How exited are you about the Korean War module?

How excited are you about the Korean War module?

• Total voters

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would prefer MMP to stick to objectivity and when after reviewing a submission package accept or reject it upon the merits of the package. Thankfully MMP did just that.
When you run ASL it will be a dark day indeed. It will be known as the Imperial Age of ASL.
Piss off. My personal opinion was specifically asked for; I gave it--and politely, too.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
All I want to know, from those of you that know, will it have the Darkhorse Battalion's assault on Wolmi-do?

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I would prefer MMP to stick to objectivity and when after reviewing a submission package accept or reject it upon the merits of the package. Thankfully MMP did just that.
When you run ASL it will be a dark day indeed. It will be known as the Imperial Age of ASL.
MMP endorsement is not always tantamount to the success of a product. Very often yes, but not always. Anyway there is no reason to attack Pitman in particular whereas he has only expressed his opinion, and his opinion -right or wrong- was not so different to what some others have already written on this thread.
(I myself am looking foward to the release of Korea btw)

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Piss off. My personal opinion was specifically asked for; I gave it--and politely, too.
Not a chance.

It did not ask you about whether ASL should be extended beyond WWII. It asked you to comment specifically on Korea, which is why I cut out those comments about Korea which you gave and are fair enough as to your opinion and which are to the OP. The point I quoted was about your off target remark whether ASL should exist beyond ASL. That was not part of the topic at hand it was a tangent, not needed here, but you could start such a thread.

So you got rightly gigged.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP endorsement is not always tantamount to the success of a product. Very often yes, but not always. Anyway there is no reason to attack Pitman in particular whereas he has only expressed his opinion, and his opinion -right or wrong- was not so different to what some others have already written on this thread.
(I myself am looking foward to the release of Korea btw)
See post 163.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sheesh. Kinda harsh.

His opinion was no better or worse than many of those who weren't interested.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would prefer MMP stick to WW2; Korea will necessarily be night-heavy; don't like the boards very much; not all that crazy about some of the rules as I've seen them described; attacks on fortified hill positions get boring for me; etc. Just doesn't float my boat. Your buoyancy may vary.
I'm worried too about the possibility of lots of Night, especially with Chinese on the attack scenarios. Also interested to see if MMP will incorporate other non-Hill boards to pair up with those in KW. I've been encouraged by the new rules I've heard about, although I haven't read much.

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Until I get my hands on everything MMP produces for WWII, my buoyancy is not sea worth. If it wasn't for the geomorphic boards, I'd have sunk already.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sheesh. Kinda harsh.
Maybe. But read on...

His opinion was no better or worse than many of those who weren't interested.
He went off topic with regards to the applicability of ASL in other theaters beyond Korea (not the topic here) and in addition commenting on what MMP should or should not do as regards ASL in general that is why I quoted that particular text and rebuked him. Where he spoke directly to his views on Korea (which is what this thread is about) I made no comment on his opinion; his remarks stood unquoted, and therefore not harshly treated. I think you can see that, as should others.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm worried too about the possibility of lots of Night, especially with Chinese on the attack scenarios. Also interested to see if MMP will incorporate other non-Hill boards to pair up with those in KW. I've been encouraged by the new rules I've heard about, although I haven't read much.
There are not 'lots' of night scenarios in the pack. This was outlined long ago in another thread on the old GS, I believe you took part in that thread, but I cannot recall exactly and do not want to place you in a space you were not. One cannot un-regulate how the Chinese opted to attack. Or one could look at it from the flip side, the Chinese were on the defensive when the UN attacked by day, and you could look to those scenarios.

I think board design will be opened up by the pack, and its boards might in time come to mesh with Fort-style boards of a future design, as well as other board maker designs.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The last time I was real excited about an official module was Rising Sun (I never had Gung Ho and Bushido). Korea is very different fighting of course but nonetheless I am absolutely sure it's well researched and it's going to open my ignorant eyes to another theater of war.

Plus Korea means more than Korea. Korea promises to unlock more scenario situations previously unexplored. That's even more exciting!

So, Night scenarios? Bring it. That's they way they fought it, that's the way we play it.

( Been thinking about Dense Jungles at Night lately ... John K - whenever we get a chance! )

I voted a 10. A good number of other people did to, or thereabouts. I got a bulk order of 12 (or 14?) saying : bring it people, BRING IT!!!

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I gave it a 5.

This was not so much because of great personal animosity toward the designers of the module, but more because I'm new to ASL, so it doesn't really expand my horizons. I mean, sure, 16 scenarios, but I already have 600+ scenarios which I've never played. I mean, sure, North Koreans and jets and whatnot, but I have yet to play any amphibious landings or DTO or caves or bocage, etc, etc, so the new stuff that Korea adds is a drop in the bucket of WWII stuff that I, personally, haven't experienced yet.

