Forgotten War first impressions, or Where is the searchlight scenario?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hey, we have pages to fill. Would you rather have longer searchlight rules?
At first I feared that it was a return to the bad old days of Chapter E, first edition. It turns out most of them are historical comments, something like, "Because of the extreme cold in winter, the Americans blew their noses a lot at night, which is why they are treated as Lax for Ambush at night in winter."

And yes, I'd like to have longer searchlight rules. There are many questions left unanswered. For instance, how many SMC does it take to change a searchlight bulb?

JR

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At first I feared that it was a return to the bad old days of Chapter E, first edition. It turns out most of them are historical comments, something like, "Because of the extreme cold in winter, the Americans blew their noses a lot at night, which is why they are treated as Lax for Ambush at night in winter."

And yes, I'd like to have longer searchlight rules. There are many questions left unanswered. For instance, how many SMC does it take to change a searchlight bulb?

JR
When will we see sticky errata for the search light rules??

Thanks
Joe

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One thing of note: the four included boards are geomorphically compatible with standard boards on only two of the four edges. The other edges join in a two-by-two configuration to form a very large hill, rather like the boards from Higher Ground but with four boards instead of two.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
One thing of note: the four included boards are geomorphically compatible with standard boards on only two of the four edges. The other edges join in a two-by-two configuration to form a very large hill, rather like the boards from Higher Ground but with four boards instead of two.

JR
Or a very deep valley

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

JR
Even then you can have 2 x 4 board single hills, ignoring 180° rotations of the whole combination.

AB
CD
or
AC
BD

Any board can be swapped with it's diagonal sibling.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.” - Michael Corleone

- And now The Wolkster...

Told the locals I’m taking a break from ASL and that I ‘might’ come back when The Korean War was published. It’s been a glorious 2 year break, but KW looks so freakin good that I’m starting to get that itch again.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone working on some hypothetical Warsaw Pact v Nato scenarios? T-54s vs M-46s anyone? When did the 100L get put into the T54? That will sting.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Make that Searchlight...

von Marwitz
No you missed a trick. I deliberately selected the word I did, b/c a spotlight is very much like a searchlight, and* has the movie connotation since Rob quoted a movie line. Plus Rob is making a 'center stage' / 'limelight' statement...announcing his return to the hobby. Maybe steep hills will lure him back to as he is prepping to climb Kilimanjaro in the future.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone working on some hypothetical Warsaw Pact v Nato scenarios? T-54s vs M-46s anyone? When did the 100L get put into the T54? That will sting.
Paging Paul M. Weir pick up the white phone...in 3, 2, ....

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished punching and clipping the travel set. The counter quality in this module is excellent. The two-toned counters had almost zero offset.

I wish there were more scenarios. Only one OUNC, no RM commandos scenario, one Ranger scenario. That's a lot of counters to sort and clip for 2 ASL actions. I'm sure the designers gave these to us for a reason and I'm looking forward to seeing more designs for this product. Now, I just need to start playing what I got.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Paging Paul M. Weir pick up the white phone...in 3, 2, ....
Right from the start.

The approximate chain of development is thus ..

An attempt was made to put a 100L in a T-34 as the T-34/100 but that was simply too much gun to be practical.

In the meantime the T-44 was tried with both the 100L and 122L (as in the IS series). The basic T-44 (85L) had a few teething problems so development continued. The T-34 style sprockets and track was regarded as sub-optimal and it was decided to use what became the T-54/55/62 standard with more conventional toothed sprocket and tracks. The new track and sprocket when fitted to existing T-44 turned them into T-44M. The T-44M had other improvements but the new tracks are the most obvious differences. The T-44 turret, though better than the T-34/85 for fitting a 100L, was regarded as being too small and a larger version, with small increases in hull dimensions, was added to the new T-44 automotive components and that became the T-54 m1946 (aka T-54-1).

The m1946 turret was like an enlarged T-44 turret in shape with a wide mantle, quite unlike the latter turrets. T-54 m1946 production seemed to be quite low but at least one found it's way into Egyptian service and is preserved. While T-54 teething problems were likely not much worse than normal but with the end of the war and the need for restoring civilian needs it was not until '49 that a full production version was introduced as the T-54 m1949 (T-54-2). This had the inverted frying pan shaped turret with tiny mantle that we all recognise. This turret had a rear overhang with an undercut. Later the undercut was removed to produce the M1951 (T-54-3). Thereafter various production and refit upgrades were added like first single and later double axis stabilisation. Due to the long service life you saw everything from laser range finders, modular passive and active armour, NBC kit, even tube fired ATGM being added. The T-55 was one of the results of a design effort to improve the T-54. One version had a new gun (smoothbore 100mm?), but what was decided was a production improved version of the T-54 with the same gun as the T-54, the safe bet. There have been so many T-54/55 upgrade items that I have lost track.