2017 Texas Team Tournament, June 22-25, Austin, TX

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We kick things off just 3 weeks from today. Please be aware that the great rate on our room block ends a week from today, along with the pre-registration window. While you can continue to register for the tourney after that point, there is no guarantee that I'll have the swag I'm setting up for all pre-registrants. This is our 25th, so show up and help us celebrate.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have officially broken last years record for the number registrants for the tourney (68!), and I still have a few folks who've indicated that they are still coming and will be signing up. Not to worry, we will have plenty of room for everyone. It will be a great time in Texas this summer! The pre-reg and hotel block windows close this Thursday, so if you plan on coming, don't delay. Head on out to the Texas ASL website and check out all of the cool dudes coming to Austin this year.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hotel and pre-registration windows close tomorrow! If you haven't done so yet, make sure to get your hotel reservations in. Remember that you will need to contact the hotel directly [(512) 341-7000] and register under the "Advanced Squad Leader" room block. The rate is $89/night.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We kick it all a week from today! Just got word that the tees are ready and I should be picking up the swag by Monday. I'll try to get the teams out by the end of the weekend. We've got a record crowd of 74 coming this year. We've got plenty of room for everyone.
Words of advice if you haven't attended before:
- Pick out 20 or so scenarios that are on your 'wanna play' list to bring with you, as this helps to narrow down candidates for play pretty quickly.
- Bring at least your rulebook, dice and glass/tower. If you want to bring more of your gear go for it. I will have my kit to borrow from if you and your opponent need anything.
- If you are flying into the airport and catching a ride up to the hotel in lieu of renting a car for the weekend, you can do Uber (they are back in town) or SuperShuttle. Steer clear of hailing a taxi.
- There are few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, but there are generally folks going all of the time out to the large number of places to eat within a mile or two of the hotel, so catching a ride is not a problem.
- If you want to bring anything specific to drink, no problem. Otherwise I provide drinks, water, and snacks over the weekend and beer on Friday and Saturday.

Rick

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have reached escape velocity. Leaving in the AM for where the stars at night are big and bright.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Things kick off tomorrow! We'll have the room set up by this afternoon and folks will start rolling in today. If you want to get started early with a quick game, go for it!

Roundhill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Things kick off tomorrow! We'll have the room set up by this afternoon and folks will start rolling in today. If you want to get started early with a quick game, go for it!
There is a tournament in Texas?:D

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, and meeting some new folks.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well,

It is ON in Austin.

I counted 42 players there this afternoon.

I played Roy C from the Kansas Gang; J183 and it was a hoot....

I played the Germans, and I could not prevent him from winning by the end of turn 4. (Only 4.5 turns).

I can't understand why the Germans are given a PAK 35/36 and an ATR? Use the ATR twice to DM a broke squad.

It was fun, and his "Fanatic French" (imagine that) fought well enough in the VC area to kill 2 squads while I killed 1 Squad of his Fanatics.

Oh well, tomorrow is a new day and the Ost Front will ROCK.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I played Roy C from the Kansas Gang; J183 and it was a hoot....

I played the Germans, and I could not prevent him from winning by the end of turn 4. (Only 4.5 turns).
Roy is good people. Really wish I could have made it for the anniversary bash this year, but I put all of my eggs in one, big ASLOK basket [vacation time & vacation funds]. Maybe next year...sigh.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day 2 at the Team Tournament and I was lucky enough to play Dave Renking in J185

His "Elite" Germans attacked my "Castle" that some say was haunted.

I had 2 - NKVD 6-2-8 Sauads, 4 - 1st Line 4-4-7s, and 5 - Conscripts 4-2-6. A Commisar, 8-1 & 7-0 Inf Ldrs.

This was a 6 turn scenario using boards 65 & 9b.

I had to set up 2 Inf & 3 Conscript squads with an LMG and a 8-1 Ldr within 3 hexes of the CC6 Castle.

All my squads were HIP near the castle. Dave had a tough time cracking the outer defenses with his initial forces and almost had issues with his reinforcements for a moment.

He was inside the perimeter at turn 4; my three screening squads exacted a heavy price of his initial attacking force (4 squads, 1 HS and 1 Crew were KIA before his reinforcements were able to begin killing my "Heroes of the Motherland" with DCs.

I like this scenario and will try it again one day.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the Silver Anniversary edition of the Texas Team Tournament is history and it was a record breaking year for us. Our attendance hit an all-time record, so much so that we've had to expand into a second, adjacent tourney room at the conference center. We had a number of new folks, both new to the hobby and grognards new to the TTT. Hope you all can make your way back next year, June 21-24,2018!

Here are how things wrapped up
Major Johnson: Brian Roundhill
Team Winners: Jay Harms, Dave Reinking, Shane Brannon
10-3 Champion: John Garlic
9-2 Runner Up: Ryan Kent
Starter Kit Champ: Andrew Maly
Close Combat award: Jim Ferrell
Col. Klink (most boxcars): Rich Spilky
Audie Murphy (most snakes): Rich Spilky
Ferocity Fest: Allies (1st place) Paul Sidhu, (2nd Place) Ed Beekman
Axis (1st place) Paul Works, (2nd place) Rich Spilky
Texas ASL Sportsmanship Recognition: Patrick Ireland

And a big 'thank you' to all of our sponsors for this year, they truly went above and beyond for us this year. Make sure to check out the Texas ASL website for links to them.

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
10-3 Champion: John Garlic
Garlic is good, and not just for your health. As many years as I have played, he showed me at last years North Texas Shootout something so simplistically sublime that I would have never thought of doing it. We were in the end-stages of "By Ourselves" and his Germans were just 2 or 3 CVP shy of shutting down my Norwegians. I had a squad way out on one flank in some brush, and he had an 8-1/4-6-7 w/MMG a few hexes away in a building, IIRC. He announced that he was Prep Firing the squad/MMG, but non-leader directed. The shot had no result, and the leader never moved, so a few minutes later I admitted I was going crazy trying to figure out why he chose not to have the 8-1 direct the fire. He replied that had the 8-flat shot broke my squad, the 8-1 would have subsequently ran out and behind them, nailing them for failure to rout. I have my own bag of tactics, but this was not one of them. If 'I' had two German squads and an MMG, I might have considered holding the fire of one to pull the same stunt, but with an 8-1 leader it truly would have never crossed my mind.

Congratulations, John!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ha! The Spilkster got most snakes AND boxcars! Good karma.