Nor'easter XXII: April 5th - April 8th 2018 - Starter Kit players welcome!

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a good time of year to send out a reminder of the upcoming Nor’easter XXII tournament. We hope everyone has a great holiday and finds some time to get some ASL in too. :)

The Nor'easter is New England's regional ASL championships. It is held annually near Boston, MA. It is a yearly get-together of people in the New England area that play Advanced Squad Leader (ASL). The Nor'easter is hosted and directed by the boys from The Bunker (of Dispatches from the Bunker fame) and the Yankee ASL Group.

Visitors are very welcome, and you will probably be able to play a game if you want to learn. Have a look at the archived web sites for previous Nor'easters (http://www.yankeegamers.org/noreaster/index.php) to see what the event is like.

The Nor'easter will start at 1000 EDT (1400 Zulu) on Thursday April 5th 2018 and go until 1800 (2200 Zulu) EDT on Sunday April 8th 2018, with 24-hour access to the gaming rooms. The Thursday game play is open gaming, with the exception of the Big MoFo large scenario tournament. The MoFo, due to the scenario sizes, starts on Thursday but the main tournament and minis start on Friday/Saturday.

All players from beginners to experts are encouraged to attend and the emphasis is on having fun! All attendees are automatically entered into a random drawing for a fabulous raffle which is drawn on Saturday April 7th.

Like last year, we will feature special support for ASL Starter Kit (SK) players. Mitch Abrams will return as the SK master of ceremonies and will work out match-ups, scenario suggestions and assist with rules questions. We have plenty of room and extra kits available so everyone will get a chance to play. Just bring yourself. :) We have SK resources available at http://www.yankeegamers.org/downloadables.php.

The main tournament (Tournament Director Carl Nogueira) is 5 rounds (Friday mini players are included in the main tournament) over 3 days and there are also 3 "minis". The Friday mini (managed by Joe Gochinski) and Saturday mini (managed by Ralph MacDonald) are perfect for those who can only make it for 1 day. There is also the (in)famous MoFo mini which spans all 4 days. Don't forget, there are prizes galore and a great raffle too!

To be matched with a particular opponent in Round one of the Main Tourney or for open gaming on Thursday, or the SK event, please contact us directly by email at Chnogueira@aol.com or through our group (preferred) yasl@yahoogroups.com. For SK match-ups to be pre-scheduled, please contact mhabrams@comcast.net. In all other instances, players will be matched as they arrive.

Location: Boxborough Regency (formerly the Holiday Inn of Boxborough)- 242 Adams Place, Boxborough MA 01719.

Simply inform them you are with the Yankee ASL Group and give the dates of the event.

Reservations (978) 263-8701
Call before 3/15/2018

Room Rates
Single or Double $100.00 per night
Triple $110.00 per night
Quad $120.00 per night

When calling to make reservations be SURE to ask for the Yankee ASL Event. Confirm the above prices with the person taking the reservations at the time of reservation to ensure correct pricing. Please contact Carl Nogueira at 774-328-8095 should any discrepancies result.

The hotel is just off exit 28 on Rte 495. Please contact Carl Nogueira at Chnogueira@aol.com to be matched up with locals who can assist with transport from Logan Airport to the tournament and back.

Tee-shirts:
When you register on-line you have the option of ordering a tee-shirt. An extra $23.00 will be added to your registration cost. Remember, the only way to order a tee-shirt is by pre-registering. Don't wait to pay at the door if you want a shirt with this year's fabulous graphic on it (http://www.yankeegamers.org/noreaster/2018/NorEaster_Graphic.png)

REGISTRATION INFORMATION:

You can pre-register for the lower price until March 15th, 2018 - after that you will have to pay the higher rate. You can also pay (the higher rate) at the door.

Registration costs are below and we have our usual excellent raffle and T-shirts on sale (see above). Additional details to follow as they become available.

