Help Using Extensions

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Folks.

I'm having trouble getting the cloaking display extension for an ongoing Valor of the Guards campaign game to work. I expect I've missed a step somewhere and hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I download the extension from the VASL 6.x extensions, and then extract the downloaded zip file to my extensions folder, which folder I have designated for the extensions in the preferences VASL tab. But from there, nothing happens. I've also tried to use the "Add Extension" tool from the module manager window but I am unable to select anything that relates to the cloaking display stuff that I extracted from the zip. I've had the same problem with some other extensions that extract a bunch of stuff, like the OBA flowchart.

What I am doing wrong or missing?

Many thanks.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
From http://vasl.info/extensions.htm you should have downloaded a .vmdx file. Do not unzip this file. In VASSAL right-click on the vasl module, add extension..., select the .vmdx file. Open vasl. A new button should appear in your toolbar.

JR

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR. What happened was the download gave me a plain zip folder. I renamed the downloaded file to add ".vmdx" at the end, and that appears to have done the trick. Thanks again for the quick reply; much appreciated!

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
From http://vasl.info/extensions.htm you should have downloaded a .vmdx file. Do not unzip this file. In VASSAL right-click on the vasl module, add extension..., select the .vmdx file. Open vasl. A new button should appear in your toolbar.

JR
I've never done this, but my extensions work. I do not have the Cloaking extension, however. Does the Cloaking extension have a different installation procedure?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks JR. What happened was the download gave me a plain zip folder. I renamed the downloaded file to add ".vmdx" at the end, and that appears to have done the trick. Thanks again for the quick reply; much appreciated!
I don't know how you got a .zip file. What was the URL you downloaded the file from?

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I've never done this, but my extensions work. I do not have the Cloaking extension, however. Does the Cloaking extension have a different installation procedure?
What have you done? As far as I know this is what you have to do to install an extension in vasl.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The old(?) way to install extensions (but slightly easier depending on your workflow) is to have a folder matching the module name plus _ext and it will load extensions from there.

Since I share my VASSAL+VASL on Dropbox with my brother, we find it easier to stay in sync this way.

Perhaps that's how you have it setup?

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 9.46.31 AM.png

(edit) Looking over the docs, it looks like Add Extension should just automate that process. Maybe the old way was using the Extensions tab in the Preferences to set a directory? Too many ways to skin the cat.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What have you done? As far as I know this is what you have to do to install an extension in vasl.

JR
I spoke in error without checking my files first. I thought there were zip and mdx files in that directory, implying that I had download zip files, but I was mistaken. Sorry.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I spoke in error without checking my files first. I thought there were zip and mdx files in that directory, implying that I had download zip files, but I was mistaken. Sorry.
I was concerned that you might have been downloading the extension from an old site. Every so often some one finds one of the older maps and downloads that.

I think that you can also just drop the .mdx in the extensions directory, and that is what the code really does in when you choose "add an extension..." Vassal then runs any .mdx files it finds in the extensions directory, I believe. It seems somewhat easier to use the vassal mechanism, especially for those less familiar with computers, so when I give directions I use those. As long as you are happy in the end, it's all good.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm downloading the extensions from http://vasl.info/extensions.htm on Windows 10 using Edge. The file arrives in my download folder as a compressed zipped folder.
Huh. Downloading in Windows 10 using Edge renames the file from cloaking-display.vmdx to cloaking-display.zip. The b*****s. You can add the .vmdx on the end, but I would rename it back to cloaking-display.vmdx. I thought it might be wrapping the file in an extra layer of .zip, but it isn't. It recognizes that the file is really a .zip file and renames it. Good that it recognizes it; bad that it renames it. Apparently IE and Edge are both doing this now: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-msedge/edge-changes-file-type-when-downloading-from/71eb46c6-d9b7-4788-909e-3531cc672c50

JR

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's what the download looks like on my machine:

upload_2017-6-9_20-23-58.png

I don't have a .zip extension in the name (or at least I don't see where it is), but no .vmdx either. So far, adding the .vmdx to the name and selecting with the add extension tool has things working. Now, my VotG DC toting assault engineers on the other hand .... :dontknow

