AREA : a small info

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello guys

I wish everybody in the Forum a happy 2018, full with good ASL games too.

This short message to let people know that if AREA has not been updated recently, I still intend to do an update and have kept all the info sent to me by the gracious TD from all over.

It's just that I became weary of the stuff but also decided to go back to studying while keeping my day-job and this leaves virtually no spare time.

Best Regards
-Bruno

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
it is not "small" at all.
Thank you for all the huge work you have done in these years . Hopefully you will find the way to let your work continue one way or another. It would be a crime waste it

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hello guys

This short message to let people know that if AREA has not been updated recently, I still intend to do an update and have kept all the info sent to me by the gracious TD from all over.

It's just that I became weary of the stuff but also decided to go back to studying while keeping my day-job and this leaves virtually no spare time.

Best Regards
-Bruno
I don't know how difficult it is to enter the data into ROAR - but is it feasible to ask for a volunteer to do the work ? Possibly the task could be shared among a group of people ?

Or maybe it would be a solution to collect some money and hire someone to do the work ?

nitro

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hi again

just to clarify my initial post : I have neglected the AREA site as of late for personal reasons but the data is not lost and the site will be updated in near future.

I will also try to team up with others so as to make sure that the thing keeps rolling.

And thanks to all that took time to send me positive stroke. Appreciated they were.

Best Regards,
-Bruno

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi again

just to clarify my initial post : I have neglected the AREA site as of late for personal reasons but the data is not lost and the site will be updated in near future.

I will also try to team up with others so as to make sure that the thing keeps rolling.

And thanks to all that took time to send me positive stroke. Appreciated they were.

Best Regards,
-Bruno
We need you man. Leave that personal stuff behind.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello guys

Best Regards
-Bruno
That's understandable Bruno. Good luck in your plans.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
since I was absent for a few months I'm here to ask if are there fresh news about AREA that seems dead from Summer 2017.
I have the files with the results of VASLeague 2018, i.e. 250+ games played that should be recorded . Have I to send to Bruno (or someone else) these data like I used until 2017? any chance these data will be used by someone to update the site?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
since I was absent for a few months I'm here to ask if are there fresh news about AREA that seems dead from Summer 2017.
I have the files with the results of VASLeague 2018, i.e. 250+ games played that should be recorded . Have I to send to Bruno (or someone else) these data like I used until 2017? any chance these data will be used by someone to update the site?
Bruno said today on Facebook is ready to pass all data he has to someone capable to update AREA.
"I am very busy with other stuff and, to tell the truth, sort of fed up with AREA...
The historical AREA, the AH one is a bit different and this is a fork. You ll find details on the web page.
Thz data -which belong to the community- is there and i can send the DB file if needed.
Cheers"

It could be the right moment for someone that has the time and strenght to continue his work to take the baton

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
AREA is a much simpler calculation from what I remember (the Tac Air issue of the AH General issue (vol 25 no.1 or 2 IIRC) explained AREA ratings in detail) compared to Chess ELO rating. What you have to ask is what clear and major benefits would changing to the ELO bring, particularly given that we have such a strong history of past events. The key is to make submitting results for TD/TOs as simple a process as possible and that the ratings host isn't overcommitted or overwhelmed. Right now there are a multitude of events both online and land-based that would be involved.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
AREA is a much simpler calculation from what I remember (the Tac Air issue of the AH General issue (vol 25 no.1 or 2 IIRC) explained AREA ratings in detail) compared to Chess ELO rating. What you have to ask is what clear and major benefits would changing to the ELO bring, particularly given that we have such a strong history of past events. The key is to make submitting results for TD/TOs as simple a process as possible and that the ratings host isn't overcommitted or overwhelmed. Right now there are a multitude of events both online and land-based that would be involved.
History would get migrated so it’s really just a matter of value X or Y. I’ll look up that issue to sate my curiosity, thanks!

