W10 Searchlights - The Schwerpunkt Pledge

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After having read W10 Searchlights, I must go on record now. I solemnly promise (on the sacred memory of Gregory Peck) to all ASLers everywhere to never (ever) include a searchlight in any Schwerpunkt or Rally Point scenario.
No worries Evan, I am sure there will be other designers that will be happy to include them. We did our best to represent all aspects of the Korean War...to include Searchlights. I am confident that had we not included searchlights, we'd have been critiqued for that as well. I realize lot of ASLers don't like night scenarios and refuse to play them. However, many of the most significant battles in Korea took place at night. Searchlights played a big role in mitigating Chinese night attacks later in the war (battles for "The Hook" for example). As ASLers get into Korea War history, they'll figure it out. If Searchlights are the only real complaint of the module, I think we've done pretty good as designers.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am sure there will be other designers that will be happy to include them.
I wonder how many scenarios will be designed that use them in a scenario. How many are included in Korea?

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wonder how many scenarios will be designed that use them in a scenario. How many are included in Korea?
There is one included in the module...Siberia Diversion The action is covered very well in Oscar Gilbert's "Marine Corps Tank Battles in Korea."

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure you're aware but in English, a 'headlight' is the normal driving lamps fitted to vehicles. A 'searchlight' is a high-powered light which is used to illuminate targets. The most common uses are in naval night firing and ground-based anti-aircraft applications. In the First and then again in the Second World War, they were also used to bounce light off of overcast to create "artificial moonlight" during night attacks by ground forces (also known in Normandy as "Monty's moonlight"). Usage of searchlights on tanks began in the Second World War. The Canal Defence Light was an early project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Defence_Light

Didn’t the CDL get used in the Rhine crossing?

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure you're aware but in English, a 'headlight' is the normal driving lamps fitted to vehicles. A 'searchlight' is a high-powered light which is used to illuminate targets. The most common uses are in naval night firing and ground-based anti-aircraft applications. In the First and then again in the Second World War, they were also used to bounce light off of overcast to create "artificial moonlight" during night attacks by ground forces (also known in Normandy as "Monty's moonlight"). Usage of searchlights on tanks began in the Second World War. The Canal Defence Light was an early project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Defence_Light

The "moonlight effect" described by Michael is also in FW: 10.6 SEARCHLIGHT BATTLEFIELD ILLUMINATION (SLBI).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Scenario HS17 uses the concept as well.

"...Finally, searchlights were "bounced" off the low cloud cover to both help the troops find their way to battle and then to illuminate the battle itself..."

SSR 1:
"..All hexes are considered to be Illuminated."

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Everybody is ok with rice paddy rules, right? 'Cause you're going to be using them in Korea.
Love them. Easy peasy. My last two scenario designs featured them; one at night.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenario HS17 uses the concept as well.

"...Finally, searchlights were "bounced" off the low cloud cover to both help the troops find their way to battle and then to illuminate the battle itself..."

SSR 1:
"..All hexes are considered to be Illuminated."
Strange; attacks at night are usually made to hide your troops. Providing your own illumination seems a bit counter-productive. I don't think I'd count it as a use of the Searchlight rules, though.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gilbert's book also provides Marine Corps tactics for Searchlight use.
Does this book help to "finalize" the argument we had about searchlights and how they might be used in ASL?

My argument was always that SLs could never be used on the AFV that fired the MA.

Others wanted the SL to be capable of being used when and AFV using the SL fires the MA.

I have actually seen the bulb "explode" when the vehicle using the SL fired the MA.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does this book help to "finalize" the argument we had about searchlights and how they might be used in ASL?

My argument was always that SLs could never be used on the AFV that fired the MA.

Others wanted the SL to be capable of being used when and AFV using the SL fires the MA.

I have actually seen the bulb "explode" when the vehicle using the SL fired the MA.
I read something that said that bulbs were very sensitive to shock. As I recall even firing a MG might jar them enough to pop the bulb. Can't tell you where I saw it though.

JR

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

They were designed such that if a Searchlight was turned on when the AFV fired its MA, SL immediately malfunctions. Kevin, your argument was spot on. This is one of the several reasons why USMC Tankers operated in pairs or greater. One to illuminate the target while the other(s) fired. We relied pretty heavily on Gilbert's book amongst others to design SL tactics and rules. Some folks will see the SLs as an unfair advantage that disrupts the night rules. They were purposely designed that way...war is seldom fair. Ask any Korean War vet that experienced Chinese mass attacks at night. I am sure they were very pleased to have searchlights expose enemy positions or attacks for destruction.

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read something that said that bulbs were very sensitive to shock. As I recall even firing a MG might jar them enough to pop the bulb. Can't tell you where I saw it though.

JR
You are correct. It has to do with the heat that is being generated by the SL, which then decreases the amount of 'shock' the filament can take versus when cool (i.e. off). Heat causes the filament to vibrate.... give off light...but the range of modulation is now at or near its widest, any further modulation (MA firing added vibration) causes added modulation and SNAP goes the filament.

pswede26

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They were designed such that if a Searchlight was turned on when the AFV fired its MA, SL immediately malfunctions. Kevin, your argument was spot on. This is one of the several reasons why USMC Tankers operated in pairs or greater. One to illuminate the target while the other(s) fired. We relied pretty heavily on Gilbert's book amongst others to design SL tactics and rules. Some folks will see the SLs as an unfair advantage that disrupts the night rules. They were purposely designed that way...war is seldom fair. Ask any Korean War vet that experienced Chinese mass attacks at night. I am sure they were very pleased to have searchlights expose enemy positions or attacks for destruction.
10.131 AMSL MALFUNCTION: A turret-mounted SL that is switched on (10.2) automatically malfunctions if the vehicles fires any turret-mounted weapons (or bow-mounted weapons for a bow-mounted SL).

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Nope. It's still going on my 'sh!t' list.

1. Bocage Wall Advantage rules.
2. Panjiis
3. Searchlights

I think there's 1 or 2 scenarios available that may keep me occupied instead.
So you won't be playing any of those night scenarios with searchlights, bocage and panjis.

You'll regret that decision one day.