So what scenarios have you played Recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, and other British firepower.

My opponent’s plan was to set them off next to his fortified buildings, and hope to ride out the explosion.

As much trouble as I was having with the fortified buildings, it might have worked.
If timed properly, they can certainly soak up some FP- allowing the Partisan reinforcements to move more safely.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Love this scenario. Pete really nailed it. Had a great playing or this with Bret Hildebrand a year ago at WO. Pulled out a win with the Brits, but it seems to almost always be 2-2 going into the last turn. Makes for an exciting and very different, game.
Thanks, Carl -- but are you sure it wasn't TWO years ago? I think Bret was the champ last year, and thus went undefeated. (Unless it was in a mini)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Like I keep telling Ken, the box is your friend. It is OK to venture outside the box, but not TOO far, and be sure you know the way home.
This is why those old Kinetic Energy scenarios were such an influence on my design philosophy. They showed me how far was 'too far'. (But someone had to go there in order for us to know that. ) With a very 'stay in the box- or even the MIDDLE of the box" Bill Sisler as my earlier influence, I think I have found the really good spot in between the two.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Besides the ToT scenarios, another exemple of a design going too far is FrF83 Phantom Army. I am not blaming ambitious designers as they serve the process of "price discovery" (Wall Street people know) and prefer these efforts to a carbon copy of something already been explored at length.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I finished a VASL game of RPT122 LET'ER BUCK. This is a different different scenario where the attacker moves second. Game went down to the last CC phase, but Americans never got the OBA into play.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Damon Norko l and I finished a VASL game of FrF 87 Mormal Forest Game went down to the last ad Fire PH. My Germans never got a success in CC/melee failings >5 times attacks at 2/1 or 3/1. At the end the German were still in the position to win but a 2 IFT attack (no DRM) pinned the 838 carrying the FT when he was just to burn the last defender of the last objective. The asimmetrical nature and position of the objectives makes interesting the scenario.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
At the end the German were still in the position to win but a 2 IFT attack (no DRM) pinned the 838 carrying the FT when he was just to burn the last defender of the last objective.
Would he? That's wishful thinking. Tell that to my Japanese 448 who was about to exit the board on the last turn in Buckley's Block, went berserk on a NMC and instead charged a useless HS, costing me the game... :(

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Would he? That's wishful thinking. Tell that to my Japanese 448 who was about to exit the board on the last turn in Buckley's Block, went berserk on a NMC and instead charged a useless HS, costing me the game... :(
It sucks when your cardboard troops are less focused on the VC than you are.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I finished one scenario and started and finished a second scenario in a four hour VASL session. We completed J168 Katyusha's Embrace that we had started in an earlier session. My Russian objectives were southern building hexes and K9 VC hex area. Rocket OBA targeted southern stone building. Broke most Rumanians, but started fires in nearby woods which later prevented the Russians from venturing north. Came down to the final CC Phase near the VC hex. Russians won with four building hexes and four units near VC hex.

The second match was 162 Armored Car Savikurki; I had the Russians again. I set up three conscript squads and the Commissar in the southeast area and the HMG was in the stone building near where the two roads join. The LMG team was centre, rear in the wood building, waiting to see where the Finns went. One squad was in the north area to block the path through the woods. Bruno's Finns came in on the northern half of the map. Bruno used the AC mostly for long range fire against the HMG. After a few AC shots, the HMG squad broke, but the HMG was re-manned for the end game. The Finns made good time for two turns, but then slowed down to keep concealment. The Finn leader went down to a casualty MC. One Finnish HS that broke never rallied in two turns of trying. For the last turn, Bruno still had six points of infantry that could exit, but the Russians had the area well covered. The exiting infantry broke under fire to give a Russian win.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over two gaming sessions, I eeked out a German win in U2 Sweep for Bordj Toum Bridge. My friend and I played this one way back when in G.I. Anvil of Victory (I think that's the one it was originally from). Turns 1 -3 took forever so we stopped at that point for a final push this weekend. The break gave me time to reassess what I was doing and I decided to shift my focus and move everything towards the 714 hill mass. It worked for two reasons. 1) Greater mobility on the German side allowed me to mass my assets at one point. 2) My friend thought he had one of his hidden AT Guns in the brush on the hill. He didn't. In fact he didn't record it at all! Tough mistake but there was nothing we could do about it by then. That let me make a halftrack rush to Board 7 and give me just a few more VPs than needed. Had that gun been there, I feel confident that I would have lost. Moving through two hill boards with serious bottlenecks slowed things down for the first half of the game and made for tough going in general.

