Banzai!! 22.2 Is Now Available

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The newsletter of Texas ASL, Banzai!! 22.2 is now available for free download! We have a jam packed issue of Banzai!! for you. This issue takes a look at how one approaches playing a scenario, both in general terms though a fine article by Tom Kearney, and through practical application. To that end we are pleased to take you on a trip down memory lane by bringing back the old Crossfire approach to scenario analysis with a review of a classic scenario courtesy of the great folks up in the Chicago area. While the Crossfire articles from the old ASL Annual magazines were insightful, not only have our authors generated a fantastic review worthy of those original endeavors, but Robert and Rich have taken the original concept and made it a step better. Whether you're brand new to ASL or an old grognard, we recommend you dig out the boards and follow along with Rich and Robert as they run though their thoughts on their respective tactics and reasoning to the scenario, and then enjoy the blow-by-blow of the aftermath. We profile local player, Matt Evans, and I do a debrief of the results of the 25th Annual Texas Team Tournament. All that and more awaits you in the upcoming pages of Banzai!! We hope you'll enjoy it.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I played this scenario before as the Gerrmans and so I really enjoy the analysis up front. Analysis without execution is of course not as credible, so I quite enjoy this analysis+AAR presentation.

I struggled between sending my Germans forward vs putting them at the back to sit and shoot across the open fields, but I couldn't sit comfortable with letting the Russian run free across most of the map. I did however adopted a reverse slope approach but backing off across the open space (scootin' after shootin') was obviously an issue.

I like Rich's idea of abandoning the hts and carrying off the LMGs, a move that I saw an opponent did in ITR1 Debacle at Sungkiang quite successfully as well.

One thought though : first I know very very well how much work it takes to do such an analysis and AAR .. however, it will help the reader greatly when if hex locations are mentioned, that they are noted on the graphics as well.

Love it. I would ask for more but again, I know how much work this is. Good for folks like me to see how the grown ups play!!

Rgds Jack

https://hongkongwargamer.com/2014/05/04/a44-blocking-action-at-lipki-aar/

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I played this scenario before as the Gerrmans and so I really enjoy the analysis up front. Analysis without execution is of course not as credible, so I quite enjoy this analysis+AAR presentation.

I struggled between sending my Germans forward vs putting them at the back to sit and shoot across the open fields, but I couldn't sit comfortable with letting the Russian run free across most of the map. I did however adopted a reverse slope approach but backing off across the open space (scootin' after shootin') was obviously an issue.

I like Rich's idea of abandoning the hts and carrying off the LMGs, a move that I saw an opponent did in ITR1 Debacle at Sungkiang quite successfully as well.

One thought though : first I know very very well how much work it takes to do such an analysis and AAR .. however, it will help the reader greatly when if hex locations are mentioned, that they are noted on the graphics as well.

Love it. I would ask for more but again, I know how much work this is. Good for folks like me to see how the grown ups play!!

Rgds Jack

https://hongkongwargamer.com/2014/05/04/a44-blocking-action-at-lipki-aar/
I have read the article twice. I really enjoy the look into someone else's thinking. I like to see why it is they did or did not do something. That's what I find appealing about it. Everyone can read the ASLRB. Everyone can read scenario cards. What's hard to do is "see" the battle. Listening to someone's thought's about that is what I find intriguing.

I once got early access to a scenario card from MMP. My intent was to write an article for the Journal on the way players think. I passed the scenario out to 10 of the best ASL players based on ASLOK and tournament finishes. I also passed it out to "mid-level" players based on the same criteria. I was looking to see if there were any insights into the differences. Alas, the thinking was all over the board with each person seeing different things. There was no real pattern (except for JR Tracy who had math on his :) ). The article fizzled as there was nothing there. These replay reviews are the closest you can get to something like that. The more perspectives you can get on playing, the better player you will be.

Anyone else have any ideas? I am considering approaching Rick about doing another for a future Banzai! -- jim

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So to Jim's question, what say folks? Yeah, I'm trying to twist his arm so he'll write an article for Banzai!!, so I have ulterior motives. But given the amount of effort involved in one of these, is this something that folks would like to see more of in Banzai!!?

Rick

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So to Jim's question, what say folks? Yeah, I'm trying to twist his arm so he'll write an article for Banzai!!, so I have ulterior motives. But given the amount of effort involved in one of these, is this something that folks would like to see more of in Banzai!!?

Rick
I have someone willing to do it with me too :) We even have an idea or two about scenarios to try it with. -- jim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Rick
I know I am .. especially from Jim. Learning the rules is one thing - tough work but the rules are there in plain sight. Learning how a sophisticated player use these rules and what his perspective is - that's invaluable.

Rgds Jack

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I know I am .. especially from Jim. Learning the rules is one thing - tough work but the rules are there in plain sight. Learning how a sophisticated player use these rules and what his perspective is - that's invaluable.

Rgds Jack
So the player whom is interesting in doing it with me has a better grasp of rules and application than I do. I am also approaching a third party to "independent" commentary as well. It may never see the light of day, but I have a plan :) -- jim

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Bookmarked this line to riff on this idea there was a moment to focus. As today is a sick day the moment has arrived.

In some cases, particularly on defense, a manned and armed halftrack may be less that the sum of its parts. Here's a quick list of opportunities and benefits:
  • Weapons mounted on an AFV are lost forever if the AFV is wrecked; they will likely survive fire attacks that break or eliminate possessing infantry, and may be re-employed once recovered or when the possessing unit rallies
  • Said weapons are often more powerful (both FP and ROF) on the ground than mounted on a vehicle (especially note 12.7mm/.50 cal)
  • The abandoned vehicle will slow enemy movement if left on a road, and provide TEM/hindrance to cover a fall-back defense; leave them on woods-road hexes, or in a road hex between two hexes that require more MP/MF to traverse, like buildings, woods and walls, or even hedges and brush
  • As complement to the above, consider employing the abandoned vehicle/wreck in coordination with other fortifications like mines or hidden wire to increase difficulty; if the vehicle/wreck encourages enemy movement on a different, easier route, be certain to provide for unexpected coverage of that route (bore sighting or mines are fabulous here)
  • Attack the abandoned vehicle to create a wreck so as to deny its use by the enemy; this is also an opportunity to burn the wreck, creating even greater cover and the possibility of blaze spread to further confound enemy LOS/movement
  • Vehicular crews are a godsend when the defense is short of infantry, doubly so when there are a dearth of leaders - it is an easy choice to have them man heavy weapons that provide covering fire for the infantry on the MLR
  • When the VC are building control, or otherwise require the presence of MMC, and when not expressly prohibited by SSR, voluntary abandonment of vehicles must always be in the front of players' minds
When may abandoning a halftrack be a bad idea? When they're the most powerful AFV on the board (and you have intel on the enemy's anti-armor assets), when there are opportunities to encircle and deny rout, when there's a need to swiftly move up reserves or shift forces to a more advantageous position, or if there's a hole in the defense that will permit the 'tracks to speedily exit VP with minimal exposure to small arms fire. Plenty of uses for these battlefield taxis provided they are employed with prudence.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Good post.

Usually, though, scenario designers have in mind that ht's can be Abandoned and which SW this could potentially be put in the hands of infantry. Because of this, SSR often either safeguard against the unbalancing effects this might have or, maybe even more commonly, time restraints to get the stuff off, assemble it and haul it into position before the action has moved on.

Still, Abandoning ht's for just the purpose of getting at their weaponry (often enhancing it thereby) and/or Vehicular Crew is something to be considered of a player by standard.

von Marwitz

Last edited: