Ambush on South Knob: misunderstood or major mutt?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
According to this (https://ochsnerjournal.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/copyright-infringement-who-is-responsible-author-or-publisher/) the publisher frequently puts in the contract that the author certifies that the work does not violate anyone else's copyright. If the publisher is found to have violated copyright, the publisher can then (attempt to) recover damages from the author. Depending on your contract it could become Pete's problem if there an infringement were found.

JR
Well being as that is just about the only account of the battle available, there wasn't a whole lot I could do with it besides switch a few phrases around.

I will consider it an honor if Mr. Pitcavage is interested enough to take issue with it. :eek:

And if you think I'm bad -you should check out some of the Flames of War scenarios.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well being as that is just about the only account of the battle available, there wasn't a whole lot I could do with it besides switch a few phrases around.

I will consider it an honor if Mr. Pitcavage is interested enough to take issue with it. :eek:

And if you think I'm bad -you should check out some of the Flames of War scenarios.
You're good.

I would even forgive you something like "Elements of Army Group North" vs. "Elements of the Leningrad Front" compared with some other experts your great nation fields:

CNN Australia.jpg
We know that Australia is quite vicious vs. illegal immigrants. We didn't know it was that vicious...

CNN Switzerland.jpg
We also did not know that neutral Switzerland has apparently and secretly embarked on a policy of aggressive expansion...

CNN Eastern Ukraine.jpg
Nor that the Ukraine has conquered new 'Lebensraum im Osten' close to the Indian border (just to make sure, I am speaking about Indian Indians, not American Indians nor the West Indies.)...

Maybe, the US isn't really mad at Iran but at Saudi Arabia and simply confused their maps. As long as they don't confuse a map of the USA with that of North Korea, many Americans won't notice.

Bottom line:
You can learn more from the Historical Notes of ASL scenario cards than one might think... :D

von Marwitz

P.S. To be fair, the US seems not to be alone of getting things wrong. Viva Espana!

Spanish Fail.jpg

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh dear. Pitman went off the wall railing at Paul Kenney a few years ago about plagiarism in the introductions of scenario cards. Please say it isn't so, that Pete did not plagiarize wording from the US Army History of World War Two volume

:D :D
One of these d
You're good.

I would even forgive you something like "Elements of Army Group North" vs. "Elements of the Leningrad Front" compared with some other experts your great nation fields:

View attachment 3627
We know that Australia is quite vicious vs. illegal immigrants. We didn't know it was that vicious...
I can always blame the proofers!!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're good.

.../

Bottom line:
You can learn more from the Historical Notes of ASL scenario cards than one might think... :D

von Marwitz

P.S. To be fair, the US seems not to be alone of getting things wrong. Viva Espana!

View attachment 3631
This doesn't surprise me in the least. I guess they estimate that 40%+ of the population of the U.S. can't place Germany even on the right continent, let alone anywhere near its actual location; And 25%+ of the population have no idea where on a U.S. map their own State is located in relation to other bordering states! I've seen several interviews where people believe the City they live in is actually a State as well! Sad state of affairs to be sure!:confused:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Since Mark is such a huge pompous ass about his own opinions
It's funny you can detect it in others.

Mark Pitcavage took Paul Kenney to task in no uncertain, and blazingly uncouth language, both here on Gamesquad, on CWS, and in his DM website webpages,
What does any of that have to do with this thread?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Who the scenario designer is and who play tests and who controls final OB decisions/ changes from playtest are often very different people and unrelated."--Doug Kirk
Well said.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Who the scenario designer is and who play tests and who controls final OB decisions/ changes from playtest are often very different people and unrelated."--Doug Kirk
Well said.
The scenarios are my children. They are good children and I can coach and mold them up until they get to school age, so I send them off to MMPs boarding school and let headmaster Chas get them ready for the real world. Not always a pretty process, so I try and keep out of it at that point lest I let emotions guide my decisions.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Man, you guys are lucky, when I designed for AH, if your scenario was problematic Mac and Rex would kick it back to you to straighten your mess out. Nowadays, it just send them what you have and who cares if it is balanced or not, its the other guys problem now. I just can not operate that way, I gotta make sure what I send is as tight and fun as possible, hence my low design turn out over the years.

