Ambush on South Knob: misunderstood or major mutt?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As pete shelling would say when you play one of his designs, "you gotta bring your A game" which I always thought of as a cop out excuse for poor playtesting or just plain bad design concept.

I will certainly play it again despite my stupid loss with the Japanese. Time is a factor due to the bamboo which prompted some Q&A on advance into difficult terrain. The Americans with a morale of six is pathetic and they are easily broken with little rally terrain and what there is forces you to retreat off the hill.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny thing is, if this had been a CH or Paul Kinney scenario, people would be screaming for blood and saying you suck as a scenario designer, but it is Pete and it is published by MMP so they get the customary free pass.
You suck as a commenter on Game Squad

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One thing that Japanese should try to do is drive at the Americans from different directions. If they can get into both sides and/or the rear, potentially encircling and disrupting rally, the Americans are going to dissolve like a sugar cube. A couple of Banzais by the first group can break through to the rear, and there are at least three approaches to the hilltop from the south. The Japanese may need to sacrifice a unit or two to prevent the Americans from getting across the hill to the pillbox until all his other forces coming from different directions can get in position because of the cost of moving through bamboo. On the other hand, a two up one shot against a 6-6-6 is a scary shot, so even a minimal sacrifice may be able to keep the Americans properly heads-down in the bottom of their shellholes.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
You suck as a commenter on Game Squad
To give him justice, he has good days and bad ones that are easily distinguishable from each other.

von Marwitz
A few days ago I was catching up on threads and I started to read the last one displayed (without the poster's name visible) and I immediately said that has to be Gunner Scott. A turn of my mouse wheel and indeed it was. He definitely has his own "style". If you see a dense detailed 400 line post, then if you guessed me, you are more likely to be correct. An Olympian pronouncement is likely to be from Pitman.

The problem is that what useful information or constructive criticism will often be overlooked by the reader's reaction to the poster's usual style.
Scott: Bitter old man, doesn't he like anything?
Me: That's interesting, must read th.... Zzzzzzzz!
Pitman: Who the fück does he think he is, the Pope or the Ayatollah?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That is what bothered me about the setup - all the US are on the northeast side of the knob.
Enjoy, Joshua
Maybe the intro text was meant to say: "and advanced west up the slope of South Knob" - instead of "and advanced up the west slope of South Knob"?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Paul,....... Paul......

There is no umlaut in "fuck"

Didn't you read Von Marwitz's treatise on Schloß Hemingstein and the misuse auf Deutsch? Das ist das Problem!!!
Just a convenient way of getting around naughty word filters. In the previous GS software "crap" was allowed but "fuck" was not. If in this post you see 'but "fuck" was' as 'but "****" was' then the same rules apply. Anyway, I was not using the German language but Foul language, there are no rules in Foul.

EDIT: After looking at what this turned out after posting, the naughty word filter don't appear to apply in this version of the GS software.

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Maybe the intro text was meant to say: "and advanced west up the slope of South Knob" - instead of "and advanced up the west slope of South Knob"?
The text is perhaps based on the US Army official history, https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Rabaul/USA-P-Rabaul-17.html, which uses a nearly identical wording. Based on that history and the history at these sites, http://www.182ndinfantry.org/bougainville-the-battle-for-hill-260-1944/ & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_counterattack#Attack_on_the_southern_perimeter_around_Hill_260, it's still hard to get an exact picture of what unit was where and when.

JR

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Just a convenient way of getting around naughty word filters.
Purposeful attempts to circumvent rules is a ban-able offense (offence for you lot). Jazz is more harsh than I. Pray he doesn't find out. -- jim

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Purposeful attempts to circumvent rules is a ban-able offense (offence for you lot). Jazz is more harsh than I. Pray he doesn't find out. -- jim
When, under the old GS software, I used "cräp" instead of "crap" it was Jazz himself that pointed out that "crap" was not on the list, so I don't think Jazz thought very much of naughty word lists, per se. Anyway "fuck" has lost much of the odium that it had when I was in my late youth. In the right context, like in very personal attacks, he might have used it as a banning excuse. There appears to be no naughty list now.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I always thought that those of us who used an oilfield field mouth at HP should have been a diversity category....alas, it wuz not to be.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There appears to be no naughty list now.
Is a purposeful attempt to circumvent a rule that turns out not to exist, still ban-able? It might be - there is intent, and there is action taken based on the intent.

You guys all pray I never become in charge of moderation here :)