New Dispatches from the Bunker

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

Just received my cope of the new DB 20th Anniversery issue. It has a CG complete with printable map and VASL map.

I don't know shit about it yet because I just got it and haven't read the rules or played it.

I just wanted to be the first ASL weenie to post this on the forum.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded the issue and map.

I intend to print the map at Kinkos tomorrow. I will share what I paid for it. Wouldn't mind to know what others are paying....

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Re-subscribed. (Of course)

I am real happy that a VASL map actually comes with the issue. Can't be happier. Thanks so much to all involved.

Rgds Jack

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I live in a smallish town of about 20k. The closest Kinko's-type place is 90 miles from here. We have two small print shops. One was willing to do it in 11"x17" panels for $7 (how I had my Lone Canuck 'Just For Fun' maps done). I went with the other, which quoted me $23 and a two-day wait. They're doing it in one piece on a poly-matte cardstock with a white 2" border around it.

Ordinarily the first shop is my printer of choice, but this just begged for the deluxe treatment. Rather than a one-off scenario like the LC offerings, this has 5 scenarios and a 5-date CG. I'm happy with the decision!

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

Just received my cope of the new DB 20th Anniversery issue. It has a CG complete with printable map and VASL map.

I don't know shit about it yet because I just got it and haven't read the rules or played it.

I just wanted to be the first ASL weenie to post this on the forum.
I did not see a VASL Map loaded into my copy. I have the printable one. I know that they are supposed to have one being done.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All,

All joking aside, I have had a chance to go through this new issue. First, there is a the usual excellent article by Carl Nogueira on LATW weapons.

Second, this CG looks like a blast. I can hardly wait to play it. A late war slugfest, not too huge but still meaty enough for many hours of ASL death and death destruction. A VASL map is included so us VASLers can start right away. The .pdf can be printed at your local printers as needed and customized how you like. There are some virtual counters and and a sniper variant that looks like a throwback to the SL ones for those who like that sort of thing. They not needed to play the game, however. There are four nice sized scenarios to get the feel for the map and the situation.

Plus, you know those New Englanders have given this a thorough play test by top players.

As an aside, I hesitated to renew my subscription to DB because it was in electronic form. No paper to touch. When I finally did this, I couldn't be happier. No scenarios to scan, and it keeps prices down. Do it!

Personally, I don't need any more counters to jack with clipping and sorting. Maps are always cool. I would rather have a solid product with a minimum of errata I can jump into an PLAY!

DB has been more for your ASL dollar for a long time and this looks like that tradition is continuing in spades.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I did not see a VASL Map loaded into my copy. I have the printable one. I know that they are supposed to have one being done.
There should be two map files, the .pdf and the VASL one....I'm sure Vic will send you a file if ask him.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

So is the CG like RB IE read a couple of pages of rules, minimal SSR verbiage (no wall to wall text and several paragraph's of SSR's) in both scenarios and CG?

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

I am just in tears - such a fabulous product and so well done!!!! - The boys from NE America are just way too cooool!!:cool::D:jig:

Honestly - I wish others would do such a great job! - Down under for a 20 dollar product you pay 40 dollars postage and they are nice when they come - sometimes damaged but then I have to go through the hassle of the scanning (Pete takes these and does the counters and boards which is a hassle only super Pete could put up with!) - Why do others not follow - BFP does a good job on the added stuff (VASL boards and errata), LC does a little but MMP needs to do more for us that pay the super postage fees - I am not into paying for postage!

I know it might lead to a few less sales when electronic things are shared but my last invoice to MMP was 100+ and I stopped buying from then after that and now buy from Gamer's armory where they bundle all MMP and TPP to get me the absolute cheaper price for shipping (great customer service!)

I would be more happy to give all the money to MMP (to cover less sales if that actually happens) and have an electronic file - maybe one that can only be printed and not opened by others? - those computer geeks are clever! - they can do it. Note I am not saying that an actual product will not exist for those who need to fill their shelves!

Back to the point

My congrats again on this a significant step forward for Dispatches - you men of honor deserve a crown for this one

Cheers

Rob:highfive:

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spent $20 on a map and b/c my color printer stinks, another $7 on color copies of the scenarios and a few other things. Just wow is all I can say.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Tom Morin already supplied. It is already uploaded - this looks really cool.
Tom Morin was The MAN behind much of this Issue and all Kudos really should go his way, he put in a ton of time and effort into this and I helped a bit
with development but mostly with playtesting. Also a shout out to everyone who playtested.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this issue a smashing success (Carl N. this is aimed at you :)

Thanks again for the playtesters who took on the Campaign Game and those 2 large scenarios, they are beasts that need to be played!

Thanks also to those who replied to this thread, especially AZslim, great feedback coming in already, Vic.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
I downloaded the issue and map.

I intend to print the map at Kinkos tomorrow. I will share what I paid for it. Wouldn't mind to know what others are paying....
I just picked up my printed copy. Total cost for full color/full size was $10.68. I had this done by our local construction drawing/blueprint printer. It should be cheaper than Kinkos. Note the paper is typical printer paper so will want to store rolled in a tube to protect.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If someone has the map printed out by a professional, please take some photos and share with me, so I can put them on my website. Thanks!

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Hi All

I am just in tears - such a fabulous product and so well done!!!! - The boys from NE America are just way too cooool!!:cool::D:jig:

Honestly - I wish others would do such a great job! - Down under for a 20 dollar product you pay 40 dollars postage and they are nice when they come - sometimes damaged but then I have to go through the hassle of the scanning (Pete takes these and does the counters and boards which is a hassle only super Pete could put up with!) - Why do others not follow - BFP does a good job on the added stuff (VASL boards and errata), LC does a little but MMP needs to do more for us that pay the super postage fees - I am not into paying for postage!

I know it might lead to a few less sales when electronic things are shared but my last invoice to MMP was 100+ and I stopped buying from then after that and now buy from Gamer's armory where they bundle all MMP and TPP to get me the absolute cheaper price for shipping (great customer service!)

I would be more happy to give all the money to MMP (to cover less sales if that actually happens) and have an electronic file - maybe one that can only be printed and not opened by others? - those computer geeks are clever! - they can do it. Note I am not saying that an actual product will not exist for those who need to fill their shelves!

Back to the point

My congrats again on this a significant step forward for Dispatches - you men of honor deserve a crown for this one

Cheers

Rob:highfive:
Thanks Rob!!! Appreciate it, Big-Time, Vic.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
What's the dimensions (metric if possible - otherwise I'll do the conversion) of the full map? I'm not sure if I can find a local shop to print it on sufficiently thick paper (plus, if it's a bit large, it should be reasonably foldable).