Bottom line, take pride in your work because others will play it and your designs are a reflection of how hard you worked on them.

The scenarios are my children. They are good children and I can coach and mold them up until they get to school age, so I send them off to MMPs boarding school and let headmaster Chas get them ready for the real world. Not always a pretty process, so I try and keep out of it at that point lest I let emotions guide my decisions.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Man, you guys are lucky, when I designed for AH, if your scenario was problematic Mac and Rex would kick it back to you to straighten your mess out. Nowadays, it just send them what you have and who cares if it is balanced or not, its the other guys problem now.
Anyone who has ever written for publication will tell you it is impossible to see the forest for the trees. Your posts on this forum are evidence enough that someone, somewhere would have had to edit your work, by necessity. Good publications edit everything they get. It's part of the process. If you were blind to it, don't blame Pete, Chas or anyone else. Trust us, your work was reviewed and edited as well.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the issue dude is not editing /proofing its actually playing your action several times to make sure when you send it out it is almost good to go. Playing your scenario once or twice is not the right way to go.

Anyone who has ever written for publication will tell you it is impossible to see the forest for the trees. Your posts on this forum are evidence enough that someone, somewhere would have had to edit your work, by necessity. Good publications edit everything they get. It's part of the process. If you were blind to it, don't blame Pete, Chas or anyone else. Trust us, your work was reviewed and edited as well.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Playing your scenario once or twice is not the right way to go.
What if it's right after one or two? I know of one scenario which was pretty much dead on, but there was a call for "more playtesting". There was another round, different group of people, they felt it needed balance added to one side. The designer relented, published with the added balance. Now, as it has played out over time, the balance in fact unbalanced the scenario.

Now I am not a scenario designer, but I have play tested a metric tonne of stuff over the years. IMO, what matters above all else, is a group of people who understand "balance", "replay-ability", and "fun". It also helps if they can also understand "luck" as it pertained to their playing/playings. Input from those people is invaluable. If you get the right input, you may not need 20 playings to get it correct. If you don't, you may never get it correct despite one hundred playings. JMO, YMMV. -- jim

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the issue dude is not editing /proofing its actually playing your action several times to make sure when you send it out it is almost good to go. Playing your scenario once or twice is not the right way to go.
I disagree Scott,. I play my scenario to see if the timing is right and if the SSRs work (not necessarily clear , as they are clear to me- but I already know what I have in mind. )

Trying to balance my own is usually a waste of time as I will play a scenario the way I think it should be played. I already know the story, so I will play to make the scenario fit that. I need others who do not know what is supposed to happen to tell me what actually *can* happen.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
What if it's right after one or two? I know of one scenario which was pretty much dead on, but there was a call for "more playtesting". There was another round, different group of people, they felt it needed balance added to one side. The designer relented, published with the added balance. Now, as it has played out over time, the balance in fact unbalanced the scenario.
Sat Sri Akal?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Now I am not a scenario designer, but I have play tested a metric tonne of stuff over the years. IMO, what matters above all else, is a group of people who understand "balance", "replay-ability", and "fun". It also helps if they can also understand "luck" as it pertained to their playing/playings. Input from those people is invaluable. If you get the right input, you may not need 20 playings to get it correct. If you don't, you may never get it correct despite one hundred playings. JMO, YMMV. -- jim
If good players playtest, they realize if one side has a higher 'learning curve' than the other-- whereas less experienced players may simply say that it is 'unbalanced'. Both are valuable, provided the designer/editor is aware of such context. Sometimes this influences the product which will finally feature the scenario (at least in my view)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think the quality of the player is a determining factor as much as the experience of the player, especially experience playtesting.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Exactly, quality always prevails over quantity.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With Knob, perhaps using a different board then the current one may have been a better choice.
Well it was intended to be part of the Action Pack that featured a new hill board, with minimal urban features. If anything, given the way that everything was blasted by artillery by the time of the scenario, MORE bamboo would have been appropriate to represent ' jungle debris'

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it was intended to be part of the Action Pack that featured a new hill board, with minimal urban features. If anything, given the way that everything was blasted by artillery by the time of the scenario, MORE bamboo would have been appropriate to represent ' jungle debris'
Didn't KR introduce Jungle Debris? I seem to remember is was easier to move through than Bamboo.