Recent content by Uberdave

1. U

New Movie: Saints and Soldiers

'Selected theaters' usually means New York and LA only. I live in the LA metro area and will post a review after (and if) I see it. The trailer seems to show all the typical WW2 movie cliches; the tough sergeant, the religious sniper, the cynical medic. Also has some questionable themes...
  2. U

Soviet/Russian military movies

If you examine the actual borders in this dispute, you will find that the Soviet version of the Mongolian border was stretched farther into into the Manchuoko plain than was agreed internationally. The Japanese 'invasion' only served to push back the soviet-backed Mongols to the border which...
  3. U

"Firstly, Khalkhin-Gol conflict was in Mongolia where Japaneses invaded." According to the Soviet point of view. Japanese contention was that area of question belonged to puppet-state of Manchuoko, or 'manchuria' as known in the west.
  4. U

Are there any movies about the Khalkin-Gol conflict in manchuria 1939? I remember seeing a Japanese-made movie protraying a group of defeated Jap soldiers which were cut off and lost. They wandered through the wastelands and steppes before being caputured by the Soviets. There was a trilogy...
  5. U

@ Andrey "DEEP REAR is place which is far from frontline." Yes, I know. I was just making a joke...even if it was a bad one. :toast:
  6. U

DEEP in the REAR? Is it a homosexual love story between two young soldaty? :banana:
  7. U

Great list! Ive been wanting to order 'Come and See', but the cheapest copy Ive found is about US $30.
  8. U

USMC fps "First to Fight" in development

Atomic, the developers of the Close Combat series, produced an unofficial title called Close Combat: Marine. It was similar to the Flashpoint mod...used only by Marines for training purposes. CC:First to Fight has some former Atomic developers/employees on their staff, but I dont know the...
  9. U

The Ultimate WW2 movie thread

Other than one US sergeant's psychotic break (which would eventually progress into PTSD later in life), I didnt see much in the film re: psychological disorders. The broken morale of the defeated Japanese soldiers was depicted quite well, however.
  10. U

Movie: The Thin Red Line What did you think of this flick?
  11. U

From what Ive heard Band of Brothers II will be centered on guys from the 1st Marine Division in the Pacific theater. Dont know too many details as it is still in production, but supposedly Hanks and Spielburg are once again producing... @ Minotaur yes, that scene with the guys taking on...
  12. U

@ tetsuko47 : you teach at KU? thats my alma mater...class of 1997. go hawks!
  13. U

The Road To Baghdad

Its basically the Close Combat engine with a few tweaks. Most vet CC gamers consider it merely a mod of that game.