Registration Type / Pre-registration Cost/ After 03/15/2018
Full Convention (2+ days) / $40 / $45
One Day / $20 / $25

You can signup at http://www.yankeegamers.org/noreaster/noreaster2018.php, or print out the flyer on that page, clip and mail the included registration form along with a check.

At this point we have released the scenario list for the main tournament. This is listed below with the ROAR record (in parentheses) as of Nov 2017. We will announce the scenario lists for the minis as soon as they are available.

Round #1: Friday Apr 6th, 2018 10:00am-4:00pm EDT

BFP 135 No Shortage Of Determination (German 6/Polish 5)
BOTH1 The Hardest Day (American 5/German 5)
DB133 A Deadly Landscape (Russian 1/German 1)
RPT128 Hubba Hubba One More Time (American 3/German 2)
WO18 A Quick Strike (American 17/Japanese 14)

Round #2: Friday Apr 6th, 2018 5:00pm EDT-Till you drop

AP103 That Damned Bridge (German 10/American 10)
BFP89 Relentless Pressure (German 22/Russian 21)
DB122 Prescription For the Kommissar (German 5/Russian 5)
J191 Rebels Without A Pause (Slovak 15/German 17)
SP255 Anatoly's Ambush (Russian 13/German 12)

Round #3: Saturday Apr 7th, 2018 9:00am-4:00pm EDT
CDN17 Heart Of Oak (German 2/Canadian 3)
DB108 Anchoring the Line (Russian 4/German 3)
OST3 Fortune Favors The Bold (German 4/Russian 5)
YASL7 Making A Break For It (British 7/German 7)
YASL10 Dropping Topside (American 2/Japanese 2)

Round #4: Saturday Apr 7th, 2018 5:00pm EDT -Until you drop
AP116 A Mook Point (American 23/German 26)
AP123 Busting In Balta (German 2/Russian 1)
FT144 Tigers Of Pantnag (Chinese 1/CCP (Partisan) 1
FT223 The Kings Of Bollersdorf (Russian 0/German 0)
WO21 Bolder Than Before (Russian 4/Ukrainian 3)

Round #5: Sunday Apr 8th, 2018 9:00am-6:00pm EDT
BFP30 Melee Near the Coast (Japanese 52/Chinese 54)
DB135 The Krinkelterwald (American 2/German 2)
FrF89 Red Tears Shed On Grey (Romanian 1/Russian 1)
J183 A Real Barn Burner (German 31/French 40)
J193 Raff's Rules (American 14/German 15)

Please come and check us out. You will have a great time. :)

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
I hope you get a few of those shy ASLSKers coming along to make that part of the tournament a success as well. Sorry i can't make it as I'm in the wrong part of the world.

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Hemaelstrom. We are working hard to attract more SK players to the Nor'easter. Every year we have a few more, which is great! Mitch Abrams has been great as the SK MC to help keep things fun and Patrick Ireland has been a big help too.

Right now it's open gaming but as attendance picks up we may add in a SK tournament too. Putting out feelers for 2019 right now. :)

If you're ever in our area in March/April you will have to drop by.

Thanks,
MikeS

MitchA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I saw the announcement of the Nor’Easter on this thread and thought I would write a few lines (actually I got on a roll so more than I originally thought) so people could get a better understanding of the event. First, the ASLSK portion is not a tournament. It is comprised of newer students of the game, those getting back into the game and want to do so gradually before moving to the ranks of full ASL (FASL) and those that are comfortable playing ASLSK for a variety of reasons without a need to play FASL.

I can speak of last year where we had newer players who felt comfortable playing infantry only scenarios as well as others who felt comfortable enough to play guns (ordinance) and even vehicles. As people come in, I discuss with them where they are at. I match people up to play pre-chosen scenarios given their comfort level and level of play. There are multiple pre-chosen scenarios from each of the Starter Kits. Players are not limited to the pre-chosen scenarios, however, I find it desirable for players to spend the most time playing. Therefore, I have already pulled the boards and counters for each of the scenarios. Setup time is aided by the players not having to sort out the counters: they’re already sorted.

