What boardgames have you played recently?

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Been playing the third iteration of Strategic Command: War in Europe.
Pretty good so far.

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Oniros, a single player card game (you can also play 2 players). Very very simple, very challenging and beautiful. I love it.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASSAL has a decent WS&IM module, I do prefer the Sun Tzu module however, for FTF via VOIP like Skype. Better artwork and graphics overall.

Love the game, then and now. Played a FTF match last summer with someone at the local model shipbuilding club, had a blast, by the end of the game, we both had respective cheering sections bellowing away at each broadside. :D Got someone added to the model shipbuilding club too, now he assembles and paints 40mm miniatures of 18th century sailing ships - friggin'
AWESOME!!! Gotta love the dedication to doing stuff like that so well.

As for Jackson - chalk me up, but after I take down your other two Phantoms flying towards Phuc Yen ;)

KRL, Jon H

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh - the Phantoms huh? Let's see about that ...

:)

VASSAL has a decent WS&IM module, I do prefer the Sun Tzu module however, for FTF via VOIP like Skype. Better artwork and graphics overall.

Love the game, then and now. Played a FTF match last summer with someone at the local model shipbuilding club, had a blast, by the end of the game, we both had respective cheering sections bellowing away at each broadside. :D Got someone added to the model shipbuilding club too, now he assembles and paints 40mm miniatures of 18th century sailing ships - friggin'

As for Jackson - chalk me up, but after I take down your other two Phantoms flying towards Phuc Yen ;)

KRL, Jon H

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My gaming group just finished Angola, fun game!! You really have to think
ahead in the game.

Next up Britannia (Old AH Version), then The Guns of August campaign game.

so many games, wish we had more time!!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob

Good question, I don't even own a copy of 1914. WW1 games
have a funky reputation, I hope GoA turns OK for my group! Lots of stuff on the web about it, including new rules, etc.

Regards
Joe

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I used to play GoA solo a fair bit.
My roommate would come over and ask if it was still the same turn, since so little movement had happened.
It's often a waiting game unless you can manage a breakthrough somewhere (usually north or central Poland or around Przemsyl).

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

KRL, Jon H
Your post Jon got me looking into ZunTzu again. Looks like development on that program stopped cold about 6 years ago. I messed with it some but Vassal still has it beat by leaps and bounds in my opinion.

I would be interested in seeing the WS&IM ZunTsu graphics you mention. A google search turned up zilch for the game box however. Do you have a link?

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played 1914 when it came out and found it to be quite interesting After about 8 hours we made no more progress than they did in real life but getting there was actually fun. Strange

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is the standard MO for WWI Games, slow methodical game "movement". I have read that GoA "picks up" after 1916??

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this is the standard MO for WWI Games, slow methodical game "movement". I have read that GoA "picks up" after 1916??
I really liked GOA and a friend of mine is getting it ready to play on STEAM.....

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LAST Weekend....Formula 1, Railways of the World Eastern US, and Powergrid

Last Thursday, GETTYSBURG by Columbia games. Love those block games.

ASL on Sunday night and Monday night vs. 2 different opponents, Wayne B and Larry Z.

Life is good. I am in full on summer school mode.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Phantoms over Phuc Yen, Chapter 6..........

Tranh Vanh spins his Mig-17 off to the South as he grimaces a smile against the G-forces pushing him into his seat. Those two Yankee Air Pirates now understood they are outclassed by the People's Democratic Republic of Vietnam Air Forces. Positive that his twin streams of 23mm cannon shells had walked into both Yankee planes as they dove for the deck in a corkscrew, he chalked up 4 more likely "guests" for Hoa Lo. Scanning behind him into the karst, he spots two fast moving objects climbing just above the jungle along Thud Ridge. He calls GCI and Tranh was rewarded by a radio call overheard to his fellow pilot and roommate, Van Co.

"He. That will get them for sure." he thought. Co's MiG-21 was deadly at these low altitudes. They Yankees were going to pay for today's attempt to penetrate Hanoi's airspace.

