When Marsh becomes Swamp question

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The last panda I saw at the zoo pooped in front of the viewing window.

I hope that's not the one you are referring to.
No. But then I've no idea what an exclusive diet of bamboo shoots will do to a grognard's digestive system. And I don't think we want to know.

Meanwhile I found these tiny clothespins at the store yesterday and I'm fascinated about what anyone would do with them. I bought a bag of them for no other reason than show them to people.
My wife used a few of them to hang washing on a miniature clothesline on her farmyard quilt. I'm sure that a resourceful ASL player or scale modeller could find more novel uses for them.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tend to read it as bamboo being Dense Jungle for all purposes (except as otherwise written), i.e. it is a bamboo hex and a dense jungle hex. I don't know how you would decide which purposes it would be and which it would not be otherwise. I think we have had some conflicting rulings in the past about similar cases so I am not willing to commit absolutely, but that's how I would read it.

JR
The except as otherwise stated lists the differences between dense jungle and bamboo. One of the differences is not whether it affects the marsh-swamp problem. Except as otherwise stated ... did it state otherwise? If not, it is a jungle hex with additional characteristics.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The except as otherwise stated lists the differences between dense jungle and bamboo. One of the differences is not whether it affects the marsh-swamp problem. Except as otherwise stated ... did it state otherwise? If not, it is a jungle hex with additional characteristics.
Here is the "otherwise":
G2.1 ... If not defined as Light, the jungle is considered Dense (2.2). The term "jungle" by itself refers collectively to both types.
So, Bamboo is not included in the term "jungle".

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That's slicing the sausage very thin.
Maybe. But thinly sliced sausage better coveys the taste than thick slabs.
With regard to the problem in question, I do think, it is a distinct difference.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How much are we talking about and how will I collect my winnings?
Your debtors do not need to understand Russian to understand what those muscular bullies with shades in ill-fitting business suits have come to collect...

von Marwitz

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Answer received...

Q. When PTO Terrain is in effect, would a Bamboo hex transform an adjacent Marsh hex into a Swamp hex when that Marsh hex is not adjacent to any Jungle hexes?

A. Bamboo does not transform Marsh into Swamp.

....Perry

MMP

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Answer received...

Q. When PTO Terrain is in effect, would a Bamboo hex transform an adjacent Marsh hex into a Swamp hex when that Marsh hex is not adjacent to any Jungle hexes?

A. Bamboo does not transform Marsh into Swamp.

....Perry

MMP
Can please post it in the Perry Sez sub-folder as well?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Abracadabra allakazam turn this marsh into swamp as fast as you can.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have to wonder about this ruling because now every time a rule says, "x is treated as y except as stated otherwise", I have to wonder whether when another rules says "y does such-and-such" whether it applies to x as well. I see no logical way to decide this except as a Q&A.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have to wonder about this ruling because now every time a rule says, "x is treated as y except as stated otherwise", I have to wonder whether when another rules says "y does such-and-such" whether it applies to x as well. I see no logical way to decide this except as a Q&A.

JR
Your question makes sense, only if you stick to the idea that Bamboo's inherent qualities actively generate swamps.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Your question makes sense, only if you stick to the idea that Bamboo's inherent qualities actively generate swamps.
I have no idea what you mean. Per G3.1 bamboo is treated as dense jungle except as stated otherwise. Per the Q&A, sometimes it isn't. If I had dense jungle in hex A1 and a marsh in hex B1, the marsh would become swamp. If I had bamboo in hex E1 and a marsh in hex F1, the marsh would not become swamp. Hex E1 is not treated like hex A1. How do I tell for which purposes E1 is treated like A1 and for which it isn't? How do I determine when a rule says "jungle" or "dense-jungle" that it also includes bamboo and when it doesn't? The swamp rule doesn't say "bamboo". Do all occurrences of "jungle" or "dense-jungle" exclude bamboo unless it is specifically mentioned? Including the jungle/dense jungle rules?

JR

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
From what I've seen, Perry seems to favor one-word answers, and doesn't elaborate much (but perhaps JR has a better channel to him than the mere mortals).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Actually, MMP recommends questions which require a yes or no answer.
I think that it really helps most of the time.
When an answer (or a question, btw) has the length of a short novel, it becomes hardly readable.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I understand that, and I try to write my questions to Perry in this way. But it also means getting an explanation from him isn't exactly the easiest thing.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I understand that, and I try to write my questions to Perry in this way. But it also means getting an explanation from him isn't exactly the easiest thing.
That may be deliberate. If he explains further, he may open up a can of worms by adding something that he didn't realize had other implications. In this case we can't be sure whether Perry is following a principle, or this is a one-off.

JR