However, I do have the collector's instinct (alas?) so I'm sure I'll get it and enjoy sorting the counters and whatnot. And my guess is that I will have fun playing the (daytime) scenarios, but by the time I get around to them I won't have the excitement for it that the more experienced players do.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I gave it a 5.

This was not so much because of great personal animosity toward the designers of the module, but more because I'm new to ASL, so it doesn't really expand my horizons. I mean, sure, 16 scenarios, but I already have 600+ scenarios which I've never played. I mean, sure, North Koreans and jets and whatnot, but I have yet to play any amphibious landings or DTO or caves or bocage, etc, etc, so the new stuff that Korea adds is a drop in the bucket of WWII stuff that I, personally, haven't experienced yet.

However, I do have the collector's instinct (alas?) so I'm sure I'll get it and enjoy sorting the counters and whatnot. And my guess is that I will have fun playing the (daytime) scenarios, but by the time I get around to them I won't have the excitement for it that the more experienced players do.
Absolutely, different strokes for different folks.

I only started playing ASL two years ago, so I understand what you are saying quite well.

Allow me to offer an alternate view, which is what I experienced. To learn ASL, it's best to play someone. The more experienced that someone is the better. At the same time, you'd hope that someone also get something out of it, otherwise, they won't be playing you for long. When you have the latest modules and can play whatever the more experienced players might throw at you, your opportunities to learn from them increase.

Plus getting the in print modules when they are in print saved me a pretty penny from not having to chase them up when they are OUT of print.

This is my experience. Welcome to the hobby mate.

Rgds Jack

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's a great point, and I would say that my likelihood of buying the module is a 9 or 10, muchly for the reasons you give. But it's precisely because I'm going to get the module when it comes out, and then play the scenarios piecemeal along with a whole bunch of other new (to me) things--this is why I had to ding it on the excitement scale. Because I'll never have the same "this is a shiny new toy full of wonderful novelty that I can't get elsewhere" feeling that more experienced players are clearly looking forward to.

(By the way, I did have that feeling with Yanks, which gave me in one blow the ability to play 100s of scenarios which I owned, but lacked the boards or OBs to play.)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
That's a great point, and I would say that my likelihood of buying the module is a 9 or 10, muchly for the reasons you give. But it's precisely because I'm going to get the module when it comes out, and then play the scenarios piecemeal along with a whole bunch of other new (to me) things--this is why I had to ding it on the excitement scale. Because I'll never have the same "this is a shiny new toy full of wonderful novelty that I can't get elsewhere" feeling that more experienced players are clearly looking forward to.

(By the way, I did have that feeling with Yanks, which gave me in one blow the ability to play 100s of scenarios which I owned, but lacked the boards or OBs to play.)
I hear ya. Know however you don't have to have everything to play.

Other players have bits and pieces as well. Since you are in Mass, you'll be happy to know you are around one of the ASL epicenters packed with fanatics!!

Rgds Jack

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just doesn't float my boat. Your buoyancy may vary.
That would describe my feelings about almost everything about the PTO involving the Marines or the Eastern Front after 1941, but to each their own.

I'm on the fence about Korea. I pre-ordered it and am looking forward to it. It might be interesting ... or not, but I'm happy for the guys who are excited about it. Gotta be more interesting than the upcoming Ponyri HASL, but I know a lot of you are pawing the ground over that. Enjoy ...

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The last time I was real excited about an official module was Rising Sun (I never had Gung Ho and Bushido). Korea is very different fighting of course but nonetheless I am absolutely sure it's well researched and it's going to open my ignorant eyes to another theater of war.

Plus Korea means more than Korea. Korea promises to unlock more scenario situations previously unexplored. That's even more exciting!

So, Night scenarios? Bring it. That's they way they fought it, that's the way we play it.

( Been thinking about Dense Jungles at Night lately ... John K - whenever we get a chance! )

I voted a 10. A good number of other people did to, or thereabouts. I got a bulk order of 12 (or 14?) saying : bring it people, BRING IT!!!
Please allow me that vicious remark:

Given the very large number of Chinese that are likely to be slaugthered in each Korean scenario, your enthusiasm is equivalent to turkeys voting for Christmas.

Sorry, but i couldn't help myself. :oops:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Please allow me that vicious remark:

Given the very large number of Chinese that are likely to be slaugthered in each Korean scenario, your enthusiasm is equivalent to turkeys voting for Christmas.

Sorry, but i couldn't help myself. :oops:
Perhaps it is more like Americans being interested in Bataan or Belgians wanting some of the 1940 European or the 1942 Indonesian campaigns. It was perhaps a dark time in your history, but it is your history none-the-less.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Perhaps it is more like Americans being interested in Bataan or Belgians wanting some of the 1940 European or the 1942 Indonesian campaigns. It was perhaps a dark time in your history, but it is your history none-the-less.

JR
I agree with you (EXC: in Indonesia it was the Dutch) but you took my point a bit too seriously.
BTW the scenarios where US forces are slaugthered in large numbers are thin on the ground in ASL (maybe because there weren't such you may answer). ;)