Van Co turned Northwest with the GCI radio call and quickly picked out a pair of slowing Phantoms as they climbed over the karst ridgeline. Kicking in his afterburner to engage them, he rolled in and closed up, his heat- seeking Atolls were uncaged....

No growl. No beep, nothing. "Shit! The warheads were malfunctioning again!" Van cataloged to kick the ground crew all the way from Kep to the Chinese border when he landed. Switching to cannons, he tried to set up a shot, but the Phantoms of Gunslinger flight had seen his contrails and began maneuvering in loose deuce scissors to cover each other. No shots possible, so Van tried to break away, but again, the Yankee maneuvers caused him no end of grief. He could not break and run, for a new a setup without exposing his own MiG to the Yankees. So a vertical climbing barrel roll and over the top into a Split-S. All three jets had somehow managed to maneuver themselves out of any possibility of a shot. Van was confused as to where to head now, and GCI was not responding to his radio calls.

Gunslinger radioed that he was taking control of the flight as a finger four at this time - all US jets were maneuvering independently, and someone was going to die if he didn't get control of the situation ASAP.

"Fours! - break to Rally point Bravo! - repeat - All Fours! Break for Rally point Bravo, ASAP."
"Roger"
"Whiskey 01 copy"
"Whiskey 02 - Wilco"

Now, if they could just get clear of the MiG's and get some pics, and get out of here - this lashup of a flight plan might actually get everyone home......

The MiG 17 went disordered after hitting both Phantoms of Whiskey flight. The wounded Phantoms went disordered as well. Beginning with turn 7, the DRV rolled a MiG-21 flight right into the following gunslinger Phantom flight and both flights got engagement rolls, but bad DRs meant no one could maneuver for a shot. both flights went disordered as well at the end of the engagement, so now all 4 Phantoms are left with finding a rallying point or bug out. There are at least 2 more active MiGs and possibly three that can still engage, as well as AAA and SAM sites - so things look pretty grim for the "Fours" as they spin out towards Thud Ridge seeking cover from a looming SAM radar to their starboard.

Last edited:

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Hoplomachus, Malta Besieged (States of Siege series), Poker, Raid on St. Nazaire, War at Sea, GCACW - Bull Run, Battlecry, Field Commander Alexander, Warfighter, Backgammon, Diablo 3

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Fours are indeed all over the skies!! We can bug out and save whatever footage we have .. or we can hit the gas and go for broke.

Heck, we are Americans!!

(more later .. )

Phantoms over Phuc Yen, Chapter 6..........

Tranh Vanh spins his Mig-17 off to the South as he grimaces a smile against the G-forces pushing him into his seat. Those two Yankee Air Pirates now understood they are outclassed by the People's Democratic Republic of Vietnam Air Forces. Positive that his twin streams of 23mm cannon shells had walked into both Yankee planes as they dove for the deck in a corkscrew, he chalked up 4 more likely "guests" for Hoa Lo. Scanning behind him into the karst, he spots two fast moving objects climbing just above the jungle along Thud Ridge. He calls GCI and Tranh was rewarded by a radio call overheard to his fellow pilot and roommate, Van Co.

"He. That will get them for sure." he thought. Co's MiG-21 was deadly at these low altitudes. They Yankees were going to pay for today's attempt to penetrate Hanoi's airspace.

Van Co turned Northwest with the GCI radio call and quickly picked out a pair of slowing Phantoms as they climbed over the karst ridgeline. Kicking in his afterburner to engage them, he rolled in and closed up, his heat- seeking Atolls were uncaged....

No growl. No beep, nothing. "Shit! The warheads were malfunctioning again!" Van cataloged to kick the ground crew all the way from Kep to the Chinese border when he landed. Switching to cannons, he tried to set up a shot, but the Phantoms of Gunslinger flight had seen his contrails and began maneuvering in loose deuce scissors to cover each other. No shots possible, so Van tried to break away, but again, the Yankee maneuvers caused him no end of grief. He could not break and run, for a new a setup without exposing his own MiG to the Yankees. So a vertical climbing barrel roll and over the top into a Split-S. All three jets had somehow managed to maneuver themselves out of any possibility of a shot. Van was confused as to where to head now, and GCI was not responding to his radio calls.

