In progress...

Laminated cover will increase its price, from 25 to 30 euros

• Go big or go home!

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • No need to laminate the cover.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Other choice / ideas, please specify but keep it simple.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I grapple with other projects (BFP and MMP) I have Amiens in the beginning sages of a CG. There was work on it earlier but now I need to get more research on it before I proceed. Getting this map in VASL form will be a bonus. Now I have to reload VASL (new computer purchase requires a total reinstall of VASL) and then I can get started with the VASL stuff.
Funny, my bucket list contains mostly ASL stuff to do...

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would consider VASL for precisely this reason. Unlimited opponents around the globe and since all publishers have their playtest material VASLized, you can participate in playtests and have a direct impact on the hobby you love. IM me if you want to check it out further. Be happy to get you set up.
Carl, thank you for the offer. I installed VASL a while back and just didn't enjoy it when I played around a bit. The inability to take in the whole board in a single view makes it very tough for me to play the game at all well (hard to believe, but I can play even worse than I do face-to-face). Maybe as I get more experience as a player this won't be such an issue (like a chess player who no longer needs a board to play).

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Carl, thank you for the offer. I installed VASL a while back and just didn't enjoy it when I played around a bit. The inability to take in the whole board in a single view makes it very tough for me to play the game at all well (hard to believe, but I can play even worse than I do face-to-face). Maybe as I get more experience as a player this won't be such an issue (like a chess player who no longer needs a board to play).
I was originally in a similar situation to you: rather reluctant to play on VASL, and not seeing the whole map bothered me. The second point can be somehow mitigated by playing mostly small scenarios; depending on your screen size, a half mapboard could display comfortably, and most of a full mapboard can be visible on my screen (though I'd need to move the "controls" window aside to my second monitor for this). But after a year or so of playing mostly VASL, I can tell you it's stopped bothering me, and the advantages of VASL play (like, being able to suspend play at almost any time, and not having to take care not to disturb the board) are really a huge plus - not to mention the fact that finding FtF opponents can be difficult for some.

But then, I haven't tried playing a RB CG on VASL. Maybe I should first convince my wife that I need a much larger screen for this...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was originally in a similar situation to you: rather reluctant to play on VASL, and not seeing the whole map bothered me. The second point can be somehow mitigated by playing mostly small scenarios; depending on your screen size, a half mapboard could display comfortably, and most of a full mapboard can be visible on my screen (though I'd need to move the "controls" window aside to my second monitor for this). But after a year or so of playing mostly VASL, I can tell you it's stopped bothering me, and the advantages of VASL play (like, being able to suspend play at almost any time, and not having to take care not to disturb the board) are really a huge plus - not to mention the fact that finding FtF opponents can be difficult for some.

But then, I haven't tried playing a RB CG on VASL. Maybe I should first convince my wife that I need a much larger screen for this...
Hi guys. What I found is, that when you become comfortable with the different zoom settings, your focus on the game, never really lets you forget what is where, at least in general terms. You may not be able to say that the T34/85 is down there in hex G15 on the Fort boards, but you will remember he is down there someplace. I think fighting the interface, until you are adept at it, may be a bigger part of the distraction. I know that can be frustrating until you learn the system. Also, like Philippe says, until you get comfortable, don't try a CG. Although I just concluded the KOTH CG on VASL and had a blast doing it. :)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am very tempted to purchase a second, wide screen for my computer.
My actual screen is rather small and playing scenarios with more than two boards is a pain, especially with the counter and system "trays" on the same screen.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My actual screen is rather small and playing scenarios with more than two boards is a pain, especially with the counter and system "trays" on the same screen.
As a stop-gap solution, you could try using your laptop as the second screen (if you use one).

von Marwitz

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin, are you aware that you can separate those screens off so they all float independent of each other? If not, all you need do is go into the file dropdown of the Control Window. Select preferences and then make sure you are on the General tab. Then uncheck the box marked Use Combined Windows Application. Then restart VASL. Your Control, Map, Server and all other windows, will then be independent of each other and you can keep what you are not using minimized on your toolbar.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
FWIW, width isn't the answer, might actually be harmful due to the shape of ASL boards. I have a 35" ultrawide and a 24" wide on my PC (gaming rig). I'm regularly annoyed by the shape so for VASL I'm actually going to add a third "monitor" in the form of a cheap 40-50" TV. Gross real estate is the answer for VASL since resolution and refresh rate aren't that important.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume the resolution is a good point to consider. A 27" monitor at 1080p probably isn't that much better than a 15" laptop screen at the same resolution for 'seeing the board', but a 4K (or for less money, a 1440p) 27" screen would probably be a noticeable improvement.

My current thought is that a cheap 32" or 35" 4K monitor (i.e. no bells and whistles) for VASL is probably quite nice. Pair it with a second screen (read laptop?) for the counters, chat and maybe scenario card. VASL monitor would also have a stand where you could rotate to portrait if needed by the scenario in question. Virtual desktops mitigate the need for a second monitor if you don't have the desk space, but not if you want to drop and drag between montiors.

Note: Currently playing on a 27" 1440p and it is fine for 2 maps seeing everything. Playing "Paths of Glory" with the large map there shows my limitations and is the primary reason driving me to consider upgrading my monitor. Well, that and Father Time's work on my eyes.

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Note: Currently playing on a 27" 1440p and it is fine for 2 maps seeing everything. Playing "Paths of Glory" with the large map there shows my limitations and is the primary reason driving me to consider upgrading my monitor. Well, that and Father Time's work on my eyes.

Getting ready to go the 32" monitor myself. And I second the comment about Father Time. Top it off with being nearsighted to the tune of -10.5 and it's really bad.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks for the remarks and the tips !