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Here's what the download looks like on my machine:

View attachment 1984

I don't have a .zip extension in the name (or at least I don't see where it is), but no .vmdx either. So far, adding the .vmdx to the name and selecting with the add extension tool has things working. Now, my VotG DC toting assault engineers on the other hand .... :dontknow
You have "hide extensions for known file types" turned on. The thing there labeled "cloaking-display" is really named "cloaking-display.zip". Windows is hiding the extension. You need to turn this behavior off so you can rename it. If you google it, you will find the how-to out there. This is one: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/show-file-extensions-in-windows. I have not verified it works, but it looks plausible.

JR

radsty

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, that's right; the .zip was definitely in there! I used the search feature in the Windows settings box and it took me right to spot where I could switch off the "hide extensions" feature. I've gone back and cleaned up my extensions to remove the .zip. Thanks again for the help.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Yup, that's right; the .zip was definitely in there! I used the search feature in the Windows settings box and it took me right to spot where I could switch off the "hide extensions" feature. I've gone back and cleaned up my extensions to remove the .zip. Thanks again for the help.
I've just tried this, and I STILL can't get .vmdx extensions to show on my VASL. This is after I performed a "restart" to refresh my 'puter. I still see that I should be able to see any hidden files, but I still can't get VASL to recognize a .vmdx extension.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've just tried this, and I STILL can't get .vmdx extensions to show on my VASL. This is after I performed a "restart" to refresh my 'puter. I still see that I should be able to see any hidden files, but I still can't get VASL to recognize a .vmdx extension.
Have you placed the extension in your extensions folder? Are your preferences pointing to the correct folder? I am not sure what you mean when you say you "can't get VASL to recognize". Do you mean VASL will not use the extension even when everything else is correct?

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Hi, Michael,
My problem has to do with downloading the .vmdx files from VASL.Info (can do) and then deleting the hidden ".zip" portion of the file. Apparently VASL won't let me erase the ".zip" portion of the .vmdx files. I have "Show hidden files" enable, and I can see the ".zip" part, but when I try to erase it, it won't let me. When I try to rename the .vmdx.zip file, it displays as a file, with a folder.

BigAl737 has been working with me on this, and I've held off on bugging him until he finishes the new VASLOverlays version 3.0. Meanwhile, I have at least six more extensions that I would love to get my hands on.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There should not be a .zip extension in addition to the .vdmx one.
Your problem seems quite unique and quite strange.
I hope that you will solve it.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi, Michael,
My problem has to do with downloading the .vmdx files from VASL.Info (can do) and then deleting the hidden ".zip" portion of the file. Apparently VASL won't let me erase the ".zip" portion of the .vmdx files. I have "Show hidden files" enable, and I can see the ".zip" part, but when I try to erase it, it won't let me. When I try to rename the .vmdx.zip file, it displays as a file, with a folder.

BigAl737 has been working with me on this, and I've held off on bugging him until he finishes the new VASLOverlays version 3.0. Meanwhile, I have at least six more extensions that I would love to get my hands on.
"Show hidden files" in windows is not the same thing as turning off "Hide file extensions for known file types". Do the latter, not the former. The way to do it is different for each version of windows. Google your version.

JR

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
"Show hidden files" in windows is not the same thing as turning off "Hide file extensions for known file types". Do the latter, not the former. The way to do it is different for each version of windows. Google your version.

JR
Hmmm....:study:

Oh....
My.....:hellyes:

I loaded oba-flowcharts.vmdx a couple of hours ago, renamed it by erasing the .zip in the file and pasted it into every one of my extensive collection of extensions folders, in every one of my thumb drives:captainobvious:.

Unless I have a serious brain cramp in the coming days, the training wheels have come off my VASL stuff, and left to rust away on that back shelf in my garage.
I intend to beaver around the VASL.Info site and grab all the extensions I want, and install them all on thumb drives, and my newly-created Dropbox account (something else I acquired during this adventure).

:captainobvious:

Last edited: