Rohan Fun

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey!
Well... I'm still here and playing LotRO and have to say that the Quests in Rohan (including the Epic) may be the best the game has offered yet.
I've yet to be in any hurry to leave an area unexplored or "quested out."

The story lines (if you follow them) are filled with the danger & threats of Saruman throughout & Sauron (along the eastern borders).
From your first entry into Rohan (The Wold) and coming upon the settlement of Langhold under threat of immediate attack by Orcs the story of the plight of the people of Rohan just grows more intense and "fun."
I so enjoyed helping & saving the Rohhirim that I broke down & got a Pocket Item that stops you from gaining Experience so that I would not out level an area and miss out on any of the excitement of the quests.

The Epic Quests are "believable" (as far as they can go) and compelling to do and finish. There are a lot of surprises thrown in and of course the fun of meeting up with the important characters from the books.

Some of the quests overlap between areas due to the overall threats going on in Rohan and can take you out of an area or propel you along before you can finish up an area.
I had to go online more than once to pick up where I left off one quest story or find out which quests I had moved past in order to pick up the next story line in the area I wanted to adventure in. When I have finished up an area I've gone, "that's sad..." and reluctantly moved along down the road.

There are so many interesting quests to do (for me) that I have yet to make it to Helms Deep (although I could have had I just followed the Epic Quest line). But I want to "Fight my way" to that point by completing all the quests leading up to that epic battle.

That said: I'm still NOT a fan of Mounted Combat and have done as little of it as possible while finding out that that "little bit" is enough to get the required quests done.
My only advise for a player is to get anything that gives you "range combat" in Mounted Combat as trying to keep up with the enemy riders is crazy so I just normally ride in a tight circle just wear down the enemy as they ride BY me.
Thankfully the DEV's said there will only be a few Mounted Combat Quests in the next Update "Path's of the Dead."

Good Hunting to you!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice. I'm glad you are having fun.

Did you try Helm's Deep and the "Big Battles" yet?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, it's 3 months later and I'm STILL adventuring in Rohan with my main alt (95th Burglar)... :)
I'm getting closer to the Helms Deep Quest(s) & have not done any "Big Battles" yet.

I haven't been playing non-stop or even playing my Burg all the time I'm playing but, I'm still in no hurry to race through this region and still using the "no experience" token to keep from leveling.
Without it I would have out leveled most of the regions quests very quickly months ago & been "forced forward." Seriously where's the fun in that?
I bought the game to quest throughout all of Middle Earth not race ahead just to get to the latest updates end quest and have nothing to do until the next update arrived.
{For some odd developers reason you now level WAY TOO FAST in this game but with the no-EXP" token all the quests are fun to do & at least pose some kind of effort & challenge and aren't simple no combat walk thru's.}
I'm about to get a few more such tokens for other alts for the exact same reason- to enjoy all the quests in all the areas & not out level them doing just 1 area.

The only drawback is when characters get to Moria and then there's just 1 line of quests going forward for everyone: Moria> Lothlorien> Mirkwood> etc. Before that you could split up characters & do "same level quests" in completely different areas (north / east / south) so once in Moria the repetition of running multiple characters on the same quests gets old. With But Rohan having so many areas & quests I can see running different characters "fully" in different areas and leveling slowly (using the no-EXP token on & off) without too much repetition.

Anyway, still enjoying the game and eager but in no hurry to see the West Gondor Region. :)

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's now a month further along and think I've done almost all of the Rohan quests and I'm finally at Helms Deep and my next quest is the "Epic Battle" of Helms Deep. (I had a blast & I spent a month of non-leveling fun to finally let my character advance up 1 level to 96th now that I'm at HD)
So I did the Epic Battles tutorial and ... what?

It looks to be an entire game inside the game & the time spent making it must have been extensive and for what?
You have 3 different "classes" you can play and advance up multiple Epic Battle skill trees that (at first glance) do nothing except help you in Epic Battles it doesn't look like it helps me assisting the Fellowship or getting on to Mordor.
I want to fight the battle of Helms Deep and MOVE ON. It looks to be a huge time sink like "Skirmishes" that you can earn titles and "stuff" and getting "stuff" is the very last reason I'm playing this game.
It looks complicated and made for players who have nothing else to do after rushing to cap one week after the cap level was advanced.

Anyway I'll be giving it a go soon but it's not really thrilling me at first glance and I noted there's another Epic Battle at Pelargir so it's another thing they are forcing upon us (like skirmishes) outside of the main game.
I hope for all the effort it looks to be it turns out to be fun. (I may drop back and run some lower alts first...)

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally jumped into the Helm's Deep Epic Battle and = total chaos.

I had no clue based on the "mission" as to what to do exactly & it was just a mess as the enemy would just ignore me & run past me...
I then got "side-mission" warnings that once again I had zero idea about doing so after a while I just exited the battle in frustration- not a good beginning.

I went online & watched a video someone posted to get a clue about this Epic Battle and even then the two players in it were just standing around quite a bit (obviously talking between themselves about what to do) or running around "half-lost" most of the time. I checked some other stuff and I THINK I have a some idea of what to do in that battle. It appears you really need 2 players to do it right so that's something need to work on.
However I haven't been back to it since then and I'm in no hurry to either (sad).

As I thought I might hitting the "Epic Battle System" I just jumped back to play some lower alts questing in areas I enjoyed.
Eventually though I'll want to get my Burg going again and through the HD area and move on...

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turbine made no effort to explain the system before people had to play it.

"Big battles" aren't very popular with those who learned about them either.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well...

All I saw of it was the first "DIKE" part but it seems sort of odd that you are expected to run around over the whole battle field to stop "something going on" all at one time (basically abandoning the area you were just in to it's own fate again).

Some missions seem way too contrived just to pad it: protect a statue while you have 10,000 Orcs currently overrunning you... while in contrast the mission to save the stable horses seems sensible.

I'd have preferred just having regular but intense missions (doing your small part in a huge battle) with cut scenes of the mass battle going on around you instead of being asked protect the entire front line & BUILD a catapult in the middle of the battle. I do hope that the missions (when I start again) are a bit more focused as they go along.

I don't plan on redoing any of it (they can be done multiple times) just to get stuff (just like the skirmishes), I want to fight the battle, survive it and move on.
I had a lot of fun getting to HD and hope some of it is indeed fun & not a chore.