Furthermore, I use other Starter Kit scenarios which players may not have seen from a variety of manufactures. Unlike the FASL tournament scenarios which are announced beforehand so participants have an opportunity to pre-play the scenarios, this is not the approach of the ASLSK portion of the Nor’Easter. The ASLSK portion is a learning experience so that each player can improve on their capabilities. Everything is geared to learning and getting better at the game, regardless of skill level.

I am there to help with any rules and Sequence of Play questions as well as scenario questions. I do not help with tactics or where to move counters. That is left to the players. This worked out quite well last year. Typically, the scenarios are shorter and confined to one board and by doing that more games can be played. It should be recognized that playing time, even on short scenarios, is generally lengthened because many of the players are new, or getting back into it. As long as both players want to continue the game and are having fun, play continues. Last year two players played one scenario (I believe it was 6 turns) for 9 hours. It went down to the wire and both players learned a lot and most importantly had fun. It was lengthy, far longer than I would have thought and I asked once or twice if the players wanted to continue. Both said yes so they did.

If players have ASLSK kit they can bring it and play with it. If they don’t, I have enough to go around. I only play if there is an odd number of players. I can answer questions whether I am playing or not but do not want to disrupt my opponent’s game by answering other’s questions. For that reason I generally don’t play much. Last year, one player had to leave earlier than expected and I played a scenario with emplaced guns. During each of these games I ask the player which side they feel more comfortable playing. Some will want to play with guns but only feel more comfortable if the other player has them. We can accommodate that so long as enough is learned so they feel more inclined to play with guns in an upcoming scenario.

I should mention that others are playing FASL in the same room. There’s great camaraderie between the two groups in as many have long years of experience. Many have also played ASLSK and when asked, they can provide answers to questions as well.

After each game the players discuss their thoughts and strategy as well as the tactics (think a small AAR). I am there to answer any questions and suggest ways to improve glaring errors. Then it’s on to the next game. No one gets to defend all the time and likewise no one always attacks. A variety of tactical experiences are chosen so players get as much of the full breath of possibilities within the game as can be handled within the confines of a weekend.

If something isn’t working we change it. The key is that all participants have fun!

I would encourage anyone who wants to have a fun, immersive ASLSK weekend but at a pace that is suited to them to sign up and come to the Nor’Easter. It’s a great learning experience, there are wonderful people to meet, there are laughs (really) and most importantly – it is fun.

If anyone has questions or concerns and would like to discuss this prior to the Nor’Easter “convention” please contact me at mhabrams52@gmail.com or bring it up on this forum and I will be happy to address those concerns.

Best,

Mitch
ASLSK Coordinator for the Nor'Easter

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the extra info Mitch. It really is a great time as I got to observe a lot last year. Please join us this year if you can!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK will be fun at Nor'easter this year. I look forward to seeing everyone!

Thanks
Joe

MitchA

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the the Yankee ASL Nor’Easter which will be held in Boxborough, MA from 5 through 8 April 2018. Lots of information, which can be found here: (http://asl.yankeegamers.org/) regarding the many different events and the scenarios give a good idea of this gathering.
But that is not why I am writing. It is to announce:

“In the interest of promoting ASL & ASLSK, the Yankee ASL leadership, sponsors of the Nor’Easter ASL Convention (the ASL Tournament / Nor’Easter Starter Group), has decided to offer Junior High and High School students the opportunity to participate in the Convention for a fee of $5. The $5 is a flat fee and can be used for the full event or just one day of the event. We believe this will allow students to participate without the financial burden and full cost of the convention.”

So, just to be clear, if you have a younger player who has not yet reached Junior High but wants to come and play, I will officially make them an honorary Junior High Student. I am sorry but my powers can only make students older (for the length of the convention)*, they do not make older students younger.

It should be noted * that upon return to school they must return to their current grade – no skipping grades on my part.

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For any dads (or moms!!) who may be considering bringing their youngster/teenager to this event know that my 12yo daughter has been playing ASLSK for a bit over a year now and this will be her 3rd tournament. :)