Gunslinger radioed that he was taking control of the flight as a finger four at this time - all US jets were maneuvering independently, and someone was going to die if he didn't get control of the situation ASAP.

"Fours! - break to Rally point Bravo! - repeat - All Fours! Break for Rally point Bravo, ASAP."
"Roger"
"Whiskey 01 copy"
"Whiskey 02 - Wilco"

Now, if they could just get clear of the MiG's and get some pics, and get out of here - this lashup of a flight plan might actually get everyone home......

The MiG 17 went disordered after hitting both Phantoms of Whiskey flight. The wounded Phantoms went disordered as well. Beginning with turn 7, the DRV rolled a MiG-21 flight right into the following gunslinger Phantom flight and both flights got engagement rolls, but bad DRs meant no one could maneuver for a shot. both flights went disordered as well at the end of the engagement, so now all 4 Phantoms are left with finding a rallying point or bug out. There are at least 2 more active MiGs and possibly three that can still engage, as well as AAA and SAM sites - so things look pretty grim for the "Fours" as they spin out towards Thud Ridge seeking cover from a looming SAM radar to their starboard.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Phantoms Over Phuc Yen - Disaster!!!!

As the minutes tick by, Van Co awaits the call from GCI - nothing. Then all of a sudden another voice over the airwaves cuts in with instructions being fed from GCI. Van Cuong! Ace of the skies - the master of the MiG17 and recently cut into the newer -21 PF model fresh from the Soviet Union. He was going to get Co's kills!! enough of that - a terse - "What are my orders!?!?" emanates from Co's MiG.

Barely a second later from GCI "RTB Hoa Lac."

"dammit!" cursed Co. Today's actions were over for him.

----------------------------------------

Cuong took up a heading and advanced the throttle to full A/B as his MiG roared off over Thud Ridge and along the course given him by ground. Looking up, he picked out the planes of the Yankee Air Pirates and grimaced as he pulled up level and slightly off to the right rear beam.

"Time to die, Yankee" he whispers as he uncages both Atolls and receives a good tone and then growl from both heads almost simultaneously. A quick jerk on the trigger switch, 1 then 2 missiles away and guiding on the track....
Cuong watched in satisfaction as first one and then the other Atoll tracked right up into the tailpipe of the lead Phantom, cruising off without ever seeing the MiG that shot him down. The resulting explosion as the Phantom's fuel tanks detonated sent a shower of debris all over the valley floor below, and a large brownish smoke ball of fire in the sky was all that remained of Gunslinger 01.

Gunslinger 01 turned to cover the RFs as they headed for the rally point. Inadvertently, the gunfighters turned their tailpipes to a closing MiG in order to seek cover from a SAM site coming online. In a second, all that was heard over the radios was a short scream, then a fireball in the sky. No chutes, nothing. Gunslinger 02 was rattled...

"Whiskey, Whiskey. Mayday, Mayday, Mayday! Gunslinger 01 is KIA. Repeat Gunslinger 01 is KIA at this time, no chutes! I'll do my best to cover, but you guys need to pull some weight and get cracking, or we are all going to end up like -01!"

"Gunslinger 02 - Sandy Lead copies - two KIA, no chutes."

"Gunslinger, Whiskey, this is Red Crown relay for Udorn. State intentions. You are cleared to RTB."

Jackson got scattered by an attack setup from a MiG - 17 in turn 7, which set up the last MiG a 21PF for an IR missile shot at the beginning of turn 8, all I needed was good dice and initiative. I drew 1 flight, just enough! We went in on undetected but disordered gunfighters.

engagement rolls left me with surprise, and the bonus there got me two missile shots!

