Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Yes, I don't think I tried Overrun more than once or twice before I got the Overrun Flowchart. Now I consider it all the time (maybe a little too much - I've lost more than one bolder-than-should-be AFV).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I don't think I tried Overrun more than once or twice before I got the Overrun Flowchart. Now I consider it all the time (maybe a little too much - I've lost more than one bolder-than-should-be AFV).
What's that old saying? There are old soldiers and there are bold soldiers, but there are few old bold soldiers.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Short cutting math and lumping in modifiers is a sure fire way to get the wrong final answer in ASL.
I was playing another experienced opponent at ASLOK when I charged a HS at a Gun in order to draw his fire; if you don't break/KIA me, I will advance in for CC. He adds up the numbers, "8 plus two, plus two...12 To Hit", then rolls a '6'.

I said, "Great, critical hit, then again the chance of that was pretty good anyway."

"No, Chris, it has to be less than half of the To Hit number, and six is exactly half of 12."

I explained to him that the Modified TH# is 8, and the -2 (Point blank) and -2 (FFMO, FFNAM) modify the dice roll, not the TH#.

"Really???" Yes, really.

"Okay, 8 flat (37L)."

Actually, you get the -2 (FFMO, FFNAM) to the CH effects roll as well.

"Really???" Yes, really.

(I know this is one of the most common examples I've seen of the malady you described.)

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was playing another experienced opponent at ASLOK when I charged a HS at a Gun in order to draw his fire; if you don't break/KIA me, I will advance in for CC. He adds up the numbers, "8 plus two, plus two...12 To Hit", then rolls a '6'.
I said, "Great, critical hit, then again the chance of that was pretty good anyway."

"No, Chris, it has to be less than half of the To Hit number, and six is exactly half of 12."

I explained to him that the Modified TH# is 8, and the -2 (Point blank) and -2 (FFMO, FFNAM) modify the dice roll, not the TH#.

"Really???" Yes, really.

"Okay, 4 flat (37L)."

Actually, you get the -2 (FFMO, FFNAM) to the CH effects roll as well.

"Really???" Yes, really.

(I know this is one of the most common examples I've seen of the malady you described.)
Excellent...but, but, but, your readers [err followers in the modern blog-esquephere] want to know if the gun lost rate! That is why you sacrificed those cardboard warriors...right, right? tell me so...and WE want to know whether your plan worked!

Oh.... is a CH a doubling of FP of Gun when HE is fired at infantry for the RS selected 'target' (only one option in this case)? {another called missed perhaps...}

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Oh.... is a CH a doubling of FP of Gun when HE is fired at infantry for the RS selected 'target' (only one option in this case)? {another called missed perhaps...}
I edited my OP to show that my opponent did call the correct CH FP.

Excellent...but, but, but, your readers [err followers in the modern blog-esquephere] want to know if the gun lost rate! That is why you sacrificed those cardboard warriors...right, right? tell me so...and WE want to know whether your plan worked!
Lost the game, but the tactical situation worked. The HS was evaporated, the Gun kept rate, but I locked his CA in doing so (woods). The rest of the push avoided his CA and the crew's potential SFF.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Having a hobby whose initials are those for the American Sign Language is bad enough, we don't need no airlines stealing our namespace!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
....Lost the game, but the tactical situation worked. The HS was evaporated, the Gun kept rate, but I locked his CA in doing so (woods). The rest of the push avoided his CA and the crew's potential SFF.
Excellent when plan comes together...

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I edited my OP to show that my opponent did call the correct CH FP.

Lost the game, but the tactical situation worked. The HS was evaporated, the Gun kept rate, but I locked his CA in doing so (woods). The rest of the push avoided his CA and the crew's potential SFF.

Nah, he throws his men away like their, I dunno, CARDBOARD or something. Doesn't even put them in the recycle bin!!!

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doing some proofreading for one of LCP's upcoming scenario packs--Blizkrieg in the West Central Campaign
Setting up two scenarios for solo play from another upcoming LCP scenario pack which I have done proofing on--LSSAH 6

George Kelln has some really nice ASL products coming up.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Got AP13 in the mail (thanks Robin!). What a strange scenario pack - almost nothing small in it!