/her about it on the specific thread he started about it (http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/free-monster-sk-scenario-draft.142599/).

5) I can't wait for the ASLSK PTO module to be released!!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hi TheSQLGuru, I'm definitely not in the ASLSK should only be for learning ASL camp. Some have denounce the effort "wasted" by MMP on SKs. But considering that SKers have only had 4, small by ASL standards, modules, a bonus pack and Elst, the impact on ASL production I judge to be light. While I might question the suitability of ASLSK for PTO, given the sneaky nature of Japanese in ASL, I still welcome any addition to SK's meagre repertoire. I will be getting one (maybe two) for myself when it comes out, admittedly mainly for the boards.

If you only continue on the ASLSK route without going to ASL, then I sincerely hope you get as much enjoyment as ASLers get from ASL.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks folks. Now that you say it, it seems rather obvious from the context.

Though, for me "Full ASL" would be more precisely termed just "ASL".
But maybe, I am a purist in this regard.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Sorry, I should have spelled it out I guess. I have been posting mostly over in the ASLSK FB group - er, Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit group on www.Facebook.com. :-D Over there FASL has been spelled out and I think most people know what it means.

I supposed you could have though I was calling it "F*cking ASL", so I do understand your question though. LOL

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi TheSQLGuru, I'm definitely not in the ASLSK should only be for learning ASL camp. Some have denounce the effort "wasted" by MMP on SKs. But considering that SKers have only had 4, small by ASL standards, modules, a bonus pack and Elst, the impact on ASL production I judge to be light. While I might question the suitability of ASLSK for PTO, given the sneaky nature of Japanese in ASL, I still welcome any addition to SK's meagre repertoire. I will be getting one (maybe two) for myself when it comes out, admittedly mainly for the boards.

If you only continue on the ASLSK route without going to ASL, then I sincerely hope you get as much enjoyment as ASLers get from ASL.
I started with SK1 in 2004, then quickly moved to FASL and played until around 2007ish. As everyone told me at ASLOK the year I found out my wife and I were having a child "well, see you in about a decade or so - maybe", that did in fact come to pass. Sigh.

But having picked ASLSK back up and playing regularly with my daughter over the last year has been awesome. There are over 100 SK-specific scenarios now (I created a nice excel spreadsheet of all of them, including ROAR, forces, etc), and enough chrome and variety to keep me and lots of others busy and satisfied for years to come. The fact that the ENTIRE rule book for DaE (non-campaign) is just 28 pages (about a third of which is images/lists/EoP), plus Jay Richardson's INCREDIBLE tutorials, makes ASLSK an imminently approachable yet sufficiently complex game.

Don't get me wrong (and I didn't mean to intimate): I DEFINITELY think ASLSK is and will continue to be a GREAT means by which the ranks of FASL players are increased. Patrick Ireland alone has trained almost 150 SK players, a large fraction of whom continued on to the full game.

About PTO: I have been involved with that, helping with rulebook review and editing, examples of play, as well as play testing one of the larger scenarios with Perry Cocke at ASLOK in fall 2017. It is really going to be great I think. PTO was my favorite in FASL, and they have captured the essence of it, including the step-reduction stuff and peculiarities of terrain. There is even CONCEALMENT in the rulebook (NOT added as SSR). Speaking of SSRs, some of the scenarios have some cool chrome such as CAVES added in. :-D The maps are quite nice as well. I am really hoping MMP will bring it to Nor'Easter and the Texas ASL tournaments so I can get my hands on it some more!!

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think between the 3 ASLSK kits and the expansion pack, there’s enough counters for monster-type scenarios.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I think between the 3 ASLSK kits and the expansion pack, there’s enough counters for monster-type scenarios.
For late war US, British, and Germans yes, for other nationalities, not so much

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Cheers,
von Marwitz
I agree with you. ASL came out first, so it should always be referred to by it's original name. Adding letters to ASL is the proper method for describing an additional item for ASL, like; HASL = Historical ASL, SASL = Solitaire ASL, VASL = Vassal ASL, etc. The Starter Kits themselves should likewise be in reference to ASL. If SKASL isn't smooth enough, then something else like BASL for Basic; Beginner; Bastard Child etc. would be correct English. Full ASL or FASL is improper English in this instance though, and should no longer be used by anyone. <G>

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I agree with you. ASL came out first, so it should always be referred to by it's original name. Adding letters to ASL is the proper method for describing an additional item for ASL, like; HASL = Historical ASL, SASL = Solitaire ASL, VASL = Vassal ASL, etc. The Starter Kits themselves should likewise be in reference to ASL. If SKASL isn't smooth enough, then something else like BASL for Basic; Beginner; Bastard Child etc. would be correct English. Full ASL or FASL is improper English in this instance though, and should no longer be used by anyone. <G>
It’s <ahem> ASLite. ;)