Does the immersion factor of ASL equal the most fun?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I originally just "liked" a post that matched my feelings, I felt no need to post, but other posts got me thinking. What I like is a problem/challenge/puzzle that holds really my attention. That made me a very good programmer, once a program or suite of programs was done I lost interest until someone discovered a bug, thought an aspect was too 'clunky' or required a new feature and then I was back in the game. Though bug hunts could be a right pain and a source of embarrassment, I still got some satisfaction from fixing them.

ASL is closer to real life than so many other games in that it's much more chaotic and unpredictable. That and the sheer range of available scenarios means that I rarely find myself bored, burnt out maybe, but bored, no. In what other game will you find a complete and detailed standardised blocks of rules (IE human code) for doing a parachute and glider landing, capture a gun and use it, then conduct a seaborne evacuation in a blinding snowstorm? In fact the only thing I can think off the top of my head is if you want to take along a few mules for your pack howitzer, there are no rules for parachuting them, nor for truck or ship transporting them either, they have a PP ability but no PP cost.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Immersion for me is what an old ASL friend called 'time warp'. You get started on a scenario ftf at 10 AM, the next time you look at the clock it's 4 PM and you say 'that can't be right'.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.... In fact the only thing I can think off the top of my head is if you want to take along a few mules for your pack howitzer, there are no rules for parachuting them, nor for truck or ship transporting them either, they have a PP ability but no PP cost.
You are looking for bugs where there are none. Move alone sonny.

There were no mule jumps best I know of...maybe off the back of a deuce and a half...

As to the cost of mules on trucks or ships...'the ASL coding/block of rules' accounts for this...it is called the designer code...ie SSR. So EX "Each squad sized mule/horse counter is worth 15PP, and the cost to unload is the same as if a squad."

Now, if you had said that there is no rule for the LCT(4)'s tabby cat then you would have me there.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Now, if you had said that there is no rule for the LCT(4)'s tabby cat then you would have me there.
You should know better than that, Dr. Hershey. ASL is as nearly a comprehensive ruleset as has ever been devised by man. But cats obey neither the laws of physics nor nature. If even God can’t quantify them, how unfathomably presumptuous of ASL’s designers to think they could. I believe therefore that the absence of such a rule shows once again the wisdom of the game’s designers. :D

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
You are looking for bugs where there are none. Move alone sonny.

There were no mule jumps best I know of...maybe off the back of a deuce and a half...

As to the cost of mules on trucks or ships...'the ASL coding/block of rules' accounts for this...it is called the designer code...ie SSR. So EX "Each squad sized mule/horse counter is worth 15PP, and the cost to unload is the same as if a squad."

I did NOT say it was a bug, just lacking a minor feature, not quite the same thing :). As I was describing ASL's extremely comprehensive rules nature, having to think of something so obscure really proves my point.

Now that I brought it up, how about something based upon the lines of 2x (number of legs) or 3x (standing space) the PP cost of humans? A SMC's horse will need a disproportionate amount of space because (A) horses need their own penning but with greater density in bulk and (B) horses gain reassurance from being in a herd.
2x
SqH:20, HsH: 10, SmH:3
3x
SqH:30, HsH: 15, SmH:4

In either case add 50% (FRU) extra for any form of air transport. I myself am inclined to prefer the 3x cost.

:p

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You should know better than that, Dr. Hershey. ASL is as nearly a comprehensive ruleset as has ever been devised by man. But cats obey neither the laws of physics nor nature. If even God can’t quantify them, how unfathomably presumptuous of ASL’s designers to think they could. I believe therefore that the absence of such a rule shows once again the wisdom of the game’s designers. :D
The best cat I have ever known...Julius (a tabby), my sister's, was raised around dogs, and acted like one. That is the key to taming them....and she does not play ASL. ;)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did NOT say it was a bug, just lacking a minor feature, not quite the same thing :). As I was describing ASL's extremely comprehensive rules nature, having to think of something so obscure really proves my point.

Now that I brought it up, how about something based upon the lines of 2x (number of legs) or 3x (standing space) the PP cost of humans? A SMC's horse will need a disproportionate amount of space because (A) horses need their own penning but with greater density in bulk and (B) horses gain reassurance from being in a herd.
2x
SqH:20, HsH: 10, SmH:3
3x
SqH:30, HsH: 15, SmH:4

In either case add 50% (FRU) extra for any form of air transport. I myself am inclined to prefer the 3x cost.

:p
You were bug hunting. Nice try. Stop weaseling (stoating). I'll set the warden after you...it is not even weasel/stoat season yet. A fine beast though the stoat. At he famed ASL Brackin Basement Bash there is a match called the Stoat vs. the Gloat, befitting the two ASL combatants...of which I am neither.

Hmmm,.... recalculating (use the GPS voice...you don't have one, neither do I, but still). It's 40 and 8. ... from the famous box car dimensions.... 40 men or 8 horses. 80 legs to 32....so mule/horse PP on your call is = ????

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
OK, that means a x5 calculation.

SqH:50, HsH: 25, SmH:8

Again, a bit more for a SmH.

IF you were a programmer then you should really know the difference between bug fixes and adding features.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The best cat I have ever known...Julius (a tabby), my sister's, was raised around dogs, and acted like one. That is the key to taming them....and she does not play ASL. ;)
The best cat you've ever known had devolved to level of a dog? I fear your judgment of domesticated animals is as flawed as your judgment of fire tables. ;)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was my sister's cat (I wrote known...not owned0. I am certain the cat reached nirvana as a result. It, in the modern parlance, 'identified' as a dog. My sister even used a 'dog bone tag' for its collar ID.
You as a cat owner are merely 'staff'...as a dog owner I have a wingman. ;) My judgement is sound.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
The best cat I have ever known.......and she does not play ASL. ;)
Ohhhh, but she does!
Just leave a Red Barricades CG or other large scenario set up in a room the cat can enter, and you'll soon find that she does play.
She'll use her own stacking rules, however, be warned!

I once thought I had a doorway thoroughly blocked with a bookcase over 6' high topped with other obstacles.
The cats jumped from the top of the fridge in the next room to the bookcase, then down onto the game table. Not sure how they'd get onto the fridge. :confused:

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
It was my sister's cat (I wrote known...not owned0. I am certain the cat reached nirvana as a result. It, in the modern parlance, 'identified' as a dog. My sister even used a 'dog bone tag' for its collar ID.
You as a cat owner are merely 'staff'...as a dog owner I have a wingman. ;) My judgement is sound.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I own neither. Given my unwillingness to handle the feces of any creature with which I don't share a profound genetic connection, I am and will remain the only domesticated animal in my home. I just happen to favor the obnoxious entitlement of cats over the sniveling sycophancy of dogs.

That and I've missed needling you and derailing Honza threads (if they can be said to have rails at all...) ;)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
This one's still pretty much on the rails so far.

And feline OBA is a very real detractor from game immersion (also not restricted to ASL).