I think someone ought to design some monster ASLSK scenarios.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Classic SL has them, ASL has them, but I do believe that ASLSK does not have any monster scenarios?

It would be quite a novelty.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
It’s called Elst! SK is more for learning ASL so unlikely SK players would be interested in tackling something like this out of the gate. I know there is a belief that SK is its own player group but I have not found that to be the case. As an aside, I have submitted a rather large SK scenario to MMP.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
One has to take into account, that the pure SK Kits only have a limited amount of counters, especially for the non-Germans. This might limit the options to create purely SK-based monster scenarios.

von Marwitz

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As SK is more and more becoming a destination, rather than a stepping stone to ASL, who knows what we'll see in the future. With things like PTO SK looming, it seems that nothing is off the table for SK (though, I agree that currently, the lack of counters that come with SK is a real hurdle).

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
SK players who are paired with veteran players will have no problem with counter availability, and so far anything required by a SK offering has been included in the product itself.
Assuming the SK players have bought the previous modules, enough suitable counters should be available.

I suspect the percentage of SK players who are learning solely by themselves is lower than those with access to a more experienced player who owns at least a reasonable library of ASL gear.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
SK players who are paired with veteran players will have no problem with counter availability...
That may be true, however, SK players will probably have a problem finding veteran players willing to play monster SK scenarios.

Most of the time veteran players play SK to teach new players or to get them into ASL rather than to play explicitly SK, which would have to be assumed if engaging in monster SK-scenarios.

von Marwitz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Counter availabilty should not prevent Designers from creating a monster scenario if they are so inclined. After all many games have scenarios/variations that can be only played using two or more sets of counters/maps. Panzerleader/Panzerblitz and Magic Realm come in mind.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
To me the next step from monster scenario, or larger linked scenarios, etc. is the full campaign game.
I'd be up for anything leading to playing a campaign game.
To me that's the essence of ASL, of any game really, the campaign.
I have a SASL campaign on the go, and when my daughter and her boyfriend get their apartment and move out again, I have a fold up table ready for setting up a CG.
Whether solo, Elst or Red October, it's going to happen.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK is that. Or beer and pretzels ASL. I think a few quite involving monster SK scenarios would give a greater flavour of the full ASL game.
You know Jan, if you want to see someone do something that has not been done, the next logical step is to do it yourself. Not being a smartass, just pointing out that is how I have always done things in the hobby, and it works.

What a shame no one does specialty leagues in VASl. Hmmm, what's to prevent me then? Not a thing. Applies to a lot of things I have tried in the hobby. If you lament the absence of it, chances are other people do too. Be the first to make a move to rectify it. No special qualifications needed. You will make mistakes as you start out, everyone does when trying out new ventures.

I believe the end result will be satisfying to you though and doubtless, to others. The ASL community is very giving when it comes to supporting such efforts with playtesting, proofing and recommendations. Go for it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Classic SL has them, ASL has them, but I do believe that ASLSK does not have any monster scenarios?

It would be quite a novelty.
I had a contest a few years ago where the object was to create an ASLSK scenario with four mapboards laid end to end, in the same fashion as SL11 and SL12. The results are posted at BGG and here in the files section, I think, as well as my own site at:

https://www.tacticalwargamer.com/contests/2005aslsk.htm

I think this may be the closest anyone has come yet to "monster" scenarios. Counter-mix was heavy and large board surface, but the turn limits were still reasonable - so nothing like the Scheldt Estuary one, The Last Bid, etc.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Clash at Borisov was a fun scenario back in the day. I remember it took quite a while before we had enough time to play it, I believe it was played over a weekend and we didn't actually finish, but could at least call who would be the winner.
10 turns is a long game!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One has to take into account, that the pure SK Kits only have a limited amount of counters, especially for the non-Germans. This might limit the options to create purely SK-based monster scenarios.

von Marwitz
Von Marwitz has really pegged the reason "large" ASLSK scenarios have not been made in any numbers. This has frustrated my attempts to make some, although I have some in the works. The counter and map limits really force a designer to work here and sometimes it does not. Often I have turned these large ASLSK scenarios into ASL scenarios.

With the above said, I hope that more large ASL and ASLSK scenarios are designed and published. I will continue to design them.

Thanks
Joe

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
You know Jan, if you want to see someone do something that has not been done, the next logical step is to do it yourself. Not being a smartass, just pointing out that is how I have always done things in the hobby, and it works.

What a shame no one does specialty leagues in VASl. Hmmm, what's to prevent me then? Not a thing. Applies to a lot of things I have tried in the hobby. If you lament the absence of it, chances are other people do too. Be the first to make a move to rectify it. No special qualifications needed. You will make mistakes as you start out, everyone does when trying out new ventures.

I believe the end result will be satisfying to you though and doubtless, to others. The ASL community is very giving when it comes to supporting such efforts with playtesting, proofing and recommendations. Go for it.
I do agree Carl. However in this case the issue is complicated. I am not all that familiar with the Starter Kits and so am not that qualified to design a scenario for them. Also any free ASL time that I have is directed into other channels - such as designing CGs. Therefore I submit the proposal to design monster ASLSK scenarios to the wider audience and hope it sparks some interest. As it turns out there are already players onto the matter.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree Carl. However in this case the issue is complicated. I am not all that familiar with the Starter Kits and so am not that qualified to design a scenario for them. Also any free ASL time that I have is directed into other channels - such as designing CGs. Therefore I submit the proposal to design monster ASLSK scenarios to the wider audience and hope it sparks some interest. As it turns out there are already players onto the matter.
Well, good to hear that. If you have any time at all to devote to it though, you should try. Amount of time available is a very funny thing. It can fluctuate wildly with other events in your life. I just went from 5 months of tons of time to no time at all but the weekends and then not much. You do a little now and when time opens up down the road, you are that much farther along.