Minimum Rout???

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Is there such a thing?

For example in a night scenario a broken stack is encircled and adjacent to a rubble.

The cost to enter the rubble is 4MF at night, so being encircled would cost 8MF.

As they routers have 6MF but use Low Crawl, can they rout to the adjacent rubble?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
All I can see is A10.5 which seems to prohibit expending more than 6MF, (though it might be worth a question to Perry):

A10.5 ...All broken units (including Conscripts) other than wounded SMC have six MF for use in the RtPh; this amount can never be increased.
As opposed to A4.1 regarding regular movement:

Each unit's movement allotment may be increased, decreased, or restricted by certain circumstances.​

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Low crawl is the rout phase's equivalent of Advance vs Difficult Terrain or Minimum Move. Per A10.52 Low Crawl is a rout of one Location that costs all the MF of the unit, without regard to the actual cost of the terrain. At night, all rout is Low Crawl [E1.54]. During the day a unit may not use low crawl in certain terrain (marsh, wet streams, water obstacle), but at night it may do so (presumably not including the water obstacle, although perhaps one could argue that).

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Low crawl is the rout phase's equivalent of Advance vs Difficult Terrain or Minimum Move. Per A10.52 Low Crawl is a rout of one Location that costs all the MF of the unit, without regard to the actual cost of the terrain. At night, all rout is Low Crawl [E1.54]. During the day a unit may not use low crawl in certain terrain (marsh, wet streams, water obstacle), but at night it may do so (presumably not including the water obstacle, although perhaps one could argue that).

JR
I'm not sure it is a move/rout without regard to to the actual cost of terrain as it certainly does not say that, just that it does cost the entire units allowable MF allotment as if similar to an Assault Move (if an Assault Moving unit must use all or more than its allowable MF to accomplish a move, it isn't considered using Assault Move after all). Interestingly it mentions it is a form similar to Assault Move for movement into an FFE, as I have always been told by many a grognard that FFNAM would not apply as a rout is not movement it is only a rout FFNAM would therefore not apply even if he had routed normally through an FFE (say in a building). In that light it seems somewhat of superfluous statement (confusing or misleading at least).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not entirely on point but does illustrate the likely answer:

A10.52 - Does the Low Crawl rule allow a wounded SMC having 3MF to rout into a hex that requires, in the movement phase, more than 3MF?
A. Yes. {1}

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being only a reply to a letter and never included in any Annual or Journal Official responses or posted on the MMP Q&A/Errata site, I would say its degree of accuracy or applicability is highly questionable.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I'd say the degree of accuracy is rather high, since it most certainly is an answer given by MMP.

Since it is an unofficial Q&A the applicability is for each and everyone to decide.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm not sure it is a move/rout without regard to to the actual cost of terrain as it certainly does not say that, just that it does cost the entire units allowable MF allotment as if similar to an Assault Move (if an Assault Moving unit must use all or more than its allowable MF to accomplish a move, it isn't considered using Assault Move after all).
A10.52: "Low Crawl is a rout of one Location which requires the entire MF allotment of the routing unit." Now I suppose you could regard the terrain cost if you'd like, but you can still make a one Location rout by declaring Low Crawl, which will use all of the unit's MF allotment even if the terrain cost is higher or lower.

Interestingly it mentions it is a form similar to Assault Move for movement into an FFE, as I have always been told by many a grognard that FFNAM would not apply as a rout is not movement it is only a rout FFNAM would therefore not apply even if he had routed normally through an FFE (say in a building). In that light it seems somewhat of superfluous statement (confusing or misleading at least).
I don't know what grognards say, but C1.51 says, "FFMO/FFNAM can apply during the MPh (only)" to attacks for entering a FFE. As you say that makes the statement in A10.52 unnecessary.

JR

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I see all these answers about MP and routing and the like

But isn't the answer "It doesn't have to Rout..... cause it's Night, and It doesn't get eliminated for failure to rout"
It can just sit there, completely surrounded by enemy units and well just sit there

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I see all these answers about MP and routing and the like

But isn't the answer "It doesn't have to Rout..... cause it's Night, and It doesn't get eliminated for failure to rout"
It can just sit there, completely surrounded by enemy units and well just sit there
That's also true. But sometimes you'd like to rout (if possible), e.g. to get to a leader, to get into a more irritating position, to avoid being stomped in CC, etc. Just because you don't have to doesn't mean you don't want to. And sometimes that rout takes more than your MF allotment. Low crawl will get you there.

JR