I didn't want to screw this up, so I declared both on the lead plane. missile one tracks with a 18 DR out of 20 possible right into the Phantom for a Aircraft shot down - no crew survival. Missile two missed. Good thing I unloaded both on one plane!

so the MiGs are all but disordered now, and no prospects for early rally. The USAF is two RF-4C damaged and 1 F-4D shot down with a KIA crew of two, and only about 3/8 of the target locations photographed.

The Phantom recon guys could push on - they are facing two known working SAMs coming up and some flak still - but the MiG threat is now greatly diminished.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Phantoms Over Phuc Yen - Epilogue......

With the death of their flight leader, the Phantom crews were all disordered and in near-total chaos. With difficulty, Gunslinger 02 manages to get a semblance of the remaining Fours into a line astern staggered formation, now heading South. He'd made up his mind, two dead and two more planes damaged was just too much risk in the Red River Valley.....

"Red Crown, Iron Guard, Gunslinger up on button 4.. We are RTB at this time, speed of heat. Expect egress over Steel Tiger OpArea within 10 mikes, over."

"Roger, Gunslinger, Red Crown confirms you are RTB, will notify Sandy and Udorn."

"Roger Gunslinger 02, Iron Guard copies. Texaco will be onsta at race-track 3 for you, Angels 15."

Jim Hartmann in Whiskey 01 was shaking from head to toe as the Phantoms egressed out southeast of Thud Ridge, keeping low to mask them from any SAM sites to the North. He had survived his first flight into North Vietnam, and this one into Route Pack 6a, no less. but it wasn't enough. His mentor since arriving at Udorn was now a lingering smoke trail over the jungle valley and he was, for the first time since becoming a Phantom pilot, alone.

The Phantoms returned to Udorn without incident as the MiGs had all bugged out after a full engagement and a successful series of ambushes. Whiskey 02 had a stuck Nose landing gear door, but the emergency T-handle blew all three struts down and locked for a safe landing. The film cassettes were pulled from both RF's as the crews dismounted their jets. Jim told a photo-tech to make damn sure copies of those SAM site photos get over to TacAirOps, TODAY!!!. Two dead aircrew should have earned at least that much hustle on the ground crew......

---------------------------------------------------------

At Hoa Loc airfield, Van Cuong and Van Co stood as they were proclaimed Heroes of the Party. They were awarded an equal share in 2 1/2 kills of Yankee Air Pirates over North Vietnam and held up as shining examples of what the DRV was prepared to do to defend itself against incursions by American aircraft.

________________________________________________________________________________________

When the missile tracked and killed the phantom and its crew, it unknowingly got a recon bird, and that meant both damaged birds were the gunfighters, who had been forced to jettison when damaged earlier, so they were guns only. With little hope to prevent the MiGs from re-forming at airfields and rearming to re-engage on the egress if they pressed on for a possible overflight by the remaining recon bird, Jackson aborted and the Phantoms were untouchable in the 7 or so turns it took them to race off at dash throttle. Recovery rolls had one damaged F-4 down safe and the other touching down good but close to the threshold for danger.

Today, the US learned that a multilayered air defense was something to "Respect" over North Vietnam, just as the scenario title said.

After his trip to Siam Riep, Jackson and I will be going on for the next scenario in his learning curve over Vietnam - "All Tomorrow's Parties" which will finally give him the full complement of tools, jamming, ARMs, full CSAR, Iron Hand, Alpha Strike Package, MigCAP, TarCAP, and StrikeCAP; vs the DRV SAMs, AAA, Fire Cans, and MiGs, along with NVA troops armed with SA-7s. It is the final " learning" scenario in the set, designed to expose the player to the capabilities of the game and its units.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAR, I think the only thing I would have done differently as the US player would have been to break the gunfighters off at the first sign of MiGs, split that flight into two individual planes and use one to engage before the MiGs could while the other screened the recon birds against the next MiGs in line. This would have allowed the guns to switch off from flight to flight screening the RFs until they could get their pics along a single rail line finished and turn for home. Still may well have cost an F-4D, but the mission would have stood a better chance of completion IMO. The DRV used every advantage given and scored big on the good DRs because of them.

KRL, jon H