Fire into Location containing friendly units

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi
Situation at start of German PFPh
VASLMap 1.jpg

The German unit fires the HMG at J8. Attack is 6FP with +1 hindrance DRM. The attack DR is 3,1 for a final DR of 5. Truck is eliminated, becoming a wreck, British squad passes its 1MC.

It is now the start of the British DFPh. Situation is below
VASLMap 2.jpg

The Britsh player wants to attack the wreck in an attempt to create a blazing wreck [D10.1]
May the British squads in K9, J9 and I10 fire into Location J9, targeting only the wreck?

Or would fire using these squads IFP into J8 also affect the British squad there? And if so, would such an attack be allowed?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Jon

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
They can fire without affecting the friendly squads. A7.1 stipulates that enemy units are attacked. There a few situations where friendly fire affects units and these are called out explicitly in the rules:

- Shooting into a melee (not CC)
- friendly OBA
- Hitting a hex with ordnance on the Area Target Type.

Of course, now that I ponder on it some more, a wreck is not strictly speaking an enemy unit?

Never mind, D10.1 allows it.

Last edited:

Jon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Edit, never mind. I was on the wrong track :)

Cheers
Jon

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I don't see why not? Or am I missing something?

A7.4 says "...A unit/weapon may purposely attack a friendly unit(s) only if specifically allowed to by the rules governing a particular circumstance (e.g., Prisoners, Melee, OBA); see C3.33 for Area Target Type."

D10.1 says "...A non-burning wreck may be attacked by either side, treating the wreck as if it were still the original vehicle..."

Actually, I was missing something. What I just realized is the original vehicle was British..... I agree that the surrounding British units cannot shoot at the wreck.

Original question did not specifically call out the truck was British, although it obviously has to be for the German to make the shot in the first place.

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the "treating the wreck as if it were still the original vehicle" part means in order to determine if it burns. Both sides may attack a wreck, regardless of its nationality.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I believe the "treating the wreck as if it were still the original vehicle" part means in order to determine if it burns. Both sides may attack a wreck, regardless of its nationality.
I agree - the rule says "may be attacked by either side".