Is SW recovery a concealment loss activity?

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
in LOS <= 16 hexes

I think so but haven't found the specific rule.

I feel rather newbish coming back after a long hiatus

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Yes it is a concealment loss activity (most "activities" are). These are not always listed in the RB... consult the concealment chart (somewhere between A-D...I don't have it handy).

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Yes. It falls under the "any other action" category in the notes on the Concealment Gain/Loss table in the Chapt A chapter divider.

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys. I thought so. The Concealment charts mentions dropping one is so it makes sense. Better to lose concealment and gain the HMG regardless. :cool:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I've said it elsewhere and it bears repeating ... the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart is probably the most important chart in the game. Every player should take the time to study it closely. Yeah there's a lot of text in very small print ... get a magnifying glass if you need one; you have to read it and become familiar with it.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I've said it elsewhere and it bears repeating ... the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart is probably the most important chart in the game. Every player should take the time to study it closely. Yeah there's a lot of text in very small print ... get a magnifying glass if you need one; you have to read it and become familiar with it.
Yeah, what Bruce said. I believe (I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong) that the Concealment Loss/Gain table is the only table that is formally called out in the rules as taking precedence over the text of the rules?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The ASOP states that it takes precedence in case of conflict, but it states that at the top of the ASOP itself, I don't think that there's any equivalent statement in the rules. I think you're correct that the Concealment Loss/Gain Chart is the only one specified in the rules that way.

Speaking of the ASOP, I just noticed one of those "the chart says more than the rules do" the other day. The rules about offboard observers merely discuss how they are set up and how they are used ... but not when they are set up, so one might well presume that, all things being equal, you set them up at the same time as you set up your other forces. (Compare with the rules for Pre-Reg hexes, which do specify that they must be set up before anyone sets up anything.) Nope ... the ASOP actually explicitly tells you to set up Offboard Observers at the same time as you set up Pre-Reg hexes (i.e., before anything else is set up). In other words, it doesn't matter whether you're Attacker or Defender, you won't know exactly where your opponent's units are when you set the Observer up. What is slightly less fair (perhaps) is that the Attacker is not normally allowed to conduct any LOS checks when setting up his Observer so he has to eyeball those potentially critical kill zones .... (Note that the Defender is not guaranteed to get any free LOS checks either, of course, but it's more likely in most situations.)