ASL on facebook

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I read in another thread about an ASL group on facebook. I do not use facebook and had intended never to do so. Is it worth the hassle to be able to access another group of players? Is it possible to be a facebook user and see nothing except an ASL group?
Opinions please.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
<shrug> 6 of one.....

Different group of folks with appreciable overlap between these Forums and the 2 ASL pages on FB.

Seems that there are more newer players there?

A fair number of the folks there have been turned off by the perceived contentious and abusive nature of some conversations around here.

A lot of rules questions and philosophical topics that are history here are re-hashed on FB. Somebody just raised the IFT/IIFT thing over there. Discussion seemed a bit more restrained and generally good-natured? The owners/moderators of those groups are a bit more restrictive then moderation here.....which has its good and not-so-good aspects.

Probably worth keeping up with those groups for a few weeks to see how things play over there.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The ASL FB groups have a lot more photos and AARs. There is a lot of stuff on those groups you don't see here. I think they are worth joining FB for. You can always have a FB account that you only use for the ASL groups. There are other groups of interest too; like AD&D, D&D5E etc.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A fair number of the folks there have been turned off by the perceived contentious and abusive nature of some conversations around here.

A lot of rules questions and philosophical topics that are history here are re-hashed on FB. Somebody just raised the IFT/IIFT thing over there. Discussion seemed a bit more restrained and generally good-natured? The owners/moderators of those groups are a bit more restrictive then moderation here.....which has its good and not-so-good aspects.
If that is the reason for people to drift off to facebook, then it might be worth reconsidering the moderation rules over here. But I do not own this forum, so this is not for me to decide. Just sayin'...

von Marwitz

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Much easier to post pictures there than here but threads are more fast moving and dissappear very quickly. It's no use for an in depth rules discussion but fast to get a ruling if you need one.
Create an anodyne facebook profile to use and leave it there. Given how govewrnments want to know your social media, it is good to give them something to look at while ranting here!:)

Oh yes, the emojis are better on FB!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
If that is the reason for people to drift off to facebook, then it might be worth reconsidering the moderation rules over here. But I do not own this forum, so this is not for me to decide. Just sayin'...

von Marwitz
The moderation policy is not my call to make. Management has made it, and I happen to agree with it...."let the lads play".

Frankly, the depth to which conversation has plunged around here in the past defies moderation that is not being paid......

That being said, it had not been all that very bad lately. A number of the prominent lighting rods have stopped showing up.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
That being said, it had not been all that very bad lately. A number of the prominent lighting rods have stopped showing up.
If you tell me their names, I could post on the ASL FB groups how much you languish :cry::cry: their return.

(o_Oo_O Me after the Jazz smack down!) :)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
So I read in another thread about an ASL group on facebook. I do not use facebook and had intended never to do so. Is it worth the hassle to be able to access another group of players? Is it possible to be a facebook user and see nothing except an ASL group?
Opinions please.
You’ll get whatever Facebook wants to give you in your feed but you can click the group link on the side and just see that group’s content.

As to any philosophical qualms about Facebook, that’s between you and them. Your ISP probably sold all your traffic already anyway so I liken it to tilting at windmills without any government intervention on our behalf.