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ideally you would use a version of FIDE ELO with a logistic regression and an appropriate K value, making allowance for the no draws nature of ASL

A little bit of work to setup but worth it

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The basic question is what is to come of AREA altogether.

It has been in hibernation now for a number of years. Not a good sign.

What probably would work to revive it is to provide TD's (only) with access to enter tournament games via a website. This would take considerable workload off Bruno (or whoever will run the thing). It could also eliminate some of the problems getting the (standardized) information required. Though I reckon with regard to names of the players, some manual scrutiny to avoid doubles etc. would still be required.

Yet, all a theoretical debate. Without the "masters" of AREA being involved or passing maintenance on to others, nothing will happen I guess.

von Marwitz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
The basic question is what is to come of AREA altogether.

It has been in hibernation now for a number of years. Not a good sign.

What probably would work to revive it is to provide TD's (only) with access to enter tournament games via a website. This would take considerable workload off Bruno (or whoever will run the thing). It could also eliminate some of the problems getting the (standardized) information required. Though I reckon with regard to names of the players, some manual scrutiny to avoid doubles etc. would still be required.

Yet, all a theoretical debate. Without the "masters" of AREA being involved or passing maintenance on to others, nothing will happen I guess.

von Marwitz

as I tried to say in my last post Bruno is actually ready to pass his huge database to someone serious and brave enough to take his place.
Hence I raised this post again.

It's true that the data are frozen to August 2017, but Bruno still has all results of all tournaments that have been played in 2017-2018, VASLeague included.
So it's technically possible continue AREA exactly from the point where it stopped two years ago with no harm or loss of data.

As others have said it is not that difficult insert data and calculate a rating using chess system and (thanks to Bruno) all data in years 2017-2018 are fully available at request.

The difficult point is to keep AREA decently updated for the future, inserting the new results at least twice in a year, that is where Bruno failed despite his best and valuable efforts.

So, in other words we need a true hero or a fanatic SMC (or perhaps a fanatic elite HS, but berserker status does not hurt) that not only make the needed major update but also continue to care AREA accepting the results of new tournaments sent from TDs worldwide and constantly keep on date the ratings as Bruno did for a long time.

is there anyone available?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
as I tried to say in my last post Bruno is actually ready to pass his huge database to someone serious and brave enough to take his place.
Hence I raised this post again.

It's true that the data are frozen to August 2017, but Bruno still has all results of all tournaments that have been played in 2017-2018, VASLeague included.
So it's technically possible continue AREA exactly from the point where it stopped two years ago with no harm or loss of data.

As others have said it is not that difficult insert data and calculate a rating using chess system and (thanks to Bruno) all data in years 2017-2018 are fully available at request.

The difficult point is to keep AREA decently updated for the future, inserting the new results at least twice in a year, that is where Bruno failed despite his best and valuable efforts.

So, in other words we need a true hero or a fanatic SMC (or perhaps a fanatic elite HS, but berserker status does not hurt) that not only make the needed major update but also continue to care AREA accepting the results of new tournaments sent from TDs worldwide and constantly keep on date the ratings as Bruno did for a long time.

is there anyone available?
Phew! Now I am understanding what you say: A reliable volunteer is needed...

AREA is truly a daunting task.

And it has been to the benefit of the whole ASL community for many years.

So just asking around addressed towards those who are in the know with regard to programming stuff:

Would there be anyone around capable and willing to program some interface/website that would allow TDs to directly enter AREA data of future tournaments?

Maybe if the "infrastructure" for keeping AREA up to date is improved and thus the workload for the person(s) in charge decreased for ongoing maintenance, this could embolden people to jump the cliff.

von Marwitz

Reactions: ecz

fredkors

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I think that the ideal solution would be a join between ROAR and AREA, an automatic system in which the calculation of the AREA coefficient takes place through the games registered by the players itself. In this manner the workload of the system administrator would be much much smaller than manually loading all the results of all the ASL tournaments in the world.