SASL House Rules

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over time, I've created various SASL House Rules that I thought improved on current SASLv2 rules. I believe that others may enjoy these SASL House Rules as well, so I am posting them here.

Please note these are House Rules specifically for SASL only. I did not put in any other regular ASL "house rules" (such as the Pleva OBA draw pile rule, no Vehicle Bypass "sleaze", IIFT vs. IFT, etc.).

Does anyone else has SASL House Rules that they would like to share?

Last edited:

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I like points 1 & 5 especially. I usually end up with more 527's than 447's in the early war campaigns and the long range ATG generation seems fitting as well.

One thing I've been implementing lately (from what Tom Morin wrote on here somewhere) is if the Action Roll leads to an action that seems stupid, etc, I'll roll a d6 and if 4-6 he will do the rolled action. 1-3 I'll direct him to what I think is better in its own interest.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't get the attachment to open. What program did you write this on? (Probably my comps fault; I've been having some trouble with it.)

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Download the file and change the file extension from php to xls. That allowed me to open it using OpenOffice.

I can't get the attachment to open. What program did you write this on? (Probably my comps fault; I've been having some trouble with it.)

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My attachment is MS Excel 2003. It shows as a ".xls" on my computer

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
A somewhat old thread, but perhaps worth resurrecting. I'll add

1. Some missions use an ENEMY in advance mode drawing from a 'pool' of S? counters whose size is based on FRIENDLY US#. In these cases I usually adjust the size of the pool by a correction factor comparing the BPV of the FRIENDLY side's 1st line MMC to the ENEMY side's 1st line MMC. This can be a big deal for East Front (especially Finns vs. Soviets) and China missions.

2. When an ENEMY AFV in 'Hold' mode appears in appropriate terrain, I check for hull down (D4.22) just as you would if you were a scenario defender setting up pre-game.

3. When multiple MMC activate from a single S? I only roll once on table X2, to cut down on die rolls. (I know some players carry this to greater extremes, but I'm content with this.)

4. Not a 'house rule' per se, but a practice I follow is representing temporarily attached FRIENDLY MMC with alternative artwork (either original SL or TPP) counters. This helps in tracking casualties and is simpler/faster than recording counter ID #s.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A somewhat old thread, but perhaps worth resurrecting. I'll add

4. Not a 'house rule' per se, but a practice I follow is representing temporarily attached FRIENDLY MMC with alternative artwork (either original SL or TPP) counters. This helps in tracking casualties and is simpler/faster than recording counter ID #s.
Nice adders. For number 4, with my German SASL campaign company I usually use red ID panzer Lehr from the OVHS HASL or the unique unit IDs from Festung Budapest

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
my favorite is :

Enemy Fire Discipline. When the prevailing Enemy Attitude is Hold any Enemy activated stack will not conduct Defensive First Fire as dictated by 8.61-8.611 - at player discretion- if the only moving Friendly unit is a HS/SMC, and if the Enemy unit having the lower morale in the Enemy stack passes a special Fire Discipline TC. Enemy leadership, if any, applies.

This house rule should limit/avoid the unrealistic tactic of the Friendly player to “soak off” all enemy fire with expendable units to gain total and unopposed freedom of movement.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I particularly like the ATG long range activation, never seemed right to me that AFV can roam around in the face of S? with near impunity.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
With respect to #4 on Augie's house rule list I'd point out that berserk FRIENDLY units are already immune to panic per S16.32 "Excepted units".