The other side of the river stalled out as the American combat engineers gave the German flanking force everything it could handle. Little headway was made in that sector.

The scenario basically plays like two separate scenarios. I think it would be ideal for a four player team play. I'd recommend it for either side but go in knowing you are investing a lot of time to play this one. I think we took about 12 hours to get this one done. Thus ended our 1942 Torch mini campaign.

Last edited:

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Knowing we might have a little extra time, and planning on moving to Stalingrad and beyond for a while, we planned ahead to play AP122 Mechanized Sacrifice. Though not even close to being in Stalingrad, we had already played a bunch of Barbarossa scenarios and we wanted to try Board 78. Turns out that board never really came into play as most of the action took place on Board 13. Over the course of a year, I've played a few scenarios like this one. An armored push for EVPs with no real reason to stop and shoot. In all cases the exiting player won. This one was no exception. My friend pushed his Russians right in my face. He stopped only a few tanks and kept the rest in motion. My initial force was totally ineffective and I lost three of four by the end of turn 2. My Pz IIIs tried to stem the tide but it was no use. With all of his AFVs intact, I took out a few but not enough. The game got more exciting near the end with me intensive firing every chance I could, but I was overwhelmed by sheer numbers. All armor scenarios are not my cup of tea. This one was OK but I don't think it requires much tactics. For the Russians, move and stay in motion except for a small fire base. For the Germans, pick a line in the sand and hope your shots connect. My friend and I rate this one "meh", unless you're a treadhead - which we aren't. It also plays really fast so there's that...

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played DB131 A Thorn in The Side, another PTO gem from Dispatches from the Bunker. An elite Japanese infantry unit must destroy a troop of British Sherman tanks defended by RM commandos in 1944 Burma. I managed to eke out a win as the Japanese through bold employment of my multiple, HIP, DC-equipped TH-Heroes. A recent refresher review of the Banzai rules also helped immensely. My opponent set up in what I considered to be a good mutual supporting defense, and he even managed a set of consecutive point blank 75mm HE critical hits...causing a 2PMC which I passed somehow.

I consider this to be a very close scenario, which could be un-winable for the Japanese player if he fails to exploit the unique Japanese ASL characteristics. I couldn't help having the feeling during the game that we were playing Vietnam ASL, with my VC forces attacking a laagered U.S. ACR unit.

Highly recommended!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played DB131 A Thorn in The Side, another PTO gem from Dispatches from the Bunker. An elite Japanese infantry unit must destroy a troop of British Sherman tanks defended by RM commandos in 1944 Burma. I managed to eke out a win as the Japanese through bold employment of my multiple, HIP, DC-equipped TH-Heroes. A recent refresher review of the Banzai rules also helped immensely. My opponent set up in what I considered to be a good mutual supporting defense, and he even managed a set of consecutive point blank 75mm HE critical hits...causing a 2PMC which I passed somehow.

I consider this to be a very close scenario, which could be un-winable for the Japanese player if he fails to exploit the unique Japanese ASL characteristics. I couldn't help having the feeling during the game that we were playing Vietnam ASL, with my VC forces attacking a laagered U.S. ACR unit.

Highly recommended!
Oops. You can't HIP a THH with a DC.
G1.422 May a T-H Hero be set up HIP possessing a DC?
A. No, because he cannot be set up possessing a SW (G1.423). [Gen27.2; An92; An95w; An96; Mw]
G1.423 salts it as they can only come by a DC if it is transferred to them. That happens when they are created by a DC toting Japanese MMC.