2018 Winter Offensive, Round 1: Death on the French Coast

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This was my first game of the weekend, Round 1 of the 'big' playtest mini (big scenarios, as opposed to the tiny mini with tiny maps and tiny players). I didn't snag the card so I'm recalling OBs from memory.

Opponent:

Dan Stanhagen, my Germans vs his French

Situation

It’s the 1940 campaign, and my recon force engages a French town defense with the object of breaking through or taking most of the town; I’m attacking across board 69 onto board 71. I had motorcycle troops with light armor support, including a PSW 222 and a pair of PzIIAs, plus late game truck reinforcements. Dan had a mix of first line and green defenders with a PanPan, a 12.7 AA gun, a 25LL ATG, and an offboard 37L AA gun with 8 IFE at level 3. He also had a roadblock and some wire to slow me down.

Greeted by the 12.7

Plan

I hoped to stay in blind hexes as much as possible, probe for weakness, and then mass for exit, overwhelming the defense in the vicinity of the exit hexes.

Early Going

I was heavy on left, which looked weak, jumping off my bikes a couple hexes from the two point VP building (several others were worth one apiece, and I scored another point for every six CVP exited, needing a total of seven overall).

Big Moment

I was feeling pretty good about my attack, with only the MMG defending the two point building. However, Dan then placed the 12.7 on the map, which shredded two squads and stuffed my left flank attack for several turns.

Better luck at the other end of town

Uh-Oh!

Dan stitched together a PanPan/MMG/12.7 combo on my left that was too difficult a puzzle to solve in the time allotted, and he used his wire and roadblock to effectively seal the exit from anything on wheels. So, with the two point building out of reach and the exit off the table, I had to take almost everything else.

Endgame

I cleaned up everything I needed except one building on my right that I’d been attacking since turn two. I threw everything at it, gaining a toehold and encircling the remaining defenders, but these hardcases proceeded to shrug off multiple 12, 16, and 20 FP attacks, standing strong and saving the day for the French cause.

Lessons Learned

No rules issues came up.

Couldn't quite crack it

Things I’d Do Differently

If I played this again, I’d apply more mass at a single point, probably focusing on the cover provided by the town, and try to roll through and overwhelm the board edge defense. Allotting a small force to pin the other flank in place would keep the French honest and still leave enough to complete the capture/exit mission.

Scenario Impressions

I like the way the situation develops with the waves of German reinforcements and the linear defense. I had the favored side but Danny found the perfect deployment, denying me the rush for the exit. That option removed, it turned into a city fight which changed the character of the game.

0-1 and out of the mini, but my record resets to 0-0 for the main event!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking at the picture and in shock. Somebody.... taped ... the boards together???

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

Great stuff.
It is, but even with removable tape you have to be careful removing it. I have seen it separate paper from the cardboard. I still use it, but I make sure I pull it off by tugging parallel to the board and gently rather than ripping vertically.

JR

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is, but even with removable tape you have to be careful removing it. I have seen it separate paper from the cardboard. I still use it, but I make sure I pull it off by tugging parallel to the board and gently rather than ripping vertically.

JR
Removable tape is the best stuff for overlays and holding boards together under plexi etc. JR is spot on however, be careful and take your time removing it and you will be OK.

Thanks
Joe

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Where soft tape really shines is for laminated boards and overlays. Just rip it right off.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where soft tape really shines is for laminated boards and overlays. Just rip it right off.

JR
I had problems with it even then when it caught a laminated edge funny and warped the edge (didn't separate the two sides, but put a wave in the edge), making mating that board edge funny from then on.